New long block installed - running rough

yksa

TDI
AFN TDI in Vanagon
Hi all:
I am a new member to this forum, although I used it lots during the last 20 yrs I had my TDI (in a Vanagon). I have never posted anything and am hoping this is the right spot for it. Pls redirect me, if not.

I just replaced the worn-out block after 500,000 more or less trouble free km with a new long block and a number of new components. Everything is back together but the engine is not running well. Since the van has been sitting for 2yrs I did emptied the fuel tank, installed new filter and to purge the IP I also temporarily installed a low pressure lift pump with a switch which pumps good amounts of fuel. Primed pump, bled injectors, VCDS shows no error codes. Checked intake for any obstructions (rags etc). Cleaned K&N filter.

The following is a list of symptoms:
- Engine only starts when cold - the warmer the outside temp the harder it starts
- The higher the coolant temp gets, the rougher it runs (VCDS confirms coolant temp values are making sense)
- LOTS of blue smoke when reving up plus a lot of hesitation/misfire
- All glow plugs appear wet when pulling after engine ran with what seems to be diesel
- Since I live way North, I installed a variable resistor to fool ECU into thinking that the coolant temp is lower than actual to improve starting during extreme cold, when the car is on frost plug heater and coolant is warmer. Now, if the car warms up or if it is warmer outside, if I use this coolant temp mod, the car will start fine and will be high idling as per normal, but still does not like to rev up.

I am at the end of my wits, wondering if the new injectors have an issue (leaking) or if there is something else that I have overlooked/screwed up.

I would be extremely grateful for any advice.

yksa

TDI
AFN TDI in Vanagon
Sorry, I should have mentioned the original engine is a European AFN (110hp) 1.9 TDI out of a 1999 Passat. Variable vane turbo (rebuilt).

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Sounds like your timing is likely off. Do you have vcds to check the timing?

yksa

TDI
AFN TDI in Vanagon
Thanks for the reply - I do have VCDS. Will check this tonight after work. I used the correct locking tools for camshaft and IP, but since the flywheel isn't stock for the block (nor the car), I had to determine TDC with the straw through glow plug hole method :(

yksa

TDI
AFN TDI in Vanagon
Update - thank you very much for pointing me to timing. According to VCDS timing is completely out of spec (advanced). I did not assume this could be a problem, as I have used the straw method many times and was consistently in the ball park. Now I retarded the pump as much as possible and it seems to make a bit of a positive difference but still out of spec (can't see the horizontal line in Timing Graph). I would have to move the belt a tooth but then the IP will be out of time with the camshaft. I suppose have to go back to start and check everything again.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
There's quite a few degrees of crankshaft movement at TDC with no noticable difference in piston height, so the straw method can be a little hit-and-miss unfortunately.

More accurate is to use something as a piston stop to halt #1 piston just below TDC. Rotate till it stops, scribe a mark on the harmonic damper, rotate the other direction till stopped, scribe another mark, TDC is exactly in between the two marks and piston dwell is eliminated as a factor.

Even better is to use the flywheel for the scribe marks... bigger circumference = even more accuracy. :)

Last edited:

yksa

TDI
AFN TDI in Vanagon
Thank you very much, for your comment Vince. This did worry me as well. I did something similar (but not quite as precise) as I scribed where I could feel the straw decent on either side and then split the difference. I will use your method to get TDC 100% and then mark the flywheel (Corrado flywheel...). Long story short I moved the timing belt 1 tooth on the pump either way and retarding resulted in no-start, but advancing gave immediate start (with fully retarded fine adjust on the pump). So I know I was too retarded (which is weird because VCDS showed only a vertical line, no horizontal, so I thought I was too advanced). I am getting closer - the whole thing was a 3 yr ordeal from when I ordered the engine so I am pretty excited.
Thank you again also to Mosambiquer for getting me to check the timing - I thought I had it very close to perfect, so it did not even appear to me that it could have been the reason.