NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
Hi all, I am new to the site. I don't have a VW TDI yet, but am seriously considering purchasing one. I am not new to Diesels, I currently own a 2006 Dodge Ram with the 5.9L Cummins TD in it.

I test drove a 2011 manual trans Jetta last week and was impressed with the car in general. If I go ahead with the purchase the car will be used as a "company car" for outside sales calls. I average about 35K miles a year.

I was impressed with the features of the car until I read here about all the features that I can no longer get. :D

From the looks of peoples signatures fuel economy will be within the window sticker ratings.

Are there still issues with EGR and intake clogging on the 2011? Any other issues that would deter someone from getting one of these?

I'm glad I found this site and hope to soon be showing off my new Jetta here.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Because of the way the EPA tests for mileage, most gas cars get less mileage than the EPA estimates. However most diesel cars (VWs at least) tend to get better mileage than the EPA estimates.

The 2009+ TDI engines are VERY different from the earlier ones. So far there has been no real issues with EGR and intake clogging, but only time will tell how they work long term.

Welcome to TDIClub

Have Fun!

Don

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the welcome.

I am waiting for my annual review, assuming it is good (job secure) I will begin negotiations on the Jetta. Does anyone have any input on how low to make my initial offer? Typically I start offering around 30% below MSRP on American cars and then come up some to a mid point between the dealers high offer. Is this a reasonable strategy on German cars?

jeepinjason

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Wow! Sounds like you are in the same boat as I am! I also have a 2006 Dodge Megacab Laramie with the 5.9 and I am looking at the TDI for my daily driver.

To give you an idea on pricing, my local stealership has a TDI w/Nav, auto, and JTS appearance package MSRP at $26,741 and a "special" price on them of $25,914. I am not sure that they are dealing a bunch below MSRP on these, but hopefully someone will chime in on their purchase price.

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
The sticker on mine was over 27k (nav, appearance, car-go, all weather mats, tint)

I walked out the door with mine for the price on the sticker.

Pyke

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI--- DSG
The fuel economy you will get on these vehicles are in the 40s... That is if you drive it like you stole it (ok, maybe 38MPG)... so you will get better than EPA.

It is hard to negotiate on these vehicles since so few are made, and in high demand for how many are made. But, you should be able to get 1k off sticker.

jeepinjason

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
PA is 1,000 miles from here and by the time you figure the plan ticket, gas, and probably a hotel, it would cost more to get one from him.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
PA is 1,000 miles from here and by the time you figure the plan ticket, gas, and probably a hotel, it would cost more to get one from him.
you'll buy it from him and i'm sure he can ship it for you for around 300$, no need to go there to pick up. You already know what you want bc you have test driven the car, all you need is a better price.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the info guys. I have been reading a lot of stuff in the forum today. Right now my truck is my DD vehicle and I will miss it when it's time to go back to driving a car. At least if I get the Jetta it will be another oil burner, and I can mod it after the warranty is up.

BTW, the truck is going to stay with me, it will just not be the DD vehicle any more. It will begin a slow transformation from a 450hp to a 600hp beast. :cool:

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I am waiting to get an offer from my dealer. I called them today after getting my annual review with a new boss. It went well so I told my salesman what I needed and he will email me an offer today. Fingers crossed that the offer is good.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
First offer tendered and refused. :D I sent an email back and just got off the phone with the dealer. He is going to talk with his sales manager next. :)

At least I am not sitting in the dealership with them playing games and wasting my time. That is better then most dealers already.

Now if they will come off the price more then $600. :(

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
I got him to invoice and at 3.99% apr for 4 years but I can't get the last little bit out of him. They have a $399 "document fee" and Emunds web site shows a TMV of a little below invoice. :D

He wouldn't budge any more and I gave him a hard ceiling on my payment with time and down payment limited too.

I told him I would have to sleep on it. I guess I'll see what tomorrow brings......

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
I talked to my wife and decided to cave in. I am accepting their final offer and taking delivery tonight! :cool: More later........:D

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
Id say you made out good. cant wait to see her! (wife or car)

... lol I kid, great choice!