New Lawn Tractor! What oil to use?

Lightman

Veteran Member
Guys sorry if this is off the tdi topic, but figured the collective knowledge about oils was here if anywhere, and wasn't really sure where to post...

Today I bought a Husqvarna riding lawn tractor with a 15HP Kawasaki v-twin

The oil recommendation chart is very broad. It says -

API service- SF, SG, SH, or SJ
Choose oil viscosity according to temp chart.
From -4F to 90F SAE 10w-30 or 10w-40
From 32F to 90F SAE 30
From 68F to 105F SAE 40

it also says below "using multi grade oils will increase oil consumption. Check oil level more often when using them"

What do you guys think? I dont use my machines commercially, and would like to use the best synthetic possible.

I have laying around - Delvac 1 5w-40 that I use in my two diesel vehicles, Amsoil 0w-40 for my ATV, and a few bottles of Mobil 1 10w-30 laying around. Of course I could go get something else too, just throwing those choices out there....

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Mobil 1 0w40 (1st choice because its diesel rated with a high TBN) next would be the Amsoil 0w40 then 5w40 oils. I doubt that you would see increased consumption. I ahve been using the multi weight oils (Delvac 1) in my generator (10hp OHV Vanguard) and John Deere mower (Briggs OHV 6.0HP) with 0 oil consumption over the course of 3 years now.

DB

[the unit]

Veteran Member
TDI
sold - 2002 Jetta TDI
Those air-cooled Kawasaki motors are great. I worked landscaping several years back and we ran the snot out of our single cylinder Kawi's, and they were reliable as can be. We were running straight 40 weight (in Florida as well), but I don't remember what brand.

-Rob

Rob_from_Elkmont

Veteran Member
For 10 years, since new, I have utilized Synthetic 10W30 oil in my Honda Harmony Mower's engine. First was Amsoil, then Mobil 1. The mower never needs oil added during the mowing season, which happens to be fairly long in North Alabama.

Best Regards,

Rob

Lightman

Veteran Member
Thanks guys. I run the amsoil 0w-40 4-stroke/atv oil in my v-twin kawasaki prairie atv with great results, I guess I can have both v-twins in the stable running on it. We are definitely above 90F very often here. I think when I move back up north I'll probably switch down to a 10w-30.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It sounds like using multigrade oils has worked out for most ppl... I'm tempted to because there are all the synthetic choices out there. Not too many choices in straight 30 or 40 weight...

Lightman

Veteran Member
The fact the mower runs at full throttle all the time though somewhat worries me. Does a 0w-40 provide the same high temp protection as a straight 30 weight or 40 ?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
0w40 will provide MUCH better protection than will any 30 weight especially when comparing 0w40 to a 10w30. If you move up north the 0w40 will still provide superior starting because of the better cold flow properties yet retain the better protection when at normal operating temps. Again the 0w40 is hands down the best all around choice regardless of climate.

DB

A. Meyer

Veteran Member
A few weeks ago, whils riding my motorcycle down from the Blue Ridge Parkway, I wondered, if I were a Martian, what would be my first impressions of Earth? Well, what did I observe: green & woody plants, cows, a few houses, and large, puffy, round earthlings riding around over their short green plants on noisy, smokey, metal boxes.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
I used Mobil 1 in my Snapper rider for 16 years, I pulled the engine apart one winter from lack of something to do. To my supprise you could still see the honing marks on the cylinder, and at the time it was about 14 years old.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Lightman,

Either a 30wt or 40wt synthetic will work fine. I have the Amsoil 5w-30 (ASL) in my JD 265, which has a 17 hp air cooled Kawa commercial engine. The oil still looks almost clear after 50 hours of use over the last two seasons.

Oil consumption has basically been nil ....

TooSlick

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
I am using Delvac 1300 in a Kubota diesel tractor, Kawasaki KFX-400 atv, and a pressure washer...

I would switch to Delvac-1 but am hesitant due to the ATV having a wet clutch... (and it's a pain to replace it).

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
We bought a used 18 HP diesel Kubota a few months back but haven`t had to replace the oil in it yet. Can you guess what we put in the fuel tank Lightman?

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Bio lawn tractor sounds pretty sweet! How does it sound?
To answer your question, I believe it runs a little quieter. The guy I bought it from also serviced it after I had about 30 hours on it with B100. He was using rot gutt red dyed fuel and he remarked that is is running much smoother on the B100.

The queston to ask is, how does it SMELL? This little Kubota engine burning B100 puts out the most pleasant aroma, it is now a pleasure to cut grass these days.

Lightman

Veteran Member
Sounds sweet. Thats a pretty big mower. Wish there was a diesel in a smaller size, but I'm very happy with my v-twin, its very quiet and powerful, with low emissions.

