New guy looking for some advice

blackbeasst

TDI
2009 purchased 11/13 with 29k on the clock
New guy looking for some price advice on first tdi purchase

hey guys, so im looking at purchasing my first jetta tdi but don't quite know which direction to do as far as year. i've done weeks of reading up on these things and i've learned a lot. i know that all used cars can/will have problems and there's no way to tell what can/will happen.

my dilemma is finding the right one. here are the ones i've found and have asked no further questions just yet on them:

2006 package 2 118k $9,000
2006 73k $12,000
2009 93k $12,700
2009 28k $13,700

all have a clean carfax. like i said i've yet to ask about service done on them (mainly the 06 and 09 with 93k). im kinda concerned with the lower mile one being fairly cheap (at least from what i've seen others in that price range).

what are some pros/cons to these years and what are some thing i should ask and/or look for when test driving?

any info would be great for a new guy starting out :D

Last edited:

blackbeasst

TDI
i guess i should also add that i drive about 500 miles a week. that kinda steers me towards the lower mileage one and try and get him down to $13k

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Black, I would tweak your title so that people know what you are talking about. Like, "Used car prices: pros and cons". ;)

blackbeasst

TDI
Black, I would tweak your title so that people know what you are talking about. Like, "Used car prices: pros and cons". ;)
yeah it won't allow me to change what is seen as the actual thread title on the forum. all it changes is the thread title when you are in the thread!

oh well :D

BeetleGo

TDI
No well. Start another thread! We won't sue you. :)

OntarioVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta highline
If you can afford it I'd look for a 2010 and up. Gets the newer motor and 6 speed. Of the ones you listed any of them could be great or could be garbage depending on how they were treated.

blackbeasst

TDI
If you can afford it I'd look for a 2010 and up. Gets the newer motor and 6 speed. Of the ones you listed any of them could be great or could be garbage depending on how they were treated.
true. and i know that goes for anything thats used.

basically just wondering what are some things that are good and bad in the 06's and 09's that i can look at or ask about.

and the 10's are well out of my price range :(

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
true. and i know that goes for anything thats used.

basically just wondering what are some things that are good and bad in the 06's and 09's that i can look at or ask about.

and the 10's are well out of my price range :(
09's and 2010s are the same car except the front styling. 2011 is the chassis change.The six speed manual is available in both.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
No well. Start another thread! We won't sue you. :)
Talk about setting a newbie up. You know that the duplicate thread police will inform him that multiple threads about the same subject are frowned upon..............

Wouldn't be an issue for me, though.

blackbeasst

TDI
Talk about setting a newbie up. You know that the duplicate thread police will inform him that multiple threads about the same subject are frowned upon..............

Wouldn't be an issue for me, though.
i might be the new guy here, but this isn't my first rodeo on a forum ;)

back to the topic at hand. on the good side if i do go with the lower mileage i won't have to worry about the timing for at least another 60k'ish?

or if i have proof that the 06 has had everything done, that saves $4k off the top right there.

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
I would go with '06. They are well built. The only concern is the camshaft wear, but it is much cheaper to deal with that then HPFP of '09 and later.
One of my customers is at 210,000miles on his '06 and no observable wear yet.
The only one that wore out on the cars I maintained was at 471,000 miles.

blackbeasst

TDI
I would go with '06. They are well built. The only concern is the camshaft wear, but it is much cheaper to deal with that then HPFP of '09 and later.
One of my customers is at 210,000miles on his '06 and no observable wear yet.
The only one that wore out on the cars I maintained was at 471,000 miles.
yeah i've read a lot about that with the 06's. is there any way to tell or is it just a shot in the dark? and how much are we talking about for replacement if done by someone other than a dealer?

and here's the 06 i speak of

blackbeasst

TDI
i think im gonna try my luck on the very low mileage 09 if everything checks out with it. the guy with the 06 said he has no clue about prior maintenance since he bought it at auction.

BeetleGo

TDI
Something to consider is a larger area too. I bought my '05 back in '09 in Chicago. I live in Boston. A one way air ticket cost me $100. The car was a VW pre-owned affair, which gave me two years bumper-to-bumper protection, and the car had a measly 39k miles on it! It had been a lease car to someone who turned around and bought a brand new Sportwagon in cash! :eek::cool::)

blackbeasst

TDI
im still tossing around the idea of the low mileage 09. the carfax checks out and the autocheck score is a 91. just gotta figure if i want to spend that much or go with more miles at half the price and cross my fingers!

BeetleGo

TDI
If you're going to drive it into the ground, go newer. You'll get over the price long before you turn in the car!

blackbeasst

TDI
well i took the 09 for a test drive today. first time in a jetta, much less a diesel! gotta say they still have the diesel noise and shake/rattle of the motor, but man its a nice ride. it did have a stiff feeling all over, but i know its because of im not used to it.

he said he's pretty firm on the $13,750 so im still waffling back and forth though with that or a cheaper older model.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
2006 package 2 118k $9,000
2006 73k $12,000
2009 93k $12,700
2009 28k $13,700
Ok, initial thoughts, I would pay the 13.7K rather than the 12.7K for the '09s (everything else being equal) because right off you're going to be spending a good part of that on a timing belt replacement.

Age may be a factor in the condition of the timing belt of the low mileage '06 and I would want positive proof that the belt was changed and done properly for the higher mileage '06.

blackbeasst

TDI
Ok, initial thoughts, I would pay the 13.7K rather than the 12.7K for the '09s (everything else being equal) because right off you're going to be spending a good part of that on a timing belt replacement.

Age may be a factor in the condition of the timing belt of the low mileage '06 and I would want positive proof that the belt was changed and done properly for the higher mileage '06.
i did find an 06 with 159 for $6500 that the belt was done at 100. how often do these things need replacing?

blackbeasst

TDI
welp, i got her! shes sittin pretty in the garage after i ran her through the tunnel on the way home! pics to come in a new thread :)

blackbeasst

TDI
Which did you end up getting? I'm currently considering an 05 New Body with 161K on it, but he's pretty firm at $8500.
I went with the 09 with 29k miles. Too good of a deal to pass up. Also had a little surprise in the trunk that ill post in the pics thread :D

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I went with the 09 with 29k miles. Too good of a deal to pass up. Also had a little surprise in the trunk that ill post in the pics thread :D
I wonder what that surprise is. Is it as amazing as that guy who bought a cheap desk on craigslist and found almost 100K in cash in there?

blackbeasst

TDI
I wonder what that surprise is. Is it as amazing as that guy who bought a cheap desk on craigslist and found almost 100K in cash in there?
Ha! I wish. But it is about a $500+ surprise. Ill post pics when I get home tonight.