New Key FOB won't open trunk

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
Hi all,

I was sick of the range on my key fobs and replacing the batteries did nothing. I was mentioning to my mechanic that I was going to extend the antenna, and he said not to bother. Just get a new fob on ebay.

So I did that, and followed the process for pairing it to the car by inserting my old key into the ignition, and the new key into the car door.

It worked like a charm, and I got my range back... BUT the trunk button doesn't work. It lights up on the fob, but doesn't open the trunk. Is there a separate process for getting that to work? I do have access to VCDS. To clarify, the key opens the trunk fine, and the button on the driver side door also opens the trunk. It's just the FOB that gets no response.

Last edited:

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I also find the new style remote for my car you have to hold the button longer than the one old.

Wish I would have gotten more than 15ft of range when I got my new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
What's the normal range? I also noticed on my car the range is somewhat small. Not a huge bummer but I was curious if the batteries were just low?
Where's the receiver antenna?

gavski

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI GLS 170K
Good mod! Just did this since my dash was half apart already. Super range. Ran out of driveway and it still worked the locks from the house. Sweet.

On my '02, the plugs were a different color. Looking up, it was the one on the left and black, but contained the same clear wire.

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
awesome! I'd probably experiment with different lengths so it's not such a huge range (avoid unlocking car from inside Target or somewhere stupid...) but I'm excited.

So does anyone know how long the stock one is? I feel like the location may be part of the issue.. not that I want to reroute it because it's probably difficult to remove from the harness but I'm curious if that's possible.

Good project for a rainy day, though!

Concat

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDi
Hi all,

Yes I have tried holding down the button for more than 4 seconds, and the previous key fob opened it without issue.

IslandMK5

TDI
2005 Jetta, 2004 Jetta wagon
Old thread...I know!
Just having same problem.
Ebay FOB, programmed-works great, except no trunk function. Remote lights up, car lights don't.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Old thread...I know!
Just having same problem.
Ebay FOB, programmed-works great, except no trunk function. Remote lights up, car lights don't.
I,m having this issue with two new Ebay fobs, tried diy method and vcds, can't get the trunk to pop.

Haven't been able to find answer searching......does anybody know anything I can try?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Do the doors lock/unlock? Could be because it's a cheap chip.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Do the doors lock/unlock? Could be because it's a cheap chip.
Everything else works except the trunk, on a twenty yr. old car I should just roll on and open the trunk with the key or drivers door switch but noooooo... :confused: