New Member/ 1996 1z Passat Wagon

HardToHandle

TDI
1996 Passat wagon 1z
First off, hello all! Been browsing this forum for a while despite not owning a tdi, until now!

Shes a 1996 Passat wagon wolfsburg edition with the 1z tdi with 257k on the clock

Whats been done to it at the time of purchase:

At some point the engine was removed and painted caterpillar yellow (and then at some point repainted black) and Im going to assume that the internals are stock until proven otherwise

At the moment its straight piped, has an egr delete, and has an rc3+ chip tune in it, if anyone has any information on this chipset would he much appreciated

Other mods include a set of solowerks adjustable coilovers and an 02J shift linkage

My current plans for it:

General maintenance, change the oil and replace the fuel filter

Do a timing belt service, its not due for another 16k but because its been sitting for 3 years Im going to change it anyway

Replace the front strut mounts, the onces on it are completely shot

The coolant bottle has a bunch of brown junk so Im sure it could use a could use a good flush

Im going to put a stock chipset, reinstall the egr, and put a proper exhaust in it

Anyway, it may be a week or 2 before I theres any updates, so until then

Take care!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Welcome! We don't see many "new to me" B4 owners around here any longer.

Just so you know, on your car the EGR is built into the intake manifold, so it's not physically deleted. It may be shut off with the tune or gutted, however. You might want to check.

These are great cars when set up correctly and running right. But that can be a challenge, especially now that parts are getting scarce, to say the least.

HardToHandle

TDI
1996 Passat wagon 1z
Welcome! We don't see many "new to me" B4 owners around here any longer.

Just so you know, on your car the EGR is built into the intake manifold, so it's not physically deleted. It may be shut off with the tune or gutted, however. You might want to check.

These are great cars when set up correctly and running right. But that can be a challenge, especially now that parts are getting scarce, to say the least.
From what I can tell the egr valve has been replaced with this adapter

And the egr pipe has been replaced with this block off plate

HardToHandle

TDI
1996 Passat wagon 1z
After doing some research installing a clutched alternator pulley seems like a good investment, I noticed that the tensioner was bouncing around a good bit and that it looks like a common issue with these cars

Would an alternator pulley off of a mk4 tdi have an overrunning clutch? If so is it a direct bolt on?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That's not the original intake manifold. Probably off a PD130 from Europe. You may have to find an EGR over there, depending on the bolt pattern. Not sure what you'll be able to do about EGR piping, as the original won't match up correctly with the manifold. :Looks like a probe for an EGT gauge is in that block-off plate right now.

MKIV alternator pulley won't fit. different attachment method. We (IDParts) show the INA clutch pulley as no longer available, but you may be able to find one somewhere. Check what alternator you have, however: the clutched pulley won't fit on a Valeo alternator.

Last edited:

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Welcome to the club. Looks like a decent specimen.

If that's a PD130 intake manifold I'd be willing to chat about a straight trade for a stock intake with integrated EGR that will fit your car. If you're interested, PM me.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Definitely some type of PD intake… there are several, which point to the right.

The EGR probe is in a dead ended part of the manifold, which will never report properly. Ideally, it’d be just before the turbo, where it’s seeing all of the runners’ flow.

I’d also go back to EGR. I did a similar intake with race pipe on my B4V and had the EGR tuned out. I notice the car takes longer to heat up, than a bone stock 97, with EGR cooler. In the summer, i simply modify the EGR adaptation, so the EGR barely runs. It’s not 100% deleted, but it’s doing close to the same.

That clutched pulley is definitely a good idea. I remember an old thread, where I believe someone said they were running an ALH pulley. It may not have lined up 100%, but it worked.

PM me, if you think you want to go back to stock, with the EGR. I have these parts and probably other parts, you may want/need, from a perfectly running car, I recently parted. I think I have a set of stock GQ chips, too. May have sold them…

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here’s that thread.

Some say the ALH pulley worked, while others say it didn’t. Make up you own mind, but I searched the correct part number, for these cars, and I’m still finding it available.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’m thinking that’s an illusion, due to parallax. I seriously doubt the head or manifold was machined incorrectly. Chase the hole, then try to thread in an Allen head m8x1.25 bolt.

-Todd

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I'm glad to see another B4V out there, welcome.

I also think the RC3 is worth keeping rather than the stock chips, these cars are pretty weak without a tune. The RC3 will undoubtedly have the EGR turned off. I had one and found it much more aggressive than the Malone 3 I have now. I have the same PD130 intake manifold and plan on swapping it on when I find a racepipe and hose adapter. The stock intake is just lacking and likes to coke up.

Come to think of it, I don't know that the intake made the trip from Maine to Arizona...I'll have to look into it. Darn.

