New here - thinking of buying my first TDI

Webbie1

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE Manual
With my new 120 mile daily commute, I'm seriously thinking of ditching my 30mpg car (if driven the right way) and getting a 2015 Jetta TDI SE Manual. The car has just 22k miles on it and I think the price is good at $13,500. I've spent the weekend just reading about the recall and warranty and such...and the differences between diesel cars. I think I'm going to pull the trigger today....hoping for some votes of reassurance from this crowd, or words of warning before I do it.

Thanks in advance,

Warner

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd go for one at a VW dealer where you can get a CPO warranty, if you aren't already.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Price is pretty good. I'd look at the CARFAX and see how long it sat. You can look at the date the title was transferred to Michigan as the approximate turn in date. It doesn't mean the car ever went to Michigan, but the title did.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
A CPO car would be better as it comes with 2 years bumper to bumper warranty IIRC. Seems like they can be had for that price as well. Are you handy at all? Oil changes and fuel filter changes are reasonable if you can DIY. Count on about $80 each if you use the dealer.

Webbie1

TDI
Price is pretty good. I'd look at the CARFAX and see how long it sat. You can look at the date the title was transferred to Michigan as the approximate turn in date. It doesn't mean the car ever went to Michigan, but the title did.
May of 2017 went to Michigan (title).

January of this year emissions work done

March was sold at auction.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
So it has sat for nearly two years. I'd give it a close look for corrosion and rodent damage.

Webbie1

TDI
A CPO car would be better as it comes with 2 years bumper to bumper warranty IIRC. Seems like they can be had for that price as well. Are you handy at all? Oil changes and fuel filter changes are reasonable if you can DIY. Count on about $80 each if you use the dealer.
I wish I could find a CPO SE with that low of mileage for that price. I must be searching in the wrong places, because everything that I see that's CPO is considerably more expensive than this one is.

Warner

Webbie1

TDI
There's a bunch of 2014 models available. Are they much less desirable than the 2015's are?

Warner

Webbie1

TDI
I found a 2015 CPO Passatt SE manual with 40k miles on it for $13k. That seems like a safer bet to me, based on what you guys are telling me. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Warner

Webbie1

TDI
I think I'm going to jump on this 2015 Passat. Finding the CPO cars is not that easy, and this one is priced really fairly I think.

Warner

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My Passat was really nice. A big car but still great on fuel. If you have kids or passengers they will thank you. I wouldn't hesitate to get it if it is in good condition. Make sure it has the 40k service done.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
One note about DIY fuel filter changes -- you will need the Ross-Tech VCDS software and cable, because you need to run the fuel pump (alone) to purge the air from the fuel system before you start the car. Too bad you can't just initiate that from your console menu. However, you will find VCDS invaluable for many other things as well -- it's well worth the price even if you didn't have to use it for FF changes.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Yep, diesel cars sitting 1-2 years are most likely to have mold in the fuel tank. How Do I know?

after having 5 HPFP replaced, they finally look in the tank and found mold.......... *double face palms* and yes they covered it all.

Webbie1

TDI
My Passat was really nice. A big car but still great on fuel. If you have kids or passengers they will thank you. I wouldn't hesitate to get it if it is in good condition. Make sure it has the 40k service done.
I confirmed that the 40k mile service was done. In fact, the manager told me that he had to put $2,800 into the car to get it to CPO status. Guy seems like a real straight shooter. I qualified for their best financing rate (4.99% for 60 months). I put a $500 deposit down on it and plan on picking it up this Saturday.

Warner

Webbie1

TDI
Congrats! The Passat with the manual trans should be a great car.
Thanks. I'm pretty excited to be honest. I tried to find a way that getting a nice used car for $13k with 41k miles and gets 40+ real miles per gallon and comes with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty and a ridiculously long warranty on the emissions control system doesn't make sense, but I can't.

Warner

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Kind of why I bought my leftover (stop sale) new 2015 Beetle tdi. 11 year 162k mile emissions warranty plus 3 years 36k mile bumper to bumper and excellent fuel economy. What more could you ask for. I would have gotten a Passat but they didn't call me. I just happened to stop by and all they had left were two black Jettas and my Beetle. I also have MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance) through GEICO that covers anything VW doesn't cover (DSG etc) out to 100k miles.

Webbie1

TDI
Kind of why I bought my leftover (stop sale) new 2015 Beetle tdi. 11 year 162k mile emissions warranty plus 3 years 36k mile bumper to bumper and excellent fuel economy. What more could you ask for. I would have gotten a Passat but they didn't call me. I just happened to stop by and all they had left were two black Jettas and my Beetle. I also have MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance) through GEICO that covers anything VW doesn't cover (DSG etc) out to 100k miles.
Usually I'm looking for the "catch" on any deal, but honestly, besides some additional or at least different maintenance required for a diesel, I couldn't come up with a sensible reason NOT go to forward.

Warner