New Jetta TDI in Maryland

bulabula

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta; A4 Golf 2-door; Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel
Just wanted to say hi and let everyone know I finally joined their ranks with a TDI. I bought a new White '06 Jetta TDI, 5MT, Pkg 1 on July 3rd and am having a blast driving it.

This isn't my first new car, nor my first diesel, but it is my first VW.

I've been a lurking member here mostly for the bio-diesel threads for my Dodge, but since I just bought a Jetta I've been reading many of the other posts here with interest. Including break-in procedures and (yep/ugh) the clutch threads...

One thing the service manager emphasized to me is that it is ok for me to do my own maintenance, but that I MUST use VW oil filters in order to NOT void the warranty. They didn't say anything about the oil. The Owners Manual is pretty explicit about the 505 01 spec.

Is there a short list of suitable alternatives for oil and filters that will not affect warranty? Secondly, is there an online source affiliated with this site that I can purchase supplies from?

Thanks. Chris

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
bulabula said:
One thing the service manager emphasized to me is that it is ok for me to do my own maintenance, but that I MUST use VW oil filters in order to NOT void the warranty. They didn't say anything about the oil. The Owners Manual is pretty explicit about the 505 01 spec.

Is there a short list of suitable alternatives for oil and filters that will not affect warranty? Secondly, is there an online source affiliated with this site that I can purchase supplies from?

Thanks. Chris
That's bull about having to use VW only filters. Re-read the manual - PD engines need 505.01 oil (ok, someone is going to chime in about 506.01 ;)

As for parts, the best place (IMOH) is www.worldimpex.com in Cockeysville, MD And if you need to use a lift, they have one for their customers http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=137584

njkayaker

Veteran Member
Penny wise, pound foolish. How much are you really going to be saving on a car that you just spent $24k on?

Used the required oil. Use the appropriate filters. Follow the recommended OCI. Keep the reciepts.

At the least, doing this will give an prospective, future buyer of your car some confidence that you knew how to take care of it.

Cabrales

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon 2003, green
I have been buying parts from TDIparts.com with no problems. I've also heard good things about impex, but have not used them personally. If you decide to start doing your own oil changes, I recommend doing it the Pela way. I have a Pela if you want to borrow it (Laurel).

bulabula

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta; A4 Golf 2-door; Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel
Cabrales said:
I have been buying parts from TDIparts.com with no problems. I've also heard good things about impex, but have not used them personally. If you decide to start doing your own oil changes, I recommend doing it the Pela way. I have a Pela if you want to borrow it (Laurel).
Thanks for the offer, I will take you up on it after the dealer does it the first time.

I received the manual from TDIparts the other day and the first thing I wanted to see was the oil change procedure. My preference is draining it from the bottom, but yikes, this car has some stuff in the way.... It certainly isn't as simple as laying under the Dodge for a moment and flipping the fumoto valve and draining it into a large pan. My worry about sucking it out is that not all of it is extracted.

I also bought some oil and a TDIclub.com license plate frame.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Yes, I 2nd Impex, they are awesome. They also host ImpexFest, the biggest Maryland TDI GTG. There are usually around 100 TDIs present. Good times.

Have fun with your new TDI!

TDRAY

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I am terrible at posting messages...... I just purchased a new TDI, great car. I sold a Volvo S80 T6 premier with about 330 HP and I have no regrets. I have done hours of research in regards to modifications for the 06 Jetta TDI and I have realized that I have a bunch more research to do before I make any decisions on which modifications I will choose.

Seeya on the Road

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Congrats - Nice color :) My car is great no problems - Good luck - this car has made driving a pleasure again - my 2001 Eclipse was a nice car but nothing like this Jetta.