New look for my 2002 VW Beetle TDI

GaryTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Beetle TDI 5MT
Although having an awesome sleeper Beetle was fun, I decided to give her a new look. Sleeper no more!

Last edited:

GaryTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Beetle TDI 5MT
Thanks all :) She is holding up very well so far although I've noticed a bit of a fuel economy dip due to the change in aerodynamics. Must be that big maw scooping in air.

GT Beetle

TDI
Black 98 N Beetle
Is that the gt500 kit or the RSi kit or just what do they call it ?
Looks sharp.

To help with the lost fuel economy you could block off side vents or a portion of.

GaryTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Beetle TDI 5MT
Is that the gt500 kit or the RSi kit or just what do they call it ?
Looks sharp.

To help with the lost fuel economy you could block off side vents or a portion of.
Thanks! It's the GT500 Kit. It's by no means easy to install, and you can't reuse the front turn signals but it can come out looking pretty good.

kwasnr

TDI
2003 Beetle
Very nice... Have you had it on a dyno yet? Malone Stage 5 is pretty radical...

kwasnr

TDI
2003 Beetle
Those are pretty good numbers but I agree, I think they are lower than what they are...

Did you do anything with pistons and connecting rods... that is my main concern, that I will bend a rod... I was able to snap my front axle on a pretty soft launch, and that is when I went to the Raxles...

I had looked at the Tyrol SMIC, but the cost was too high for the improvement... I had an SMIC from Kerma, but it did not fit right, and had to send it back... I think you have more room than I have with your new bumper...

We kept the stock snorkel as we did not see any improvement with an engine bay intake...

GaryTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Beetle TDI 5MT
I haven't had an issue so far with about 40,000 miles on this tune (knock on wood). I haven't done any internal work on the engine aside from them cam. Since there is too much torque to launch the car hard with any sanity I don't really attempt top 0-60 runs so maybe that has saved my axles. This is my commuter so it usually shows off its power on the highways with passing maneuvers. The only issue I had lately was the hose popped off the top of the IC. I managed to get it secure again but I thing there might be a small leak because it seeps tiny amounts of oil. I'll have to get a custom upper IC pipe setup.