New Continental RNS-510 FW

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I'm beginning to wonder if my SW version is too old to update…I have a 2012 Passat TDI SEL, and the SW version is "3690". The delivery part number is: 3C8035684E

Any ideas?
It should definitely work. MattFrayage makes some good suggestions. Again, make sure you're in 24 hour mode as well (took me a long time to figure out that was causing my SWL error).

I would also try burning it again to another CD-R at a slower burn speed.

This thing is finicky, so don't be discouraged.
I had a thought about the slowness of the system...Any thoughts?
I've noticed on my recent 700mi trip to TN that the system becomes extremely snappy after a couple hours.

My guess is that the combination of an underpowered CPU and a spindle PATA hard drive (a technology replaced by SATA in 2003 :eek:) just leads to a very initial boot and load times.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
PATA or SATA on a single drive should not make much if any difference - the limiting factor is the mechanics, not the interconnect . . . .

- Tim

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
PATA or SATA on a single drive should not make much if any difference - the limiting factor is the mechanics, not the interconnect . . . .

- Tim
While you are correct that the mechanics are the current limiting factor, your statement that PATA vs SATA would not make a difference is wrong.

The drive is an IDE 4200RPM drive. It is slow! PATA fastest transfer speed is 133MBytes. SATA's slowest interface is 150Mbytes. Now yes we are limited by the drive speed itself. Most small 4200 RPM drives have a maximum rate of about 65Mbytes. That is less than the interface. So the theory is to use a PATA SSD to push the limit of the IDE interface. With an SSD the interface(PATA vs SATA) would then be the limiting factor.

I have an IDE SSD sitting waiting, but not sure I am going to make the switch. This firmware update has made enough difference for me, not sure I am willing to go through the headache to switch it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
I work for a major storage system mfg . . . and yes, there are slow disks and fast disks, but in most of the consumer grade stuff, SATA won't help much, at least not compared to some of the latter generation PATA stuff, again *FOR SINGLE SPINDLES*. If you want speed, ditch SATA and go to fibre channel or SAS . . .

And I didn't say a word about SSD - we are talking about disks here - you know, spinning media, which SSD clearly does *NOT* have?

And unless they did something amazingly different on this head, I would think that all operating code loads to RAM on boot, and the only thing read from disk once running is content, such as map data etc. *MAYBE* they load modules when changing modes, but changing an FM station for instance, I would be very surprised if the disk was accessed at all . . .

At any rate, I got all your images burned and verified, so just need to find time to give them a try on the car . . .

- Tim

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I work for a major storage system mfg . . . and yes, there are slow disks and fast disks, but in most of the consumer grade stuff, SATA won't help much, at least not compared to some of the latter generation PATA stuff, again *FOR SINGLE SPINDLES*. If you want speed, ditch SATA and go to fibre channel or SAS . . .

And I didn't say a word about SSD - we are talking about disks here - you know, spinning media, which SSD clearly does *NOT* have?

And unless they did something amazingly different on this head, I would think that all operating code loads to RAM on boot, and the only thing read from disk once running is content, such as map data etc. *MAYBE* they load modules when changing modes, but changing an FM station for instance, I would be very surprised if the disk was accessed at all . . .

At any rate, I got all your images burned and verified, so just need to find time to give them a try on the car . . .

- Tim
TomAto, Tomato, you said the interface would not make a difference on a single drive. A SSD is still a single drive, hence the name Solid State Drive. Your statement was wrong, sorry but it was. Really not trying to be argumentative, just get the correct info out there.

Even a 10K RPM spindle drive can exceed SATA 1 transfer speeds, and a 7200RPM pushes right at the limits of IDE/PATA depending on the drive.

I support/install Servers and Network gear for a living, so I do know what I am talking about. Not just some random Internet geek.

There are several forums where the RNS510 was dissected and people changed the drives to SSD's, and they saw an improvement, small but it was one.

You are correct that most of the improvement was in startup and when reading the HDD either for music or Map Data. The unit is also handicapped with a slow processor, and not much memory. I believe the newest Firmware does some cleanup on the code and streamlines some things, and mostly likely has better management of memory.

Glad you got the download, and hope it helps!

