New Jetta TDI owner

GP_RZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
Hello All, I just picked up a fairly clean 2003 Jetta wagon TDI with automatic trans with 289,xxxKM. My question is is the auto transmissions on these really bad? It sure is not as smooth as our 16 Q5 TDI and seems to rev high @ 2100rpm at around 60mph? That normal? I bought this as I drive a f150 5.0 and wife has a low milage 16 Q5 3.0 TDI that we want to last so this thing will be the commuter.
cheers!

Sorry posted in Golf picture thread, gapped it!

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Yeah, the 01M transmissions are not the most reliable in these. That said at 300k, maybe you got a rebuild or replacement?

Most convert t 5 speed when the auto finally dies.

The 2004 and up transmissions in the A4 body are more reliable, but come with the BEW engine instead of the ALH

2100 at 100kph is about right - if there was an error (missing a gear, Torque converter not locking up), it would set a Check engine light.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I have no factual data, but i have heard that if you chamge your transmission fluid every now and again (more often then what vw states) that the trans can/will last longer. But thats only what i have heard from users on here. Idk if it's true or placebo maybe do some searching...

Then again if you want to do a 5spd swap i say definitely go that route!

Looks like you got yourself a nice clean wagon. I like it!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Absolutely an auto transmission will benefit and last longer from frequent fluid changes.

Challenge is that some, even with frequent maintenance, are just a weak design. The 01M auto in the OPs car is such a design

GP_RZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
Well have put on almost 3500km with the car and its seems run along really well, had the trans oil filter changed and other fluids changed, just waiting for the 01M to take a crap and will do a 5 speed swap. Was able to remove all the stickers and find some 16" rims and tires. Next on list is install skid plate as the oe plastic one is not there. Enjoying the car so far, thank you all for the input, I am learning stuff as I go along.

Cheers!