New member & TDI owner & just replaced my Valve Cover Gasket, questions..

MIDTDIER

TDI
Mk4 BEW 2005
Hello,

I am new to VW and TDI's
Traded an early 90s ford diesel truck for a 2005 Jetta Wagon automatic GLS BEW.
It has 151k miles, over 13k$ in maintenance in the past 6 years. In good condition.
Getting about 41 in town, 44-47 highway, estimating from a couple hundred miles.
Its very comfortable even so I've been told by a shop the control arm bushings and motor mounts are shot.

So, while flushing my trans fluid (fluid was black, possibly never changed before, I think it shifts fine?, sometimes high over 2.5k rpm, sometimes a gentle thump) and doing a tensioner and a belt at a Euro shop, they said my timing belt was good(done 70k miles ago) but I have a valve cover leak. But next appointment is over a month, for over 300$.

So I did it my self, couldn't find much formal guides online, besides that it should be torqued to 7ft lb.
The EGR valve was a tricky with the fact that it had to be turned to be removed.
Not sure if the timing belt cover had to be removed, I did remove it as I read it somewhere.

The doubts whether I did a good job:
1. Used a lot of break cleaner with a single rag that became very dirty.
2. Had foamy gunk from the underside of the engine cover get in the valves area. Tried cleaning it. Not sure if it all got out.
3. Was not sure where to apply the sealant or how much. It's a victor reinz product.
4. Wonder if you folks would mind giving your opinion about my camshaft even so didn't turn the engine to show more of it, as I wasn't sure how.

So wonder what's the worse case scenario about 1, 2 and 3.

I installed a malone stage 1 yesterday with dynamic egr and idle.
Got a scangauge in the mail.
And waiting to receive a new subframe because apparently mine is bent, before I can install the Atlas skid plate that I've had for a few days.
I tried 'inserting" photos in this thread but not sure how.
So here are links to them.
Two of them of with the sealant, wonder if the amount if good etc.
Looks like i might have too much oil as well on the dipstick.

I appreciate any feedback about the rig or the post if I can make it easier to understand.

we'll see if the car will still leak oil.

Thank you

Last edited:

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Welcome to TDI Club!
BEW is a good engine, but can suffer from premature cam wear especially with use of off-spec oil.
As a non-BEW owner, I can't tell if your cam is in good shape or not from the pics.
Worst case
1. What did you use brake cleaner for? Cleaning the gasket seal face? I don't see a downside there.
2. Foam particles went into the head? If you got out all you could see I'd bet you're fine.
3. Bently says this regarding sealant on your VC gasket
"When installing, seal corners
(transition points) with AMV 174
00401"
However, it also says:
"Although shown separately,
valve cover gasket is integral
with the cover itself. If gasket is
damaged or leaking, replace
the entire cover"
Worst case is you do it over because it leaks again.
Whenever I have to remove my VC, I actually soak the gasket area in degreaser. Seems to put the spring back into it
(rinse with water after, then dry).
told by a shop the control arm bushings and motor mounts are shot.
Does it feel to you like those things are shot? Our '01 has >240k miles on it and all those are good still.
Lived most of it's life on Whidbey Island.
Sounds like they can smell your wallet!

MIDTDIER

TDI
Mk4 BEW 2005
Welcome to TDI Club!
BEW is a good engine, but can suffer from premature cam wear especially with use of off-spec oil.
As a non-BEW owner, I can't tell if your cam is in good shape or not from the pics.
Worst case
Thank you for the response, I hope someone can provide some insight, but i have good hope for now as it was babied at a euro shop.

1. What did you use brake cleaner for? Cleaning the gasket seal face? I don't see a downside there.
Yes just for cleaning the face, but when I saw the foam get deep in the valve area, I wrapped that dirty rag around a flat head to clean deep with more break cleaner.

2. Foam particles went into the head? If you got out all you could see I'd bet you're fine.
Thank you for the confidence. I hope the filter will do its job.

Worst case is you do it over because it leaks again.
Whenever I have to remove my VC, I actually soak the gasket area in degreaser. Seems to put the spring back into it
(rinse with water after, then dry).
Does it feel to you like those things are shot? Our '01 has >240k miles on it and all those are good still.
I appreciate that, yes, there's a wobble around 55-65mph. But it drives great in general, shops can be greedy at times.

Wonder if 7ft lb of torque was enough for the bolts I think I set it to 10.5 nm?
Update:
Unfortunately I am still getting a puddle, maybe an 1/8 or a 1/4 cup of oil. I assume it's from there?
Might just order a new cover. Wonder still about the right spots to put the sealant.
I heard corners.
Not sure.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Wonder if 7ft lb of torque was enough for the bolts I think I set it to 10.5 nm?
Update:
Unfortunately I am still getting a puddle, maybe an 1/8 or a 1/4 cup of oil. I assume it's from there?
Might just order a new cover. Wonder still about the right spots to put the sealant.
I heard corners.
Not sure.
I've read overtightening the cover can cause leaks.
Somewhere around 250K miles I also used silicone on the entire rubber gasket.
It had some leakage.
I ordered a replacement gasket and it was a job to get the old gasket out.
I only used silicon at the 4 corners and torqued it to a bit over the the 7 ft lb spec.
Let it sit a few hours & it was OK.

MIDTDIER

TDI
Mk4 BEW 2005
I've read overtightening the cover can cause leaks.
Somewhere around 250K miles I also used silicone on the entire rubber gasket.
It had some leakage.
I ordered a replacement gasket and it was a job to get the old gasket out.
I only used silicon at the 4 corners and torqued it to a bit over the the 7 ft lb spec.
Let it sit a few hours & it was OK.
Hey thanks for the response

I think set it a bit over as well.
Like .3 or .5 and didn't drive until next or more I believe but still leaking..
The victor reinz sealant just wasn't easy to apply.. more than twice the price of the gasket as well..

Maybe I'm leaking from elsewhere..
Might shell the 300+$ and pay a shop unfortunately

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Check if the breather on top of the cover is not clogged and it's gromet is good.

MIDTDIER

TDI
Mk4 BEW 2005
Check if the breather on top of the cover is not clogged and it's gromet is good.
Alright I will check it, the plastic hose ontop was clean

I did partially clean the EGR valve. I posted before and after.

Any clue from the valve/cam photos?

Thank you again!