New intake manifold and carbon cleaning advice on dealer costs

TDI
2001 VW Golf TDI
Hello All! I have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDi. Check engine light went off. It has an extended warranty because of the emission modification so I took it to the dealer. They said it needs a whole new intake manifold and that is covered under the warranty. However, they said it needs a “carbon cleaning” as well and that will cost $400 while they are in there. If I bring it back to have it done after they do the manifold replacement it will be $1,400.

My question is....Should I actually have the carbon cleaning done. It is not covered under the warranty- and I have no relationship with the dealer to know if they are blowing smoke up my ass....

Thanks!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
They are definitely blowing smoke at you. Skip it.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
They def are blowing smoke up your arse. I personally put almost 300k miles on my old 2011 and egr wasn’t even clogged or even slightly. They want to drain your wallet. Truly nice try!

Why do you need intake manifold replacement? Didnt you get P2015 error code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDI
2001 VW Golf TDI
How many miles?
160,600 miles and also yes the error code I got was P2015.

I guess I’m fine if they want to change the warranty part because it is covered. But the extra cleaning is what I’m like hmm....

Does anyone know “how” they actually perform a carbon cleaning? Specifically while replacing the intake manifold?

I like to do a lot of work myself anyway, so would rather save the $400, but not if I have to take apart what they just replace of course.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
A majority of the carbon build up will be in the old (replaced) intake. What exactly are they claiming to want to do, clean, add or perform? Pull the head, tear it down & decarbon the piston & valves?

Does sound like an "upsale"