New guy, 2009 CR, I think my DPF is full

rippinryno

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
CEL is on, DPF comes on way to often in my opinion. I run interstate 25 miles to work. If i drive in town for 5 or 10 minutes, the regen starts, if I don't get to the interstate in the next couple startups, the light is on and i'm having to wait until my trip home or the next days trip up to work for the light to go off.

I have read a plethora of threads regarding the DPF, options to delete, replace, or ignore.

What is the best route and has anything come to light as far as servicing this or getting the ash out in any way? This car has 280k and has been 90% interstate commute, so it really should not have clogged terribly considering most of the rpm's were above 2k during it's life. THis car has a history of repairs and services including an emissions conversion, 2 exhaust manifolds, a couple exhaust flaps, EGR, and a couple other things over the years. Inside is in mint condition, there's some rust on one front wheel well that I am not worried about, otherwise a well maintained car. I am hoping to get another 100k out of her!

Thanks in advance! I am going to obdII to see what the CEL is. I am fairly certain it may pertain to the DPF, car runs great and still gets 42mpg.

Timing belt was done at 80k, it now has 280k so you could say it's on borrowed time already. My first job in the garage next week will be the TB package.

Last edited:

mextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 1.9, 2012 Passat TDI SE DSG, Previous 2014 Beetle TDi, 2012 Golf TDi DSG
I have seen people cleaning their DPFs with water and soap and such, I'm sure you've seen those Youtube videos.... Removing the DPF to clean it is probably quite difficult. I am aware that there are some manufacturers of DPF cleaning additives, try those and see if there is any change. Lastly, don't neglect your timing belt.... It could cost you a lot of money if it goes.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
OEM 2009 CRTDI exhaust is a single welded piece, IIRC, therefore DPF isn't "removable", without serious cutting.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
By emissions conversion, do you mean the fix mandated under the Dieselgate settlement? If I recall correctly, VW was supposed to replace automatically the DPF + catalyst assembly on all of the 2009 models, irrespective of their condition. When you said the car has now 280k, I immediately thought you ended up with a super durable DPF because they aren't expected to last too much beyond 120k. Do you have any idea if the DPF has been replaced by VW, and, if so, whether you are still covered by the extended warranty? If that's the case, let VW worry about it. The warranty means VW has to replace the DPF as many times as it takes before the warranty runs out. If you are no longer covered, I would personally consider getting a Malone tune and delete all that crap (DPF, EGR, NOx trap, H2S trap, flaps, LGBTUVWXYZ, etc, etc.). That will set you back about $2k, including the stainless steel STRAIGHT pipes. If you live in a state that doesn't give a crap about diesel emissions, you can get another 280k out of that vehicle, not just the 100k you are shooting for.

And, for crying out loud, do the timing belt TODAY!!!! It is supposed to be done every 120k. On the other hand, if it snaps, you will no longer have to worry about a clogged DPF filter.

rippinryno

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
i need to check on that dpf, not sure when warranty goes out, but i know for sure that my paperwork shows catalyst and some other things, but it's not very detailed from the dealership. There were too ocassions where the manifold and "exhaust flap" as they have on the paperwork were replaced. May be time to request that info be sent over as well as a carfax.

So, it seems my regen is workng properly however, anytime i start the car that DPF light comes on briefly, then goes off, then i get a warning message about dpf instructions (or something along those lines). Is it possible that this is why my CEL is on? It's only done the regen once so far in the 400 miles I've put on it and during that time I was not smart about driving it over 2k rpm so the light was stuck on for a day or two until i hit the highway.

just curious if i should try to clear that cel and if that could be on due to the DPF not getting a full regen too many times. currently no dpf is on, cel is on, and dpf light comes on real quik when i start it with that warning message.

Any suggestions on timing belt kit. I'm seeing kits that range from $80 on amazon all the way to $350 or so on some of the parts website. Definitely don't want to go with something that's not of good quality.

Anybody have good luck with gates? https://www.amazon.com/Gates-TCKWP3...s=TCKWP342&qid=1570112882&s=automotive&sr=1-1

thanks guys!

Last edited:

rippinryno

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I am sorry but I will not pay that kind of money for what should be a $25 kit. No offense to anybody, but that' simply not needed. While I have not done a VW timing belt I have done a half dozen honda's and toyota's. I won't bite on this kit for a one time timing belt change, there are other options out there and that large spanner tool isn't needed, but i can see how it might make it easier.

Ive read some codes with an obd scanner. 2 of them are glow-plug related (pressure) but i want to clear it to make sure they come back. My obd2 is telling me that i cannot clear codes. The faults say manufactureer control. This could just be my cheap obdII not wanting to do what it's supposed to do, but I'm wondering if this thing has been locked. My first code is likely from the dieselgate emissions service that was done as I have read tons of people showing the p2ba6 code after getting their cars fixed under warranty. THe thing runs great, but I want to be able to clear these codes so I can see which ones actually come back before I got buy all 4 glowplugs. Any ideas?