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Quick question on 4366 update

Just did the software update. Worked just like the instructions. I do notice an improvement in button functionality. I will tackle the Map update after I get a DVD-DL. Thanks again!
When you get the cd error message right up front did you hit the OK button?

My instructions say don't touch anything when this appears and nothing happens at least for 10 mins after it first appears? So I am unsure if I should hit OK.

Thanks

agmx

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium TDI w/DSG; 2002 F250 Lariat 7.3L PowerStroke; sold 2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 2
No, I did not hit anything. I just followed the instructions. But there was an update to the instructions posted in this thread. You do have to make sure that you set your clock to the 24 hour mode before you start. Otherwise the update won't work.

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Quick question on 4366 update

Just did the software update. Worked just like the instructions. I do notice an improvement in button functionality. I will tackle the Map update after I get a DVD-DL. Thanks again!
When you get the cd error message right up front did you hit the OK button?

My instructions say don't touch anything when this appears and nothing happens at least for 10 mins after it first appears? So I am unsure if I should hit OK.

Thanks

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
great..

No, I did not hit anything. I just followed the instructions. But there was an update to the instructions posted in this thread. You do have to make sure that you set your clock to the 24 hour mode before you start. Otherwise the update won't work.
I did see the note about the 24 hr clock and had not tried that since it was late last evening when I saw that. Will give another try today.

Thanks.

xdmod

Banned
TDI
2012 passat tdi
i didn't put my clock in 24hr mode and the update went fine, only did the firmware update though. you can't put your key in or start car, just start radio with the key near or in the cupholder.

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Follow-up

i didn't put my clock in 24hr mode and the update went fine, only did the firmware update though. you can't put your key in or start car, just start radio with the key near or in the cupholder.
Just so we are on the same page. Did you download from LokiWolf site? That is where I got mine and all went fine for the download and I even burned the disc extra slow to,avoid errors...second question do you see an OK button with the cd error message right after you inserted the disc? If you did or did not see one based on your earlier comment you did nothing.

I did not start the car but opened the door pushed the button to turn onthe radio and waited 5 mins or so for the complete strtup before I inserted the cd.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
It appears to be dependent on the version of the radio. Some versions, like mine and yours, 12 or 24 doesn't matter, but others set it to 24 and it works fine.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Just so we are on the same page. Did you download from LokiWolf site? That is where I got mine and all went fine for the download and I even burned the disc extra slow to,avoid errors...second question do you see an OK button with the cd error message right after you inserted the disc? If you did or did not see one based on your earlier comment you did nothing.

I did not start the car but opened the door pushed the button to turn onthe radio and waited 5 mins or so for the complete strtup before I inserted the cd.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Yes he got it from my site. Same files you are using. I am going to do some tweaking on the instructions tonight and include some of these tweaks and suggestions.

cjlangston

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Yes, and as TomB posted in the other thread, it doesn't actually list one for our cars...

actually, I think it does. Here's the compatability list:

CC 2009 - 2010
CC Lux Limited, Lux Plus, V6 Exec 4Motion 2011 - 2012
Eos 2009 - 2011
Golf 2010
GTI 2009 - 2010
Jetta 2009 - 2010
Passat 2009 - 2010
Tiguan 2009 - 2010
Tiguan SEL w/ Prem Nav, SEL4 w/ Prem Nav & Dynaudio 2011 - 2012
Passat 2.5 SEL, SEL Premium 2012 - 2013

edited to add: this is being billed as the "RNS 510 v.6M Navigation System Map Update"

Last edited:

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
No luck

I have followed all the details and suggestions to load the 4366 upgrade including putting the clock to 24 hours, and the instructions to a T and the software will not load past the error message related to the cd right after insertion. For those that have updated this firmware you never hit the ok buttin direclty below the cd error message which cam up right after insertation? Do you even have the ok button there?

I also reburned a new cd on my mac at slowest speed and all was ok and verified.

Thanks for any ideas.

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
One more question

How long after you see the cd error message did the next screen come up after it found the SWL file? 1,5, 10 mins?

