New Dealer Key / Immobilizer / VCDS question.

Varkias

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf TDI
Hey all,

I've been searching around and found a couple posts on vortex about this, but no answers. Hoping someone here has a good idea.

So, I wanted a second remote key for my '02 Golf, knowing all the issues with eBay and used keys, I ordered a new one from the dealer and went there this morning to pick it up and have it programmed. Long story short, they spent an hour trying to program MY CURRENT KEY, told me there was a problem with my car (not the key) and that they couldn't do it. I said okay, fine, give me my new key and I'll see what I can do.. at which point I got a dumb look and it took them another 10 minutes to fine my NEW KEY which they HAD NEVER TRIED to program. Wow, that wasn't short at all! I must still be grumpy.

Needless to say, I just walked out at that point.

I had no issue programming the new key to the car when I got home with my VCDS/VAG-COM and both the new key and the old key work fine, however when I start the car with the new key the immobilizer light comes on and flashes... but the car starts and drives! Totally weird.

Also, when I was in VCDS under adaptation I couldn't get the "save" button to light up when I set the number of keys to "2", so the car still seems to think it only has one key?

I'm not sure if I did something wrong, or if there is an issue with the key or my immobilizer.

Yes, both keys (my old one and the new one) work fine, as does the valet key, yes the car has Rocketchip.

Any ideas or info would be great, I really don't want to drive around with an immobilizer issue and get stranded, and I REALLY don't want to have to head back to the dealer....

Varkias

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf TDI
Hmmm... did more searching and seems that I skipped reprograming the immobilizer in VCDS. Now of course I don't have the PIN to login... awesome. Still doesn't explain why I'm able to start the car with the new key, unless my immobilizer is really really wonkey, which is totally possible.