Last edited:

mextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 1.9, 2012 Passat TDI SE DSG, Previous 2014 Beetle TDi, 2012 Golf TDi DSG
In the long run, better, reputable parts are better for long lived diesels. People will recommend IDParts because they are reasonable in pricing for quality parts and because they help out this forum, which helps all of us.

People will sometimes be aggressive if you cheap out on your TDI and ask for advice on how to do so. Learn from the pros and go for brand names you trust, not reproductions or cheap kits with questionable reputations.

The tools you will need you will probably only use once but it is important to get the right ones or you will pay dear. There are some cheaper tools, used, in good condition on the classifieds forum.

Good luck!

rippinryno

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I know that better parts are better for engine, period. These aren't parts, they're just tools, i was half tempted to use a drill bit as I did on my honda's for years with dohc. I do not see a need to fork out over $150 for some tools, when i can get them for $15. I did the swap over the weekend, everything is good to go, was able to use the cheap kit and get it done. I ordered the belt kit from kerma. Had i purchased the tool kit I'd be in for $450, plus my labor, at that point i might as well take it to a shop, no?

This forum is great, and i appreciate anybody who sponsors and keeps it running. That being said, there are some extremely overpriced vendors and sites that are specialized in the TDI's. If they can make the money selling the stuff, more power too them, however I'll stick with my dealer for parts and fluids since the price is identical. As for special tools, these aren't anything made of gold, they're a couple pins, a gear tool, and a special wrench.

Thanks again for the help fellas, the car is road ready once i put new tires on it and a couple glow plugs, not seeing any performance issues, however the glow plugs are causing a CEL which I want to address.

Last edited:

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I know that better parts are better for engine, period. These aren't parts, they're just tools, i was half tempted to use a drill bit as I did on my honda's for years with dohc. I do not see a need to fork out over $150 for some tools, when i can get them for $15. I did the swap over the weekend, everything is good to go, was able to use the cheap kit and get it done. I ordered the belt kit from kerma. Had i purchased the tool kit I'd be in for $450, plus my labor, at that point i might as well take it to a shop, no?

This forum is great, and i appreciate anybody who sponsors and keeps it running. That being said, there are some extremely overpriced vendors and sites that are specialized in the TDI's. If they can make the money selling the stuff, more power too them, however I'll stick with my dealer for parts and fluids since the price is identical. As for special tools, these aren't anything made of gold, they're a couple pins, a gear tool, and a special wrench.

Thanks again for the help fellas, the car is road ready once i put new tires on it and a couple glow plugs, not seeing any performance issues, however the glow plugs are causing a CEL which I want to address.

I believe the glow plug is covered by the warranty as well.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I am way out of warranty though am I not? 2009 with 280k ?

Ah, I thought I read higher up in the thread that you had the "fix" done, which would provide warranty on those components. My apologies if that is not the case.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Ah, I thought I read higher up in the thread that you had the "fix" done, which would provide warranty on those components. My apologies if that is not the case.
it depends on what the mileage was WHEN the fix was done.. if the mileage was at 250,000 then wouldn't the warranty still be good?

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
I am way out of warranty though am I not? 2009 with 280k ?
Only you can answer that question. Only you know whether or not the emissions fix was done on your vehicle. If it was done, only you know what the odometer reading was at the time of the repair. The extended warranty VW provided for the fixed vehicles runs certain number of miles or certain period of time from either the date of the repair, or the date when the vehicle was brand new and first placed into service. It is for you to figure all these things out because you are in possession of the documentation that came with the car, none of us on this forum can help you with that.

rippinryno

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Quick update guys. Got new timing belt, wp, and the goodies installed, thing runs great still.

I did some research on the VW emissions warranty site. THis vehicle had the warranty done in 2017 at 256k miles. I now have 286k miles and am well within the warranty period.

The shop that scanned this mentioned one code referred to NOx system and one referred to a pressure sensor glow plug. MY DPF light continues to come on several times a week and during startup I get a DPF message. I have called the dealer and they informed me that dpf's are 3 months on back order. This is quite unacceptable. After speaking with the dealer they require that i bring it in so that they can do a diagnosis to confirm that my issues are emissions warranty related. IF they are not, i get to pay for the diagnostic fee.

My question, since I have a dpf light that comes on and off whenever it wants, i may not be getting full regen. The codes also seem to refer to emissions related items and the glow plugs. Is it safe to say that I should not have to pay anything to the dealer and that my CEL should be taken care of including the DPF messages and lights that continue to come on.

VW over the phone confirmed this shoudl be covered pending dealer diagnosis, but I just don't want to get stuck with a fee for something in the event that they can't pin it on the emissions warranty parts.

