New Injectors (.205) ..now horrible 2 stroke noise

morty

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf Silver
Car has been very good.

It just turned 80K when I finally got around to installing the Bosch injectors. Everything was clean, I used new washers, etc.

I liked the newfound power, and on a deserted not yet built subdivision I did 3 or 4 accelleration test. I really gunned it, abeit slowly off the line. I managed to pull some black marks even after clutch was fully let out.

OK, so I go for lunch in the afternoon, and I hear this awful noise when accellerating semi-hard. At first I thought clutch chatter. It's only when I get on it. I can run the same rpm *freely* w/o producing this noise.

Then I called Dogbreath (Brian) and he thought I might have popped a hose. I removed the heavy skid plate (wow- that thing has gotten some use) but I couldn't find anything wrong. I do not have access to an air compressor so I couldn't pressurize the intercooler/turbo combo.

I've had my typical share of TDI problems, but I still love the car, and wouldn't trade it for anything except another diesel (hopefully a Toyota Avensis in 06)

Let me describe the noise...

At first it sounded a an exhaust leak.

Then a compression leak...(maybe I didn't tighten the injectors enough)

Now after talking to Dogbreath (thank you) we feel that it might be a blown hose somewhere....only that I can't find it.

The car starts great and runs good. Only under other than meek acceleration does it make this sound.

I should have just gone for the Stage II or III kit from Valois.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Morty

00' Golf TDI

Smog

Registered Vendor
TDI
Jetta4 1999.5
YOU'VE got complete 0.205mm form RedRotor ?

It happened to my with the complete 0.216mm injectors :

One of your injector is not seated, retight the holder and/or change the copper seal.

this is a compression blow-by.

not related to the injector but the installation.

morty

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf Silver
That's what I STILL think it is...I'll have time to work on it tonight.

Yes, complete set from REDROTORS (Thanks!) .

Funny thing is, everytime I work on this TDI, I use the best tools, HAVE all the correct tools should I say...I follow the instruction to the "T" and then, once finished, I re-do the whole thing again, just to make sure /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was going to do it "two-at-a-time", but then started fussing over how the washers were put in. I took the whole thing apart again and had to try the "wet-the-rag" methoed.

Actually, I have 5 mins now and it's ice cold. I'll run out there right now and take them all out and re-install them.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I'm not expert, but I'm not sure how good it is to take it apart and put it back together again. I'm just getting very leary of these steel bolt into aluminum things. Do you need new washers, and make sure the seating surfaces are very clean.

morty

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf Silver
Thanks for the post.

I didn't have time to take it all apart again..

No, I used new washers..

#1 was about 1/4 turn loose...

I'll drive to work today and check it tonight again.

Everything was super clean when I installed it. I might pop back the old injectors to verify that in fact it is the injectors.

Thanks!

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Sounds like you might have fixed it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
My point is, leave well enough alone. Who knows how many cycles of install/uninstall you have on those bolts.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Morty...
One of my PP520's sprung a leak and is guessed to drop pressure, which in turn caused me to be carrying a dead cyliner. The dead cyliner created a 2 stroke "rattle" in the engine that I SWORE was the clutch.

Replaced the original OEM .205's and it went away. Greg set up the injector again... but I have not reinstalled yet.

Swap out your injectors... If your geting comprssion blow by, you can feel it and see the black build up forming around the injector.

Deception

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
YOU'VE got complete 0.205mm form RedRotor ?

It happened to my with the complete 0.216mm injectors :

One of your injector is not seated, retight the holder and/or change the copper seal.

this is a compression blow-by.

not related to the injector but the installation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I experienced this issue too! Believe me, I searched high and low to find where the stupid problem was coming from, and it was just one nut that wasn't tightened down enough! I too, have the complete set of Bosch/OEM 0.205s purchased from Red Rotors.

Make sure all your injectors are seated properly with new copper washers, and make sure the nozzles and orifices clean of soot and other crud. Use a dab of grease to affix the copper washer to the injector and then insert them into the block.

Make sure you tighten all the injectors down enough or else you will get a compression leak.

I had the same problem; under acceleration I would hear odd noises, like a loud fluttering, hissing sound. I thought it was a leak in the turbo piping, or a broken downpipe, or even something wrong with the turbo. Turns out it was a stupid nut. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
New washers are not always neede. The important thing is to make sure the injector seats are clean and you have the bolts tight. The torque spec is all well ad good in new motor and if everything is like new conditin. Onther thing is get the motor up to temp, let it cool down and then check them again.

Greg

morty

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf Silver
I couldn't duplicate the noise after tightning inj#1 & 3 down slightly.

I'm experiencing a lot of smoke under full throttle, but I hope to dial some of that out with vagcom.