New Lift Pump fiasco

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
Just wondering if any one has had this issue and what's the probable cause.
I build a complete high power engine (see the signature) and thought in order to ensure sufficient fuel supply I'd install a new lift pump. I bought it brand new (VDO), wired it (per 'ID Parts' instructions) and it functions well. Except for one thing. It will pull some air in once the tank is below 5/8 full. Did any one experience this? The pump was sitting in my garage for at least six months before I finally installed it. I didn't like the look of those corrugated hoses. It looks exactly like some spouts on smaller gas cans. It is my experience they last about 2.5 pours before there is a break somewhere on them and it starts spilling out. I'll have to pull it out and verify. Just wondering if there is some history on this.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Since you had to install additional wiring it would be safe to assume that this is an upgrade on an ALH. Check the thermo T on the fuel filter or maybe the IP is leaking.

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
Thermo T is already replaced. Yes it is an ALH and I verified all the hoses. The fact that there is no problem when the tank is full would lead me to conclusion that it is the lift pump. I just find it strange that it is a brand new unit and appears to be faulty.