New member here -- New Beetle upgrades?

vwster

TDI
2000 New Beetle
I have a 2000 New Beetle and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get a good 150-200hp from my motor, as well if suspension and brake upgrades would make this a truly fun car to race around in.

I was referred to tdiclub by the main VW board.

My NB has 103k on it, new timing belt, and it's in good overall condition. Although I need a steering rack!

Just wondering if I should keep it with an eye toward upgrading it as a fun second car.

Thanks everyone!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
yep, some nozzles, turbo upgrade, and a clutch with a nice stage 3 tune will do what you want with some other supporting things.
you have some serious reading ahead of you and some wallet opening... prepare to spend at least the value of the car right off the bat and thats just if you DIY it. want a performance shop to do it, you would be better off buying a $8,000 boxter or 6k WRX

vwster

TDI
2000 New Beetle
So to have a shop do the engine upgrades you mention, plus some suspension, brake work, and wheels/tires, would that be doable for $5k? Or are you thinking more?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
So to have a shop do the engine upgrades you mention, plus some suspension, brake work, and wheels/tires, would that be doable for $5k? Or are you thinking more?
Unless you must have a tdi beetle worth way more than it's worth and this pay way more on proper insurance to cover those mods.... just go buy a car that is supposed to be sporty.
Go buy a cayenne for 8 grand or a beat up boxter for 3. I just saw one that had a transplant and was road legal but set up for track with a ugly plastidip job for 2500. Would be 10x better than anything your beetle could do at 1/4 the cost
But yes if you want your beetle to be sleeper and fun and have a shop do the work... have a specific race shop do the job. Most normal shops wont touch stuff like that. You want a tunner or race shop. And 5 grand in labor is a good ballpark for what you want to do. 400 for brakes 2200 for wheels tires and suspention. Performance mods is another 2900 and clutch and what not to support is another 2k. $500 for a tune. Includes labor and parts in price.

Everyone here (mostly) has done all that work diy or mostly all diy for performance stuff. There is a reason you could spend 3 grand less and get way more with another sports car.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
I have a 2000 New Beetle and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get a good 150-200hp from my motor, as well if suspension and brake upgrades would make this a truly fun car to race around in.

I was referred to tdiclub by the main VW board.

My NB has 103k on it, new timing belt, and it's in good overall condition. Although I need a steering rack!

Just wondering if I should keep it with an eye toward upgrading it as a fun second car.

Thanks everyone!
Call me when you can I have been modifying the new beetles for years Maybe ba able to answer some of your questions 541 980 1466