New Daytime Running Lights Question

gavio

Veteran Member
Hi Folks:

We just got Deb's new B4 Variant (
), and the DRLs on this one work differently than on the last two B4s we've had. All of them are '96s, but on the last two, whenever the ignition was on, ALL of the lights came on, including dash, tail and parking lights. We, in fact, were not really in the habit of turning the lights on at all, except for occasions when we needed to use the high-beams. Anyway, on the new one, only the headlights come on with the ignition, and all the rest only come on when the light switch is turned on.

I have read many times about mods to disconnect the DRLs entirely, but haven't heard of this.

Is this something VW changed at some point during production, or a modification the previous owner did?

Thanks and Best wishes in the New Year!

Gavio

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI
The first VW DRL systems ran all the lights (including those on Golfs and Jetta's) but I think they made a switch sometime in 1996 to a reduced intensity low beam only DRL system. I've seen B4 Passats with both kinds.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I belive it has something to do with the headlight switch. If you still have one of your old B4's, check the part numbers on the HL switch to see if they are the same or different.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Was wondering about this myself since my new-to-me '96 Passat sedan has the same, all lights on with the ignition thing going on. Midyear change maybe?

gavio

Veteran Member
Thanks for the input, folks.

I was just checking in to see if this was normal. It sounds like this one was just built later than the previous two. I'm actually glad they changed it, 'cuz it's a bunch less bulbs to wear out.

Best wishes

Gavio