New IP - Some Questions

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Hey all, found an 11mm pump at the wreckers today. Looks like it's in good shape. I've been looking for an 11mm pump for a while and I knew when I found and pulled one that I would reseal the common seals. Unfortunately, the car it came out of had a small engine fire. It doesn't appear to have touched the pump itself, but some of the wires unfortunately got cut somehow. The only area that got burned was at the plastic IQ connector that plugs in further down the engine. Can I change over the old IQ "black box" from my 10mm pump, or am I going to have to figure out how to reconnect the wires? Or, should I even bother keeping it, just in case something did get damaged? What do you guys think?

TDI
2001 MKIV Bora TDI
I can't be of any help and answer your question, but logically speaking I wouldn't think that the controls from a 10mm would work on an 11mm.

However, shameless plug, if you decide not to keep it, please contact me asap. The pump in my car just died, and I'm stuck with a useless lump of metal yet again. I'll pay whatever you ask.

Thanks.
Jon

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
I can't be of any help and answer your question, but logically speaking I wouldn't think that the controls from a 10mm would work on an 11mm.

However, shameless plug, if you decide not to keep it, please contact me asap. The pump in my car just died, and I'm stuck with a useless lump of metal yet again. I'll pay whatever you ask.

Thanks.
Jon
They might be the same. There's also o rings under it so it must come off but I can't figure out how to take it off. I'll let you know what I do in the next week or so.

Not quite. Thanks though.

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Just swop it. There is no electronics in the pump, just dumb electrical stuff like electromagnets and solenoids. Up to the ECU to control it.

Or splice your good cxonnectors ontot the wires.

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Got all the wires connected back up. Thought it would be hard to do, but VW/Bosch was nice and numbered all of the wires. Going to swap it in on monday.

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
So I just finished getting the 11mm pump in. I like it so far now that I've timed it properly and got the IQ right. Did have some issues with the install though. I locked the pump properly at TDC the first time I put it in, but it was retarded by at least a tooth on the actual pulley. Finally got it started and drove it around a bit, when suddenly the car just started abruptly shutting off if I gave it over %25 throttle. Glow plug light was flashing, pulled a P0321 code. Anyway, timed it bang on today, sitting right at 60-63 on the chart, and drove it for much longer than yesterday, with no shut off issue! So because the pump was so retarded before, would that cause the ESS to see a discrepancy and just shut the whole thing off?

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
As it was so retarted, the IP probably couldn't deliver sufficient fuel for the requested load and the engine simply starved. So the IQ (control collar) and plunger lift worked against each other and fuel deivery was cut off too soon. I am still getting my mind over the intricasies of this pump, so forgive me if I talk nonsense.

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
As it was so retarted, the IP probably couldn't deliver sufficient fuel for the requested load and the engine simply starved. So the IQ (control collar) and plunger lift worked against each other and fuel deivery was cut off too soon. I am still getting my mind over the intricasies of this pump, so forgive me if I talk nonsense.
Totally would make sense. What I also thought was happening was that the crank was telling the ecu where it was and then the injection pump was telling the ecu it was so retarded that it just couldn't figure everything out and killed the engine. Or so I'm thinking is what happened haha.