New Hondas Catch On Fire.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
And you thought the 505.01 spec was bad!

27 Fires Linked To Oil Changes In Honda CR-V

By Greg Schneider
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, July 9, 2004; Page A01

At least 27 Honda CR-V sport-utility vehicles from the 2003 and 2004 model years burst into flames shortly after getting their first oil changes, according to records provided to the federal government by the manufacturer.

While no injuries were reported, many of the vehicles were destroyed, usually with 10,000 miles or fewer on their odometers.

The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration investigated the situation and concluded July 1 that the cases were the fault of dealerships or others who improperly installed oil filters. The agency agreed with American Honda Motor Co. that oil from the filters most likely leaked onto the vehicles' hot exhaust systems, quickly igniting -- in some cases as the owners drove the small SUVs home from being serviced.

"We consulted with Honda. Honda concluded it was a technician's error, and they have taken steps to make sure service technicians who work on this vehicle understand that they need to be particularly diligent when they replace the oil filter," NHTSA spokesman Rae Tyson said.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
My wife's '02 Nissan Sentra has a similar issue. The oil filter on the 1.8 engine is located in the back of the engine on the block. Everytime you unscrew the darn thing, the oil leaks on the CAT!
Such a stupid design! You have to make sure you wipe the oil off before you start the engine. We got free oil changes when we bought the car so we went to the dealer for them. The car would always have smoke coming out of the engine after an oil change, and I was wondering why
. I'm just glad the car didn't catch on fire... Now I change the oil on that one too. You just can't leave safety to dealers anymore....

scotthershall

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd
It took me 10 minutes to find the oil filter on my girlfriend's 2000 Mazda 626. It's on the back of the engine, high up, but you can't get it from the top as the intake blocks it. Another nice touch is the exhaust being a few centimeters from your arm when you're reaching for the oil filter. Half of the oil from the filter fell on the exhaust (which is was sure to wipe up) and the other half ran down my arm. And you have to do all of this blind, because you can't even see the oil filter from the bottom. That was fun.

And it uses the smallest oil filter I've ever seen. Take a 12 ounce soda can and cut it in half and you'd have about the size of the filter... I think my 3 cylinder Geo Metro used a bigger one.