Thanks

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
actually, I think it does. Here's the compatability list:

CC 2009 - 2010
CC Lux Limited, Lux Plus, V6 Exec 4Motion 2011 - 2012
Eos 2009 - 2011
Golf 2010
GTI 2009 - 2010
Jetta 2009 - 2010
Passat 2009 - 2010
Tiguan 2009 - 2010
Tiguan SEL w/ Prem Nav, SEL4 w/ Prem Nav & Dynaudio 2011 - 2012
Passat 2.5 SEL, SEL Premium 2012 - 2013

edited to add: this is being billed as the "RNS 510 v.6M Navigation System Map Update"
The 6M update is available from other sources...;)

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
How long after you see the cd error message did the next screen come up after it found the SWL file? 1,5, 10 mins?

Thanks
You do not need to hit anything. Maybe 1-2 minutes until you see the next screen. Did the VIM disc do the same thing? It should act the exact same way, with the same error, then continue.

If the VIM worked your radio is fine. Try re-downloading the Firmware, and reburn it. Make sure you are using a CDR not a CDRW. I have heard of people having issues with the CDRW's.

Good Luck!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Those of you waiting on links should have them in your inbox now.

I have 3 alternate links being spread for the MAP update, to decrease the bandwidth restriction.

Good luck!

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Thanks

You do not need to hit anything. Maybe 1-2 minutes until you see the next screen. Did the VIM disc do the same thing? It should act the exact same way, with the same error, then continue.

If the VIM worked your radio is fine. Try re-downloading the Firmware, and reburn it. Make sure you are using a CDR not a CDRW. I have heard of people having issues with the CDRW's.

Good Luck!
I have only tried the firmware no maps or the dvd player. I will download again and reburn. Yes, i am using a cd-r for the media.

Third times a charm as they say...

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, H03 hardware iirc. . . put the FW disk in, got the error message, about 1 min got the loading message, then a reboot (that felt like it took forever), got the screens to OK, did so, went away for about 40 mins, came back and complete. Didn't do anything with the clock, it just worked!

No time to play with it though, so can't comment of perf changes (yet).

- Tim

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Thanks

2013 Passat TDI, H03 hardware iirc. . . put the FW disk in, got the error message, about 1 min got the loading message, then a reboot (that felt like it took forever), got the screens to OK, did so, went away for about 40 mins, came back and complete. Didn't do anything with the clock, it just worked!

No time to play with it though, so can't comment of perf changes (yet).

- Tim
Thanks Tim, i am going start at the beginning with the download etc . And try again.

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Downloading map data now, but it is really slow--about 1.5mbps, even though I have a 20mbps connection.

UPDATE: Now download froze. Will try starting over.

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
I got it in 10 to 15 minutes two days or so ago . . . pretty late at night though . . .

- Tim

Last edited:

tn9design

TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I have followed all the details and suggestions to load the 4366 upgrade including putting the clock to 24 hours, and the instructions to a T and the software will not load past the error message related to the cd right after insertion. For those that have updated this firmware you never hit the ok buttin direclty below the cd error message which cam up right after insertation? Do you even have the ok button there?
I also reburned a new cd on my mac at slowest speed and all was ok and verified.
Thanks for any ideas.
What program are you using to burn the disc?

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Disc burn

What program are you using to burn the disc?
I am using the burn program from Apple that is on my iMac desktop....not a stand alone program. When I select the file I choose burn to disc (cd-r), select speed and let it go. After the burn it also does a verify and it accepts without errors. Are you suggesting I try another burn program and if so which one for a Mac.

Thanks,

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
I am using the burn program from Apple that is on my iMac desktop....not a stand alone program. When I select the file I choose burn to disc (cd-r), select speed and let it go. After the burn it also does a verify and it accepts without errors. Are you suggesting I try another burn program and if so which one for a Mac.

Thanks,
perhaps the mac program is being finicky? try using imgburn... it is the most reliable program i have used on Microsoft vista/xp/7 for modding the rns-510... that is if it even supports mac...:confused:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, there are two ways an iso file can get burned - as a single file sitting inside another iso filesystem, or as a disk image (which is what you want). If you put the disk you just burned back into your computer, what do you see? If just the one file, then the image was not correctly burned . . .

And I burned on Linux, so I don't think WhinDuhs has anything to do with this . . . images are images, so any burner should work *assuming* you have support for burning images. Likely the Mac just decided for you to do it wrong, since they are so dumbed down . . .

- Tim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.