Do you know what those kubotas retail for new? Just curious. They are a 52" cut correct? They look sweet. I'd love to burn bio while cutting the grass. very jealous

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Sounds sweet. Thats a pretty big mower.
Not really, it`s only 18HP. Cuts through 1.5 foot tall grass w/o any rpm drop. Torque baby.

Do you know what those kubotas retail for new? Just curious.
Not sure, I think it is around $6K. I paid $2400 with 600 hours on it.

They are a 52" cut correct?
Yep, 52" deck.

If I had to cut alot of grass this would not be the mower I`d choose, too slow. Got a good deal though and it allows me to burn the bean so I jumped. At some point the amount of grass I have to mow will be greatly reduced and I hope to be able to manage it with a human powered (guess I`ll have to eat more soybeans then) reel mower. The aroma from the emissions of that source won`t be as pleasant though.

Lightman

Veteran Member
WOWOW thats expensive, I can see why you bought a used one. 1.5' tall grass? Sounds like someone isn't very regular about their lawn maintenance
Down here in FL, I have to cut mine every week, and it grows 3-6" per week or so. I live in one of those neighborhoods with an 'association' (read neighborhood nazis), and if I let my grass go for 2-3 weeks, I would have an equally tall pile of letters!
Oh well, luckily I'm anal enough to WANT to cut it every week and keep it looking good. Plus riding around on the new mower was so fun, this whole week (crazy , I know) I've been actually wanting my grass to hurry up and grow, so I can use the new mower for the second time!

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
Sounds sweet. Thats a pretty big mower. Wish there was a diesel in a smaller size...
At 18 HP in a Lawn tractor you're looking at the baby Kubota! Check out Kubota's web page. I just bought one of the smaller (smaller is relative) Kubota's - a BX2200 with a 60" mower deck and front end loader - it is classified as a Sub-Compact tractor - or a garden tractor on steroids. I got it to be able to clear snow from my nearly vertical driveway and cut the lawn - ditto for taking care of my parents house on the other side of town.

MCA

Lightman

Veteran Member
Thanks guys. I've decided to use the same 0w-40 amsoil that my ATV uses and loves. However, as fast as the thing is, it's going to take me a while to even reach the 8 hour mark, which is when the manual reccomends I dump the break-in oil...

highhilltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta GLS
Sounds sweet. Thats a pretty big mower. Wish there was a diesel in a smaller size...
At 18 HP in a Lawn tractor you're looking at the baby Kubota! Check out Kubota's web page. I just bought one of the smaller (smaller is relative) Kubota's - a BX2200 with a 60" mower deck and front end loader - it is classified as a Sub-Compact tractor - or a garden tractor on steroids. I got it to be able to clear snow from my nearly vertical driveway and cut the lawn - ditto for taking care of my parents house on the other side of town.

MCA
Hope you bought some knobby tires and chains for that bx. I've got a b2100 4X4 with the middle-grade tires (not ag and not turf, don't remember the name) and they're loaded for traction. In light snow they're marginal. Deep snow they're borderline terrible. My in-laws driveway is very steep and with 12" of snow last year I couldn't even begin to climb the hill. I had to dig my way up backwards a little at a time. Took forever. I also had to pull it out of snow banks a couple times with my Jeep because the blade got hung-up and spun the tractor around. I've got chains ordered for this winter. I could have put full AG tires on it to get a lot more ground clearance, but they're about $800 for a set which seemed excessive at this point. Don't even think about plowing with the belly-mower hooked up. Couple inches and you'll be stuck.

I'm looking at a Grand L for next year anyway as the B-series just isn't big enough for me. My next mower will be the GF-1800 front mower. I've got about 2 acres that gets mowed and lots of trees. The b2100 just tears the grass up around the house with all the turning and the semi-ag tires.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
I am using Delvac 1300 in a Kubota diesel tractor, Kawasaki KFX-400 atv, and a pressure washer...

I would switch to Delvac-1 but am hesitant due to the ATV having a wet clutch... (and it's a pain to replace it).
I have been running delvac in all my motorcycles (3) including a dirtbike for two years now.

they all have the original clutches.

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
What I've heard is that the "mid-grade" (R-4's, industrial tread is what I think they're called) are the worst of both worlds. Folks I talked to thought that the loaded turfs would probably be fine (I'll be using a snowblower attachment not the loader except for clearing the plowridge at the end of the driveway) and at worst I'll need a set of chains.

MCA

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta

MCA
We have a 2003 Kubota L3130 riding on R4's with a 72" finish mower and front end loader. also all my other 3pt attachments, tiller, middle buster, backhoe, ect.

I love it, previously my neighbor had a early 90's 30hp kubota, but its nowhere as nice as this one. digital display, HST transmission, all the goodies.