New Clutch

Mezmar

TDI
2005 Jetta, 2010 Golf
2005 Jetta TDI has 130K miles on the clutch, and I'm thinking that when I change the timing belt, I I would go ahead and do the clutch as well. Is it recommended/necessary to change the flywheel, or can I just put in a new pressure plate, pilot bearing and disc? Any recommendations on where to get a kit? Thanks

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Is the clutch slipping or acting up? I wouldn't replace it unless something is wrong. It may be good for another 200k.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Yeah, mine lasted to about 300,000mi.
The timing belt is on the other end of the engine and not necessarily easier to do at the same time.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Unless you’re having problems, I’d let it go. As Eddie points out timing belt and clutch are at opposite ends.

Mezmar

TDI
2005 Jetta, 2010 Golf
Thanks for your advice regarding the clutch. It isn't slipping, and the point made about the clutch and timing belt being on opposite sides of the engine is well made. "If it aint broke, don't fix it." We'll just do the timing belt and hopefully the clutch will go for as long as the ones mentioned.

I am still curious, though--when the clutch is replaced, is a new flywheel recommended?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
By the time the OE clutch fails the dual mass flywheel is near or at the end of its service life, so you should replace it. You may want to switch to a single mass flywheel and clutch, or there's a good dual mass kit available that's inexpensive.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Depends on the condition of the flywheel. If it's not burnt badly it can be turnd down my your local machine shop. Typically if your diy a clutch job it's so cheep to just replace it that it ends up just that, being replaced. The work to change it down the road is not worth the hassle so..... typically you can get a very long life put of the clutch if you remain stock on engine performance. Start adding power and well......

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Not easy to find a shop that can correctly machine a DMF. And even if you did, after a couple hundred thousand miles the springs in the flywheel are shot.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
I did the timing belt and clutch/flywheel 'together' two years ago. Doing them 'together' just meant one after the other. The only thing that carried over was the engine support brace got to stay in place. Oh, and I only had to lift it up onto stands once, instead of twice. :)

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The VAST majority of BEW or BRMs (OP did not say which) will have a DMF failure LONG before the friction material on the clutch is actually "worn out".

Next thing would be the release lever wearing through.

If there is no noise, or vibrations, or shuddering upon engagement, I'd leave it be.

FWIW, I am still trying to truly wear a clutch out... in any car I have ever owned. So far I have been unsuccessful, although my '91 Jetta's was disengaging at the very, very top of the pedal travel after 400k miles. :p

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My son's '02 Golf got a new clutch at 330K. The flywheel was loose, but not dead. And the clutch disc was down to the rivets. Pretty much done. But that's pretty good service life.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, if I were doing a clutch I'd replace everything inside. Might even have a rear main seal on hand. Yours should be good for a long long time.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
When I do things this deep I try and do everything in there while it is open. I don't want to go in there again for some small little item that now needs replacing after a short while. Unless you just like doing this kind of thing.