New diesel addition 89 Jetta

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Well I got halfway done with the belt, and decided to pull the crank gear and replace the crank seal. Good thing I did. The keyway on the crank gear was cracking and surely would have failed soon.....

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Replaced the gear oil in it today..... Boy was it nasty.

The early 020 takes 2 liters still, but must be filled thru the speedo cable hole. I go to DEQ tomorrow to get it inspected.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
UPDATE:

Car is up and running. No coolant, fuel or oil leaks:p

I ended up getting a new water pump housing and taking my old injectors and having them re-built by a local shop. If you live in the Maryland/DC area I would reccomend them. Fast, courteous service! They included 4 new heatshields and new return line with their service

http://www.dieselpump.com/

I did not have a tool to time the injection pump, so i did it by ear. First try, she sounded good but smoked at idle. I loosened the pump bolts and pulled her forward a bit and she dropped a bit in RPM and stopped smoking. Guess once I actually get her on the road fuel economy will tell.

I do have another problem, either a bad wheel bearing or flat spotted tire. When driving even at low speeds, she goes whump, whump, whump.

So I will get that checked out and begin the cosmetic stuff.

Heat gun plastics, compound and buff, new door strikers, new door handle accent pieces and a radio.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE:

Heat gunned all the exterior plastics, they now look brand new with the exception of the 2 small trim pieces on the bumpers that once were silver. Are they replaceable? They would sure set the car of nicely if I could get some.

Installed 4 new door striker posts and 4 new stainless steel door handle exterior trim pieces.

Compounded the roof, trunk, hood and one quarter panel and rear door. Took car from a white tinged grey to a true white. Most of the paint is in fantastic condition and with one more compounding and a couple of coats of wax will look GREAT! Enamel paint with no clear coat is more forgiving and sooooooooooo much easier to rejuvenate than cc cars.

I will soon take some pics and post them up.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE: PICS BELOW

So car is FINALLY on the road. I have put about 900 moistly trouble free miles on her so far.

First refill and she is getting 47.9 MPG Not too bad in my opinion. What are others getting with a 1.6 NA?

I did discover the hydraulic tranny mount was shot and replaced it with a G4 mount and right after that the master cylinder gave up the ghost. Other than that one minor fuel leak on injector # 1 fitting. Tightened it up and all is good.

This weekend I charged up the AC, used this stuff called ENVIROAIR which is a substitute for R-12 and R 134-A. Pulled two deep vacuums and valved it off over night. Came back to her in the morning and she held a vaccume. YEAH!!! Charged a liquid into the low side, started the car and placed fan and AC selector switch to high. BINGO! Compressor came on as well as electric fan as it should. Only SNAFU was an adapter I installed was bad and I lost the first can into the environment:eek::( So it works but is about 21 ounces low on charge, have to order another can.

Next I gave up on the stock stereo. I had ordered a stock Heildelburg off of the tex and either the stereo was bad or the code the guy gave me was wrong.:mad:

I went ahead and installed a JVC that has a USB, detachable face, Pandora compatibility, Mic for my phone and remote. I also ordered two Kenwood 6x9's and two premade boxes to house them. Nothing fit the stock locations on the rear deck and I did not want to cut holes. How did these cars ONLY come equipped with speakers in the rear on some cars:confused:

Install was pretty much trouble free other than having to find a switched power supply. For this I tapped off the switched power on the light switch which I soldered in as well as the final speaker connections. All that is left to be done is to properly mount the face plate.

Is it just me or do y'all hate all of the new stereos? I HATE the buttons instead of knobs and all of the color options etc. It is going to take me 2 months to dial this thing in to where I want it and learn the basic functions.:eek:

Anyway onto the pics. Note the Lecastellete rims. I bought them from member StealthTDI. He had began polishing them, I finished then painted the holes black. Found a set of 4 nearly new Kumho Estacas on CL for $80 and another $40 to have them mounted. That puts me at $220 for 4 nice rims and tires mounted and balanced.:)

PICS:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Looks good, Frank. You gonna bring it to Impex this year?

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks good, Frank. You gonna bring it to Impex this year?
I will have to if I come:( I may be working on this:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=353457

Drove 89 today for the first time with the AC on. Worked GREAT!!!

However somehow the wipers kept coming on mysteriously and would turn off if you pulled the handbrake:rolleyes: I was in a hurry so I pulled the fuse will have to troubleshoot later:mad:

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice looking car, I had a white one just like that, built in Dec 88 of the first one those sold in early 1989. I got mine in Feb 89, What month was that one built??
It was the last of the 89's built in the spring of 89.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
89' Jetta Euro lights

Grille and rad support are the same for Jetta euro lights. Round Golf lights use a different grille.

-J
You're going to love the improvement. I changed out the square headlights on my 89' last year, and used the Cibie' EC 90W/100W for the 7" units and kept the Hella 5-3/4' in the grill, but went to 100W bulbs in those also. Additionally, I installed the Cibie' clear Cesar' fog lights for those "pea soup" fog conditions, that crop up during the Spring and Fall and for heavy snow conditions. I usually keep them covered, because with the set up on the car, under the majority of driving conditions, they are usually not necessary.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Grille and rad support are the same for Jetta euro lights. Round Golf lights use a different grille.

-J

Thanks for the offer but I am going to go with the dual round setup. Most likely my only mod on the car with the exception of a enlarged straight through exhaust and a giles pump when it is needed.