One last note, this DPF was done only 25k miles ago, ***! How can it possibly be bad so soon. I looked through records and really wonder if this dealer even used the correct oil which could be the reason for this DPF, they did the oil changes and it seems they may not have used the proper oil.

Either way, its going in on tues. to get looked at, he said it woudl take 2 hours. I will gladly wait to hear from them, if they tell me the thing can't be serviced for months I will then inquire about a rental vehicle during my down time.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
It is a safe assumption that your problems should be covered under the emissions warranty.

If your cars systems aren't working properly, it is very feasible that your new DPF would be clogged or almost clogged (blinking and intermittent DPF lights) within the 25k mile timeframe.

whatever you do, Do NOT clear any codes that are stored in your ECU before you take the car into the dealership.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
One last note, this DPF was done only 25k miles ago, ***! How can it possibly be bad so soon.
In my humble opinion, it will be a combination of several factors, including the following: 1. some other defect the dealer didn't pinpoint, such as air leak in the intake system; 2. the fact that these parts were not originally designed for the stresses they are now seeing post-fix; 3. the replacement DPFs are not brand new, but remanufactured junk.

If you think that getting 25 k out of your DPF is ridiculous, consider one owner on this forum who wrote that he is on his 4th DPF post-fix, with one of them lasting only 1,000 miles (!!!). It definitely sounded like his vehicle has some other issues that cause these premature failures of the DPFs, but his dealer, instead of properly diagnosing the root cause, simply keeps replacing the DPFs. Unfortunately, this seems to be the norm, rather than exception with the dealers, who either do not have the proper diagnostic tools/staff/knowledge to find out what's truly going on, or they just don't give a crap. If you have time, there is a lot of info on this forum about post-fix DPF failures, so do some searching, it's an eye-opening reading.

My recommendations for you are: 1. when the dealer is done replacing the DPF under warranty, ask him what the total repair bill would have been if you had to pay for that fix. Knowing that figure should make you nervous enough to proceed with the next two steps. 2. Find out exactly the date and mileage when your extended warranty expires. 3. Determine what you will do when the DPF goes bad again while you are no longer covered. Yes, I said when, not if, because it's only a matter of time/mileage when that happens again, but without coverage, the figure from step 1 will become your burden.

rippinryno

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
In my humble opinion, it will be a combination of several factors, including the following: 1. some other defect the dealer didn't pinpoint, such as air leak in the intake system; 2. the fact that these parts were not originally designed for the stresses they are now seeing post-fix; 3. the replacement DPFs are not brand new, but remanufactured junk.
If you think that getting 25 k out of your DPF is ridiculous, consider one owner on this forum who wrote that he is on his 4th DPF post-fix, with one of them lasting only 1,000 miles (!!!). It definitely sounded like his vehicle has some other issues that cause these premature failures of the DPFs, but his dealer, instead of properly diagnosing the root cause, simply keeps replacing the DPFs. Unfortunately, this seems to be the norm, rather than exception with the dealers, who either do not have the proper diagnostic tools/staff/knowledge to find out what's truly going on, or they just don't give a crap. If you have time, there is a lot of info on this forum about post-fix DPF failures, so do some searching, it's an eye-opening reading.
My recommendations for you are: 1. when the dealer is done replacing the DPF under warranty, ask him what the total repair bill would have been if you had to pay for that fix. Knowing that figure should make you nervous enough to proceed with the next two steps. 2. Find out exactly the date and mileage when your extended warranty expires. 3. Determine what you will do when the DPF goes bad again while you are no longer covered. Yes, I said when, not if, because it's only a matter of time/mileage when that happens again, but without coverage, the figure from step 1 will become your burden.

I read for years now about these, i was lucky enough to have a 2006 prior to this time so it was never a concern.

If the dpf goes bad after the 26k miles, which is what i have left on my warranty, I suppose I will just have to keep driving the thing until it's done. Right now, as is, i can still drive it, i still get 42mpg, and it still runs without issues, but the lights are annoying.

I completely understand that people aren't getting much life out of their dpf's, but I"m going to garuntee the guy that only got 1k miles wasn't a dpf issue and was a very rare case. but likely wasn't regen as it should or it stemmed from something else. Majority of people are going way over 20k miles before a dpf light pops on and off and random. How many people who have gone 100k on the dpf have come and posted about it? Majority wouldn't, unless there was an issue.

i truly do not have much confidence in the dealer i am taking it too, but they are all the same in my area and i'm at least going to attempt to get this thing fixed while it's under warranty, how long it will last, I do not know, but I might as well get it in and get it taken care of.

I am not going to do a delete, at any point, and, like i said, if this gets fixed it will probably be the last one that i put on this car.

i am wondering, however, if i have to wait months to get this fixed, is a loaner in the cards?

VW escalated this to regional team, which is good.

Last edited: