New Diesel Anyone?

jmanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium - gone
i really don't see any of these "new" diesels come any where close to the mpg's that the vw tdi's have...
That is the issue. Even though there will probably be future diesels, it doesn't appear they will even approach the MPG what we have enjoyed up until now.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
i really don't see any of these "new" diesels come any where close to the mpg's that the vw tdi's have... <snip>

No. And if they play by the rules, they CAN'T. A byproduct of VW's cheat was the superior mileage. As another contributor to this forum remarked, "These cars are unicorns, they never should have existed."
So- If you want the better mileage, and maybe to have something unique, then keeping it is the way to go.

jmanner

Veteran Member
TDI
No. And if they play by the rules, they CAN'T. A byproduct of VW's cheat was the superior mileage.
Oh, I don't think it was a byproduct. In my opinion they cheated with fuel economy as a primary objective. Regardless, you are correct, if we wish the MPG, then keeping is the answer. However, the "fix" complicates the issue. Presuming the fix reduces economy, and possibly performance, the $5K-$6K will purchase a lot of fuel if one goes this direction. Ignoring the fix does not appear to be the way to go. Or, getting top retail as of Sept 2015 PLUS the above money, sure makes it appealing to not worry about fuel economy so much.

ohenry

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I have driven a Genesis, and I like them, a lot. I think when I finally get the buyback, the Genesis will be on my short list. Perhaps a nice used 2013 or 2014 model.

Also on my short list are a Town & Country, used 2015 or 2016, with low miles.

And ... just maybe a Passat. A new 2017 R-Line, or a used 2015 or 2016 SEL Premium.

Yeah, I know, quite a wide selection.

jmanner

Veteran Member
TDI
I have driven a Genesis, and I like them, a lot. I think when I finally get the buyback, the Genesis will be on my short list. Perhaps a nice used 2013 or 2014 model.
And ... just maybe a Passat. A new 2017 R-Line, or a used 2015 or 2016 SEL Premium.
On the Genesis, the 10/100 drivetrain warranty is not transferrable, but the bumper-bumper 5/60 is. If you haven't already, check out the Genesis owner's forum. They are not as trouble-free as say a Toyota, but apparently not terrible. Failing sunroofs are one issue which can be very expensive if out of warranty.

ohenry

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
On the Genesis, the 10/100 drivetrain warranty is not transferrable, but the bumper-bumper 5/60 is. If you haven't already, check out the Genesis owner's forum. They are not as trouble-free as say a Toyota, but apparently not terrible. Failing sunroofs are one issue which can be very expensive if out of warranty.
About a year and a half ago, I was looking very hard at used Genesis cars. I did read through the owner forums. Another trouble spot was the stereo or entertainment system on the higher end models. That could cost you up to $5k to replace, and they did sometimes go bad.

The recommendation was to pay about $1,200 for the extended warranty. The dealers ask for a lot more than $1,200, but that appeared to be the price to negotiate down to.

One reason I didn't actually buy was that I wanted the V8 engine, but I did not want the 19 inch wheels with the short sidewall tires. There are a lot of potholes where I drive.

Interestingly enough, the 2013 Passat TDI with the 17 inch wheels does very well with pot holes, and rough streets, and railroad tracks. Which is another reason that I might buy another Passat.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
Oh, I don't think it was a byproduct. In my opinion they cheated with fuel economy as a primary objective. Regardless, you are correct, if we wish the MPG, then keeping is the answer. However, the "fix" complicates the issue. Presuming the fix reduces economy, and possibly performance, the $5K-$6K will purchase a lot of fuel if one goes this direction. Ignoring the fix does not appear to be the way to go. Or, getting top retail as of Sept 2015 PLUS the above money, sure makes it appealing to not worry about fuel economy so much.
I agree with Rico567, the purpose of cheating was to comply with emission requirements when the car is being tested, in particular NOx emission. They optimized for fuel consumption, among other factors, when NOT in the cheating mode (i.e. when the car is back on the road).
If I were to chose a fix (I'm not) and pocket the compensation, I would then return the car to its original state (hardware & software) and maybe eliminate a few things from the exhaust system and re-flash the ECM for added performance.

Last edited:

blaster668

TDI
2012 Jetta
i really don't see any of these "new" diesels come any where close to the mpg's that the vw tdi's have... that is why I am keeping mine..not to mention the power ratings that are fine stock on the tdi's with mods that can improve BOTH mpg's AND power! Mine is a 2011 so NO scr system! Gotta love them i.m.h.o.!
Ummm, the Jaguar XE is rated at 42 highway, 32 city. This is with an automatic and rear wheel drive which is less efficient than front wheel drive. This is better economy than the pre '15 Jetta TDI with the manual and significantly better than the auto, all the while producing 40 more HP and 82 more lb-ft of torque than the TDI. I sure wish they offered this car here with a manual.

I bet the Cruze 1.6 diesel will probably be pushing 50mpg highway EPA rating.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Ummm, the Jaguar XE is rated at 42 highway, 32 city. This is with an automatic and rear wheel drive which is less efficient than front wheel drive. This is better economy than the pre '15 Jetta TDI with the manual and significantly better than the auto, all the while producing 40 more HP and 82 more lb-ft of torque than the TDI. I sure wish they offered this car here with a manual.

I bet the Cruze 1.6 diesel will probably be pushing 50mpg highway EPA rating.
not really true.do a little research:rolleyes:... the pre 15 jett'a ( mine being a 2011 manual) gets 47 mpg's or more highway.. nothing out there "new" can beat the earlier tdi's mpg's.. that is... using a "fuel" of some sort:D

Last edited:

ChrisB009

I'm not buying another diesel car due to the fact they have become unreliable, poor mpg and expensive to maintain. I'll only buy diesel trucks but only when absolutely necessary. Diesel isn't what it used to be since the EPA instituted all the exhaust mandates. Wish I had kept my 2006 Jetta tdi...

blaster668

TDI
2012 Jetta
not really true.do a little research:rolleyes:... the pre 15 jett'a ( mine being a 2011 manual) gets 47 mpg's or more highway.. nothing out there "new" can beat the earlier tdi's mpg's.. that is... using a "fuel" of some sort:D
I'm talking official EPA numbers, the only reason TDIs get that kind of real world mileage is because of the cheat device. There isn't enough data out there yet to see what the XE will get real world.

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
Gave my TDI to my son and got a new Genesis. No comparison to the TDI. It is quieter, faster, better ride, better electronics and larger. A true luxury car and I've had a few Benz's also. Hyundai is loading these cars to get into the market. A good time to buy or lease.