Honestly for now the stock lighting is not too bad. in fact better than my MK4 with euro housings.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
You're going to love the improvement. I changed out the square headlights on my 89' last year, and used the Cibie' EC 90W/100W for the 7" units and kept the Hella 5-3/4' in the grill, but went to 100W bulbs in those also. Additionally, I installed the Cibie' clear Cesar' fog lights for those "pea soup" fog conditions, that crop up during the Spring and Fall and for heavy snow conditions. I usually keep them covered, because with the set up on the car, under the majority of driving conditions, they are usually not necessary.
Sounds nice! Have photos and reccomendations of places to purchase? I know BFI and NGP has them but perhaps you know of better places. Some install tips would be helpful as well. Like do you need additional hardware, plug end adapters, dash switch etc.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Straight through is going to be deafening unless you do a turbo. Consider some sort of muffler for the NA, even if it's a mostly hollow performance muffler or resonator.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Straight through is going to be deafening unless you do a turbo. Consider some sort of muffler for the NA, even if it's a mostly hollow performance muffler or resonator.
Thanks for the heads up, I was just going to go mufflerless the drone would KILL me.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
My Mk2 (with a turbo) required ear plugs at anything over 70 mph on the highway for any length of time. The NA will be much worse.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
My Mk2 (with a turbo) required ear plugs at anything over 70 mph on the highway for any length of time. The NA will be much worse.
What is the feasibility of putting a turbo kit on a 1.6 NA? Seems from researching there are mixed opinions to if the engine will hold up.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
What is the feasibility of putting a turbo kit on a 1.6 NA? Seems from researching there are mixed opinions to if the engine will hold up.

Me being someone that has cleanup the mess created by someone else installing a turbo to non-turbo 1.6 engine I can say, just say NO!! If you do it You will end up with the engine in a basket in pieces. The 1.6 without oil sprayers will quickly suffer piston damage, the head has the wrong valves so will not be able to handle all the extra heat, no oil cooler will cause extreme spikes in oil temps...You want a TD, get a TD block & head along with all the required updated parts to start with.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Poopie what the hell kind of thread jack was that? Jumping on my euro parts and not even a congrats on getting her on the road:confused:
:eek:

Well congrats then.... Figure out the wipers yet? What ive noticed on my TD is that all of the electrical gremlens seem to be going away on their own the more i drive it...... Very strange.

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
:eek:

Well congrats then.... Figure out the wipers yet? What ive noticed on my TD is that all of the electrical gremlens seem to be going away on their own the more i drive it...... Very strange.
:) I reinstalled the fuse for the wipers and so far the issue has not repeated itself. Yesterday however, rolling along at about 70mph, i took a ramp and the oil light came on and buzzer. i abruptly screeched off to the side of the road and killed the engine, popped hood and found plenty of oil:) made sure and triple checked. Restarte4d car and went on my way. Another 10 miles or so later it buzzed again for a split second. I was only 1/2 mile from home so i checked again in driveway. Plenty of oil and has not done it again:)

How is the smoke on yours during acceleration? Mine is clear up to about 2/3rds of each gear and then smokes quite a bit until I shift, or revs smooth out. Is this normal? I see people behind me jumping a lane if I am romping on it, not sure if it is because acceleration is so slow or the smoke. most likely a combination........LoL

Also, I noticed since these cars are so woefully underpowered, shifting from 1st-5th as quickly as possibile is the only way to somewhat keep up with traffic in conjested areas.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Argh. Sounds like your intermediate shaft bearings may be flaking off and giving up oil pressure.

Ive got the tool to replace without engine removal and full dissasembly.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5599434-intermediate-shaft-bearings
And an extra set of bearings from when i did mine.

Youll have to disconnect the inner cv joints, remove all motor mounts, and lower the engine on the passenger side to clear the frame rail, but it beats full removal.

My intermediate bearings were only about 50% left.... Yikes.
Also remember to clean the oil pickup screen... Thats where all the bearing bits go.

Let me know if you need it.

Smoke on mine is moderate. Less than my Heavy fueled alh.... Ive the turbo turned up as well as gtd injectors though.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
:) I reinstalled the fuse for the wipers and so far the issue has not repeated itself. Yesterday however, rolling along at about 70mph, i took a ramp and the oil light came on and buzzer. i abruptly screeched off to the side of the road and killed the engine, popped hood and found plenty of oil:) made sure and triple checked. Restarte4d car and went on my way. Another 10 miles or so later it buzzed again for a split second. I was only 1/2 mile from home so i checked again in driveway. Plenty of oil and has not done it again:)

How is the smoke on yours during acceleration? Mine is clear up to about 2/3rds of each gear and then smokes quite a bit until I shift, or revs smooth out. Is this normal? I see people behind me jumping a lane if I am romping on it, not sure if it is because acceleration is so slow or the smoke. most likely a combination........LoL

Also, I noticed since these cars are so woefully underpowered, shifting from 1st-5th as quickly as possibile is the only way to somewhat keep up with traffic in conjested areas.
Oil light and buzzer is a low pressure warning above 2k rpm, under 2 bar. Your engine doesn't have oil sprayers under the pistons so it is likely a faulty sensor on top of the oil filter housing.

This engine does smoke quite a bit under load, less than earlier models because of that altitude adjusment system. Is the pump set to spec pressure from a bench test?? Is it's the fuel screw still locked with the seal in place?? You can raise the pop pressure on the injectors to clear up a bit of that smoke if the pump is able to handle the higher pressure, not warn too much.

That thing can be shifted from 1st, 3rd, 5th pretty easily, I did it for years. This is realy handy for lower speed city loop driving...

You can improve the gearing with taller skinnier tires, 75 or 80 series. I install 75 series to improve fuel economy on everything I own. I have 215/75 14s on my Passat and 15s Corolla, Accord and Camry. This changes the gearing quite a bit on the highway lowering the rpms in every gear and at speed. Lower rpms over the right terrain lowers fuel consumption.