New fender install - question on application of seam sealer

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
In the process of putting my Golf's front end back together after getting it back from the body shop. I have two new, painted fenders and would like to know what all special things need to be done to reinstall.

I know that seam sealer is used on the areas of the fender as it attaches to the firewall area. I know that the bolt heads (and washers) were covered in sealer but I cannot recall whether sealer was used along all of the fender's edges that come in contact with the body.

Also, there's a bit of sticky residue on the top bolt hole locations where the fender connects inside the engine bay (under hood area). Is this just a light bit of sealer to help reduce noise (and or for other reasons)?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the sticky residue is rust inhibitor
Ah! Thank you! (I was about ready to write off this thread and get on with getting things back together- timely!) Can you point me in the direction of a suitable solution?

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
My MK3 had the front fender sealed on. But neither of them is sealed on on my MK4. I got a tube of the sealer at one of the local auto parts stores.

IIRC a bead of sealer was run basically along the seam where the fender attaches to the body. I don't think it's really needed on the MK4, especially here in the midwest, where they use nasty salt to keep the roads clear in the winter. So, it's nice to be able to just pull the fender and clean it out once in a while.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The point where the fender attaches to the body (firewall area?) gets water and I'm thinking that the seam sealer keeps the water from going between the two.

Cleaning, as I've done it, is to just pull the fender liner (or peel back just the area toward the firewall) and spray with a strong stream of water (and then kind of wipe down. Pulling actual fenders is an invitation to scratch them:(

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
Ah! Thank you! (I was about ready to write off this thread and get on with getting things back together- timely!) Can you point me in the direction of a suitable solution?

when you're all done you can just spray underbody spray and be done with it or you can go to a shop and have it treated. or you can just leave it alone. the odds are that you are going to total the car or blow an engine before it rusts through again. what ever you want to do.