New Dyno Results For JettaGirl's PD With DieselPower Products

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I went and got a new dyno on Saturday, May 26th. I was able to get a baseline and modded run. The dyno was a Mustang Dynamometer, loaded to 3500 pounds, and 30HP 50MPH. I don't know what the 30HP 50MPH is for, or what it's supposed to do, but the operator told me it was important.:eek: I don't know how to resize the pic, and I'm thinking it might be too big to post, so here is a link to the dyno sheet.

http://www.jettagirlracing.com/Pics/albums/userpics/10002/DynoSheet.pdf

Stock, my car got 110HP and 206ft. lbs. With the DieselPower Tuning Box and DieselPower TPC, I got 137 HP with 246 ft. lbs.

If I did the math correctly, that is a 25% increase over stock. I don't have the baseline dyno sheet scanned in yet, so you will just have to take my word for it.;)

Edit: I forgot to include the RPM's at the start of the test and gear that the test was run in. The test was started at 1500 RPM's in fourth gear.

Last edited:

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Yeah, the stock numbers are indeed a bit high, that is why I included them so you can see the gains relative to the stock reading. 110 plus 25% equals 137...so that is where I got the 25% increase. :)

I think...I don't know if I'm using the right math formula to come up with the 25% gain, I'm hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong.:eek:
Wait a minute, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.:D ;)

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
People won't ***** if you have stock #'s done on the same dyno with the same car. Which you have :)

I am sure the car feels like a completely different beast! Congrats, I am sure it is a lot more fun.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
jetta-girl said:
I went and got a new dyno on Saturday, May 26th. I was able to get a baseline and modded run. The dyno was a Mustang Dynamometer, loaded to 3500 pounds, and 30HP 50MPH. I don't know what the 30HP 50MPH is for, or what it's supposed to do, but the operator told me it was important.:eek: I don't know how to resize the pic, and I'm thinking it might be too big to post, so here is a link to the dyno sheet.

http://www.jettagirlracing.com/Pics/albums/userpics/10002/DynoSheet.pdf

Stock, my car got 110HP and 206ft. lbs. With the DieselPower Tuning Box and DieselPower TPC, I got 137 HP with 246 ft. lbs.

If I did the math correctly, that is a 25% increase over stock. I don't have the baseline dyno sheet scanned in yet, so you will just have to take my word for it.;)
Yup, 137/110 = 24.5%
And 246/206= 19.4%

Since it showed 110 HP/206 ft-lb from a stock 100 HP/177 ft-lb motor, we can apply the ratios to the dyno numbers to get the true power and torque.

(100/110)*137 = 125 HP
(177/206)*246 = 211 ft-lb

Your motor can easily put out 140 or 150 HP and 230 ft-lb or 250 ft-lb with some more mods though.

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm amazed at how well the horsepower and torque extended at high rpm in stock trim. My 2006 MKV TDI (5speed) felt like it didn't have much left after 4k rpm with the stock software. With my tune it keeps pulling waaaayyy into the red:D.

It's also interesting that you didn't have a huge drive train destroying low rpm spike that's typical of tuning box dynos.

What fuel did you use for your runs? And at what rpm did the operator go WOT?

Last edited:

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Thanks, Bob, I knew I could count on you for the math figures.;) LOL

SuperJ, I meant to include the RPM's that they started the test in. Sorry.
The test started at 1500 RPM's, in fourth gear.

I filled up at the Safeway gas station down the street. I know it's bad to use grocery store fuel, but I do anyways. I've been told that Shell or 76 diesel is much better, I wonder if better fuel would have done anything for the HP.

drkblujetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi A4 ALH TDI
Nice Gains.........:D:D

I'm sure the racing event went well too.........;)

See ya on June 16th:cool:

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
dvst8r said:
Finally some realistic tuning box numbers. Solid gains, what is your mod list?
I have the DieselPower Digi-PD and the DieselPower TPC. :)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Turbo Pressure Controller?

It's what controls the booooost. (JettaGirl correct me if I'm wrong though)

KROUT

persona non grata
Very nice gains not bad if you dont mind spending that much money for 27 hp.
Way to go on the base line dyno that avoids alot of bs here. These boxes seem to work well if you want to be able to return to stock but a chip is alot cheaper and will give the same gains.
Please dont take this as a box bashing thats not my point. My only point is you can spend half the money for the same results unless you really want removable performance parts.

Very nice numbers and very realistic unlike others we have seen.

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
The salient point is the 25% gain. From there we can make real world assumptions about stock WHP. If stock WHP were a more realistic 90HP then the gain would be 22.5HP for mod dollars spent.