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey
Congrats on the "New" B4V!
Quick thought on the exhaust... On the 3 B4's that I had, I had a muffler shop run a straight 2.5" pipe from the Cat back (delete resonator and muffler).
I really liked this setup as it was quiet, weighs less and costs less. By quiet, I don't mean silent, there was a nice subtle turbo whine at idle.

Good luck with the project, I'm sure that it will serve you well!

Unfortunately, my B4V's are done, heading for scrap soon, unless I get a taker (Thread link).

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Geez…. If only I had the space.….

You’re not too far from me. And the gray wagon, looks pretty decent.

-Todd

HardToHandle

TDI
1996 Passat wagon 1z
So Ive run into a bit of a snag, the alternator pulley I ordered doesnt fit on my alternator, it looks like the threads of the pulley are a bit smaller than the ones on the alternator

Its also kind of annoying that the reviews said it fit a 1996 passat....

Any suggestions?

If I just got the whole alternator from an alh, would that bolt up?

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Went to that link, and I supposedly bought it 3x, based on what Amazon said…

Maybe you got a bad one?

-Todd

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Gates catalog is incorrect on this part. Might have fit in the past, but what they're currently selling doesn't. We took it off our site.

HardToHandle

TDI
1996 Passat wagon 1z
Ok, that makes sense

I think Im just going to order the whole alternator from a mk4 tdi, it seems like a lot less hassle then trying to modify clutched pulleys to fit on this alternator

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is that a direct swap, or have you found threads where this has been done?

-Todd

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
MKIV alternator has different mounting points. And I think the connector is different, too.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
MKIV alternator has different mounting points. And I think the connector is different, too.
And I think the pulley for the Mk4 doesn't line up properly for the Mk3 belt. I know that it's a different part number and it appears to run the belt in a slightly different location.

Gates seems to want to suggest that the 37010P fits Jetta up to 2002, but that would be a no go based on VW. They need to fix this error and while they're at it they need to start supplying lower radiator hoses for the B4 TDI to the US, since they make them in Europe.

Steve

Last edited:

HardToHandle

TDI
1996 Passat wagon 1z
Yeah I can see that now

Does anyone know a good source for a clutched pulley that would fit?

Edit: so I can find a pulley for a 1997 passat on rockauto by acdelco, the only thing is the part number (37010p) is the same as the gates pulley I just ordered so I'm not sure if it would be the right one

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Gates' fitment info and install data isn't the best. Lots of it could use updating or correction. They still say ALHs have 40K timing belt change intervals, for example. That was only true for ALH automatics through '01.

See if you can find an INA pulley. I think they're no longer available, but someone might have stock.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yeah I can see that now

Does anyone know a good source for a clutched pulley that would fit?

Edit: so I can find a pulley for a 1997 passat on rockauto by acdelco, the only thing is the part number (37010p) is the same as the gates pulley I just ordered so I'm not sure if it would be the right one
The guys from Latvia on eBay are selling the correct part, allegedly Hella, but that's a shipping issue too, but they are a good source.

Part 028903119AA is what you're looking for, and a lot of them come up, but for some reason if you query their application list it says it doesn't work for 97-99 Mk3 Jetta TDI nor 96-7 Passat TDI. So either they're really bad on application or the part isn't actually that number...pick one.

Ran into same thing for MB, query the part number, brings up lots of products and they all 'look' correct, but when you check application list it says doesn't fit on 05 E320 CDI, so you PM the seller and say...is your part number right or your application list? When they say both you just say that's not possible, it's either or here...you can't have both.

Still need to email Gates and get them to figure out that what they're selling doesn't actually fit....

Good luck

Steve

HardToHandle

TDI
1996 Passat wagon 1z
From Gates:

So maybe their catalog isn't wrong.

Interesting, I found this also from gates

Edit:
So the box I got says 37010p, which as far as I can tell is the correct part number, but the pulley inside the box (after looking up the part number on the pulley itself) goes to a 2004 chrysler pacifica

So thats would be why it didn't fit, Im assuming somebody messed up and put the wrong part in the box, Im going to return this one and see if I can get them to send the correct one

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Use the 1998 Jetta (AHU) alternator. Then you can use the same INA pulley as the AHU and ALH, the VAG number is 022-903-119-C (not sure what the INA number is).

I do not know what the difference is between a 1996 1Z B4 and a 1998 AHU A3 Bosch 120A alternator is, but they are two different part numbers (VAG and Bosch) but the AHU one seems more readily available. It has been a while, but the last B4 TDI I had in here, that is what I did. Worked fine.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Too lazy to look it up, but did the Jettas get a lower amp alt? When I parted the rotbox, I thought it looked smaller than the alts on the B4, which are 120A.

The markings on the rear cover were worn away, so there’s little info there.

-Todd