New Jersey inspection.....what's involved?

ctrmass

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I'm looking at a 2013 TDI Passat.
It's out of state, has an EGR delete a stainless exhaust and high flo cat.
Does anyone know if I'll have problems in NJ inspection?

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
quick google search: About the NJ Vehicle Inspection Program
Emissions Inspections
New Jersey uses the On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) Test during the emissions inspection. OBD tests connect your vehicle to a computer system that checks for engine-related problems that could increase harmful emissions into the air. Your emissions inspection results are based on these findings.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
ie... NO codes set = pass

if ANY codes are set (like Check Engine light) = Fail

BTW, does NJ actually test diesel powered vehicles? Maryland does not. Ummm, just looked it up. It says that these vehicles are exempt: "Diesel-fueled motor vehicles having a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or more that are required to be inspected by the owner or lessee". So I am assuming your car DOES have to got to inspections.

Last edited:

ctrmass

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I havent had a car inspected in NJ in many years.
When you buy a brand new car, the inspection sticker is good for 5 years. (the car I'm looking at is in Pa)
Wifes last car was an 08, and we traded it in on a 12, so I'm not due until 2017 if we dont sell/trade it in before then.
My vehicle is a diesel pu truck. They stopped inspecting "trucks over 5000 lbs" a few years back. It's now "self inspection".
Before that, they didnt even hook up the OBD as far as I know.
Wouldn't matter much, mine is mechanical. There's virtually no engine electronics other than the gauges, a solenoid on the fuel pump, the starter and alternator. There is a "brain" but all it runs is the above few items and probably the ABS.
It used to have a cat, but that was the first thing I removed after leaving the dealer. :D
Inspection never even looked I guess, because I passed every year.

~so, I'm a bit outta touch on the NJ inspection stuff.
Thanks for the quick answers.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
They'll plug in OBD, and drive over a camera to check for a cat. As long as your readiness monitors are set, and you have something that resembles a cat, you'll pass