New e-test

02bluejetta

TDI
2002 jetta TDI
Has anyone done an etest under the new testing procedures?
Will they test with a cel on?
Or will it pass with a cylinder 2 glow plug circuit code?

02bluejetta

TDI
2002 jetta TDI
I thought so,
I can clear the code and the cel will stay off for 2 hours or so, so I will try to clear right before the test.

jettaboosttdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
I thought so,
I can clear the code and the cel will stay off for 2 hours or so, so I will try to clear right before the test.
cannot just reset code and go for e test, have to run it for a certian amount of time until the readiness codes reset, usually by than the engine light comes back on, i know there is a certian procedure you can do to speed up readiness reset but im not quite sure how well it works, never used it before.

Vvarak

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta
I hope you read this in time. Don't test it.
If you have a CEL on, yes they won't test it; but they will charge you.
If you clear the code, it will also clear the "monitors". So if you go in immediately after clearing the codes, you will also fail (again paying for it).
After clearing there are about 8 different monitors (less for diesel) that need to re-populate. This takes about 2-4 days of normal driving to accomplish. You can validate the status of the monitors with a OBDII reader (depending on the model). You have to wait till all the monitors say "pass". Then simply walk in and immediately get a pass on your emissions.
I also had a CEL due to glow plug, but mine would take a few weeks to re-trigger. So I was ok. If yours comes back in 3 hours every time, you will have no choice but to resolve that first.
Good luck!

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
You have to wait till all the monitors say "pass".
Not true.

MTO said:
The new OBD test for Drive Clean will allow two monitors to be “Not Ready” if the vehicle model year is 1998 to 2000; and one monitor to be “Not Ready” if the vehicle model year is 2001 or newer. If more than the allowed monitors are “Not Ready”, the vehicle will not pass the OBD emissions test.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment/en/category/drive_clean/STDPROD_102286
A glow plug DTC will only cause one "Not Ready", so the car will pass provided that's the only issue.

Simon

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
....A glow plug DTC will only cause one "Not Ready", so the car will pass provided that's the only issue.

Simon
BUT, the check engine light will still be on, which is an automatic fail.

From the link in your quote:

When an emissions problem is detected on an OBD equipped vehicle, an instrument panel warning light called a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) turns on to alert the driver. The purpose of the MIL is to warn the driver of an emissions related problem that needs to be repaired. A vehicle with a MIL on has an emissions control system problem and will need to be repaired before it can successfully pass a Drive Clean retest.

Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BUT, the check engine light will still be on, which is an automatic fail.

From the link in your quote:
This may not apply to all TDIs, but if you clear a glow plug DTC on an ALH (turning off the CEL) and there are no other issues, there will only be one monitor not ready - so it should pass immediately provided it doesn't set the code again during the test.

Simon

fierodough

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle
This may not apply to all TDIs, but if you clear a glow plug DTC on an ALH (turning off the CEL) and there are no other issues, there will only be one monitor not ready - so it should pass immediately provided it doesn't set the code again during the test.

Simon
I was not aware this was possible. My understanding is the code sent to the ECU to clear the codes is a reset. It clears all obd codes, readiness and adaptions.

But I can be wrong... and it would not be the first time.

fierodough

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle

Simon
I was not aware this was possible. My understanding is the code sent to the ECU to clear the codes is a reset. It clears all obd codes, readiness and adaptions.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Wow, why not fix the problem? Winter is coming anyways. If it is a harness, deoxit it may give you enough time if you haven't used it yet.

I know when I have done a generic obd on my ford, the readiness green light is out after a reset. Never checked Witt the vdub and the vag com.

C

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I've asked Mufflerman in Cambridge it a CEL is an automatic fail and was told that according to the book, no BUT they yet to see a car pass with one. Then I told them that I have a diesel with a glow plug code that tripps the CEL and the plugs are not emission related (not as far as I know) they said they haven't had a case like this so maybe it would pass but only one way to fund out. This wasn't too reqssuring.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
If the tune is properly egr deleted, you will have no problem. I have had many pass. ALH and PD.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone pass with an EGR delete yet? Have to get mine done today.
I have a racepipe and a Rocket chip tune. I believe it has the EGR delete in the tune.
If the CEL is off and your scanguage says -- READY --. it will pass.

If the scangauge says -- NOT READY --, check which monitor(s) are not ready using VCDS. Your 2000 is allowed 2 monitors not ready, it takes 3 (of 5 total) to fail.

Simon

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Clearing codes does not clear adaptations, but it might be the tune that's setting the monitors back to ready immediately - I have not checked this on a stock ALH.

Simon

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
West Hill, Ont. Nov.2nd in Mexico till April 27th
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
If the CEL is off and your scanguage says -- READY --. it will pass.
If the scangauge says -- NOT READY --, check which monitor(s) are not ready using VCDS. Your 2000 is allowed 2 monitors not ready, it takes 3 (of 5 total) to fail.
Simon
Where do you find that on the Scangauge? I have a SCII with a software update done 2 years ago.

MoldovaDIZEL

Vendor
TDI
mk4 TDI, 98 Cabrio AAZ
also if you fail the first time but do 450$ of work at a e test facility you got a conditional pass for a year........complete money grab....
for my cabrio originally with obd2 but no obd2 aaz motor now I applied for hot rod application and once I got approved just went and payed the sticker not even a visual check.... useless emissions!

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
No dice today. Had trouble Sunday and went back today rescanned, still a no go.
Here is what it looks like with RocketChip:
[/URL]

Had I been smart, I would have disabled it first...

Talked to the tech at Can Ti afterwards, said it runs through the whole test just fine, then at the end, all the N/A's show up.

Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Where do you find that on the Scangauge? I have a SCII with a software update done 2 years ago.
When you select scan, the first screen says how many codes are stored and ready/not ready

No dice today. Had trouble Sunday and went back today rescanned, still a no go.
Here is what it looks like with RocketChip:
[/URL]

Had I been smart, I would have disabled it first...

Talked to the tech at Can Ti afterwards, said it runs through the whole test just fine, then at the end, all the N/A's show up.
That's strange, but I'm not sure what you could disable to get around it. What does scangauge and/or VCDS have to say about your monitors?

Our 2002 looked like this:

Anyone else here passed or failed with an RC tune?

Simon

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Think I'm going to be borrowing an ECU to get around this, not taking the chance again.
Not sure if that will work, the VIN will be wrong.

I would check it with VCDS to see if you can determine what is causing the test to abort, and talk to Jeff about it.

Anyone else with RC been tested?

Simon

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Not sure if that will work, the VIN will be wrong.

I would check it with VCDS to see if you can determine what is causing the test to abort, and talk to Jeff about it.

Anyone else with RC been tested?

Simon
Shouldn't matter as long as I recode it with VAG right?
Now that I think of it, its not the original ECU to begin with. I bought the ECU with the chip on it and coded it to my cluster.