New Member, New [to me] TDi B4

_Christ

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDi
The belt makes a little noise, and is pretty weak anyway, so its soon time to pull it and replace, and what better time to also delete the AC pump and associated lines? The added benefit of that, it gives me a prewired switch in the form of the AC button to which I can wire a relay to control the alternator's function manually. Later I'll add in a tap to the brake light activation circuit that will also trigger the relay to turn on field to the alternator, and eventually add a second battery.

Further down the line, a block heater, 120VAC float/quick charger, and coolant thermos/overflow bottle

_Christ

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDi
Fixed the passenger side door handle at work last night, now I have 3 functional handles. Not sure what the electrical connections on the front door handles are for, but I don't lock my car or need central locking etc nor do I care about it, so I just cut the wires off the old handles and kinda stuffed the new handles in without attaching the new wires. Maybe I'll fix that later, but its unlikely.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Cue the nuisance alarms in 3...2...1...

They're for the alarm system, open/close windows, and junction to tie all the locks together. Most importantly, you will now be unable to get your car to run if the alarm goes off, like with a low battery, since to disarm the system you actuate the outer door lock and not the ignition switch.

I hope you at least taped up the connections so they don't ground out inside the door panel and trip the alarm. Most people just unplug them if they wanted to run rear door handles in the front.

Last edited:

_Christ

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDi
Last time the alarm went off, I pulled the battery cable back off and re attached it with the key out and the door closed, no problems.

Yes, I taped the leads. I didn't feel like actually taking the door panels apart to unclip them, but I will eventually.

_Christ

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDi
Started prepping the nose piece for a grille block and paint. There was rust in some weird places bit got all of it and smoothed out most of the stone chips everywhere. Gonna have to remove a little more paint to weld in the grille block and smooth everything out, then primer and satin black.

The car this came from had possibly the two good doors I need, and the hood. Fenders were too far gone to be worth $40 each, what they charge. A few possibly good black interior pieces I'll take, though most of the interior, like mine, is unkempt and heavily worn. May grab the headlights and headlight mounting panel after next payday/budget day.

Last edited:

_Christ

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDi
So in addition to ^^^ that one, I had ordered a new nose panel from eBay. Whn I got it, it was all scratched up into the metal, etc... so I complained, they sent me a new one, which was in similar condition, as well as being a poor stamping with incomplete lines and corners... I complained again, and they've issued a full refund in addition to me keeping both of the nose panels.

Anyone need one? LOL