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
KROUT said:
I thought she has a pd. Aren't they rated at 100hp stock.
I think that's right. Normally drivetrain losses show on the dyno unless the operator attempts to back them out. Percent HP gain is nice for eliminating the smoke and mirrors confusion.

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Yep, Bob_Fout, you are right..
Turbo
Pressure
Controller

This device allows me to control the PSI my turbo will maintain.

My TDI is rated at 100HP from the factory. I don't know if this means at the crank or wheels. I'm sure you guys can figure that one out. Then let me know, please.;)

Krout, I know there are cheaper ways to go about achieving the same, if not more, HP out of my car, but I had a lot of reasons to go with the DieselPower products, and at the time I was modding my car there were not many options out there.

I would like to say that I've been using DieselPower products on my car for over a year, and the power/torque still makes me giggle. Even though the power gains were slightly less than I was hoping for, they were within the parameters of what I was expecting. DieselPower claims up to 30% gains with their products, and the 25% gain that my car saw is really quite close to that. I've taken advantage of being able to return my car to stock on numerous trips to the dealer, so that is an important feature to me. All in all, I think DieselPower makes a good product. It meets the needs of some people who want the adjustability of thier modifications, want improved MPG, and who don't necessarily want to go all out performance wise. The DieselPower tuning boxes add a very noticeable "kick" and it's a lot of fun to "hot rod" around in a car that has one of these tuning boxes.

I didn't set out to get this dyno to prove or disprove anything. I was at the dyno day with the NHRDA and thought you guys would like to see the results.:)

Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread civil!!:D

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
It's 100 BHP...brake horsepower...meaning at the crank.

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
greengeeker said:
Must be equally not fun to go back to stock for those trips to the dealer?
Just takes me about 15 minutes...I'm still learning what plug goes where. Most everyone else, it takes 5-10 minutes. No biggie! I'm just really, really challenged when it comes to anything on my car.;)

Worst part is peeling off all the stickers on my car right now. I'm over due for an oil change, but I don't want to have to peel off all the decals to take it to the dealer, then have to reapply new ones...:rolleyes:

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
greengeeker said:
I meant driving it in stock form.
Oh, yeah. Duh! Sorry...:eek:

Driving it in stock form sucks after you get used to the turbo lag being gone! :D

stronzo

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 golf tdi
I here the PD motor is more then A 100hp thats what I have been told from some tuners cant remember if it was close to 105hp

stronzo

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 golf tdi
jetta-girl said:
Oh, yeah. Duh! Sorry...:eek:

Driving it in stock form sucks after you get used to the turbo lag being gone! :D
You still don't have no lag, are you sure your not burning your clutch:D;)

KROUT

persona non grata
doesn't diesel power advertise 30% gains with just the box? You have tpc I would have thought your power to be higher according to the dynos Joe posted when he first started pimping these.

jetta-girl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
KROUT said:
doesn't diesel power advertise 30% gains with just the box? You have tpc I would have thought your power to be higher according to the dynos Joe posted when he first started pimping these.
DieselPower advertises *up to* a 30% gain in HP. I'm not sure if the 2006's are any different than the previous year's PD's in regards to what the boxes will do for you. I was told that I would get *up to* a 30% gain and I don't personally feel mislead in the least bit. My TPC is on a very conservative setting, I race with my car set up for everyday driving and I didn't change any of the settings for this dyno. (Except to take the boxes off for a baseline). If I set the TPC to sustain a higher PSI I'm thinking that would affect the HP. Not sure, though, I'm very new to all of this. Right now, it's set to sustain 18 PSI.

When I was at the JSP dyno day on the Kinetic dyno, the readings were way higher than this last dyno, but bear with me... My stock reading on that dyno was 120HP. My HP reading with my TPC set at the highest "safe for my turbo" limit was 168HP. This would give a 40% increase, if I'm doing my math right. So, even those are inflated numbers, wouldn't the percentage gains all be relative? I'm asking because I don't really know...:confused:

I was hoping for something in the 140-150HP range, didn't get it, but I'm still happy with my car's performance, and it's still a lot of fun to drive. I bought my Digi-PD directly from Joe back when he was selling them himself, and he did not give me any misleading facts to falsley get my hopes up. My dealings with Joe and DieselPower have all been completely up front and honest. I wasn't here when the tuning boxes first came out or were first talked about, so I'm not really sure what was said or advertised. I can only testify to my personal experience which has been excellent.:)

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Here are the advertised power upgrades from their website. (just the tuning box alone)

Standard 74 kW100 hp 240 Nm177 lb-ft
Diesel Power88 kW120 hp 288 Nm212 lb-ft
Injection systemPumpe Düse
Diesel Power ModuleDIGI PD 3-4 Cylinder
Article numberDPPD
Adapter1.9PD
TÜV CertificationYes
Price399 £