"New" members with friends......

Uberragend

TDI
'02 Golf 2Dr 5M Indigo blue, '03 Golf 2Dr 5M Candy white
I have now been PM'd three times in the last month by supposedly "New" members, telling me that they had a "friend" that had the part I have posted as WTB on here, and that I should email them directly. Followed by an email address. Never seen this before. I emailed the first address, and got crickets. Look for the "New" member that sent me the original PM, and they are nowhere to be found on the site anymore. That was a month ago. Today, I got TWO more PMs, from a different "New" member showing as having registered on here today. The PMs were related to two different WTB items I have listed on this site: both directing me to contact different people with the same email address, saying this person has the part I am looking for. All three of these messages tell me the "friend" who has the part is in Virginia.
Its obviously some sort of scam....I just can't figure out what the deal is. Anyone else have this experience?
George

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I have now been PM'd three times in the last month by supposedly "New" members, telling me that they had a "friend" that had the part I have posted as WTB on here, and that I should email them directly. Followed by an email address. Never seen this before. I emailed the first address, and got crickets. Look for the "New" member that sent me the original PM, and they are nowhere to be found on the site anymore. That was a month ago. Today, I got TWO more PMs, from a different "New" member showing as having registered on here today. The PMs were related to two different WTB items I have listed on this site: both directing me to contact different people with the same email address, saying this person has the part I am looking for. All three of these messages tell me the "friend" who has the part is in Virginia.
Its obviously some sort of scam....I just can't figure out what the deal is. Anyone else have this experience?
George
Moderator here. Typical of other recent scammers, so just report the posts and we'll take care of them.

Uberragend

TDI
'02 Golf 2Dr 5M Indigo blue, '03 Golf 2Dr 5M Candy white
Message received. Will do.
Thank you!
George