New low mpg!

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Filled up with B100 to a mix of about B80. (Thanks Dumpsterfuel!) And put 610 miles on the tank. Filled the car up this morning with 15.733 gal for a whopping 38.7 mpg.

Life average is 50.8 mpg.

This terrible milage is more due to the canoe I carried on top for most of that 610 than it is to the biodiesel. Stop and go country roads with the AC on didn't help.

Even with the poor results, I'd do it again! Just point me to that amber juice and let 'er burn!

dumpsterfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
None - formerly 86 jetta diesel, 01 golf TDI, 09 Jetta TDI
You didn't think that was BIODIESEL we were putting in your tank, did you? We've set up a 300 gallon gravity tank with official nozzle (and filter). Stop again!

Lightman

Veteran Member
Nice. I've hit 29mpg in my 5spd TDI towing my atv trailer(usually around 78mph w a/c on), and running b20. Can't wait to see what I get now that I've switched back to b100!

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
dumpsterfuel,

Where are you in Eua Claire? I will be there this weekend and may want to pick up a little bio.

Thanks

Ricdude

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, '03, Pt Grey, GLS
LEt me get this straight. You folks that run biodiesel are GLAD you get WORSE mileage? And you are glad you are paying MORE to get worse mileage?
I prefer paying some portion of $3/gal to my local (domestic) farmers than paying some portion of $2/gal to foreign governments whose citizens hate us (USians). Mostly, I think we're glad we aren't continuing to enslave our country to the wiles of the petroleum industry, domestic or foreign.

And as for mileage, the three tanks of petrodiesel averaged to 43 mpg, the six tanks of biodiesel currently average to 45 mpg. Lower mileage on biodiesel? My data doesn't support it.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
LEt me get this straight. You folks that run biodiesel are GLAD you get WORSE mileage? And you are glad you are paying MORE to get worse mileage?
I notice a slight mileage hit when I run B100, but look at it this way--my Golf TDI burning B100 costs less to run per mile than a gas Golf or a competing compact and I'm giving nothing to OPEC
I'm GLAD I'm not supporting terrorists and multinational oil conglomorates.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
When you run bio, there is a sLight hit in mpg.

A direct price comparison between my 5sp NB on B100 and my brother's 5sp (2.0 gasser) NB running on regular, and it nets both of them going 1000 miles for... $65 (and my car is definitely more fun to drive!)

If you compare the cost of using B100 against D100 (100% dino), you won't be as happy. It all depends on what you're focusing on I guess.

spifflifkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
It all depends on what you're focusing on I guess.
That's exactly it! I have talked to so many people that say "$2.95 a gallon? what's the point?"

It's burns cleaner, is safer and comes from HERE!

Over 5 tanks of dino, my average was right at 40mpg, 5 tanks of bio was 38mpg. That is my work commute. I haven't figured freeway yet.

That figures out to be about $33/mo for dino and $68/mo for B100. So, it's $35/mo more to support US workers, emit less toxins, etc. That's the point!

I think it's crazy that when I tell people that I pay $2.95/gal they say that's too expensive. That's because they are thinking in SUV-mileage