NEW! Cat Filter Install Instructions PDF and Video

Light

Cat Filter Installation Instructions

Glad to see you guys finally got the bugs worked out.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Just received a replacement filter to have on hand for the CAT.

Nice touch, Greg, taping new O-rings to the top of the box. This takes customer service to a new level! /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver

Just an update on my situation.

I replaced the CAT filter with a stock (actually NAPA), and just tonite had the noise again. With the stock filter, the post-shutdown air bubble was the same size, and the dribble of tiny bubbles while running looked the same. Tonite, it actually made the noise at idle, and I saw no difference with the bubbles this time, either.

My problem, again, was that I was getting a noise that increased with the RPMs, and usually started just over 2000 RPMs. However, it seemed to only happen when the fuel was cooler than say 70 F. In other words, it would usually go away after driving for 20 minutes or so. Tonite when I listened under the hood while it idled, it seemed like the noise was from the general timing belt area, but I'm not an expert on exactly where that is vs the pump, turbo, etc.

I opened another thread on this.

1. Would rubber gaskets, instead of copper, work? I ask partly because it seems like they'd seal better, but also because one of the coppers dropped into parts unknown when I was swapping filters.

So I'll tentatively say that my problems with the CAT filter are solved - I still don't know how some folks get no bubbles whatsoever, but I'm satisfied that it's the same with the stock. Now hopefully I'll get this other problem solved, whatever it is.

Once I'm done with the repair shop, if that's necessary, I can get my Golf back to drinking crisp, clean 2µ-filtrated diesel.

Grady

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta

Try one of those oil pan drain plug sealing washers. They look like they might be sized close enough to work.

dieseltwo

Veteran Member

Fuel should only flow one way in the line to the filter,there should be a chexk valve in the line to do this.Reason,is to stop fuel from flowing back to tank, stock filter has no chexk valve so it is in the tank. Racor filters have a chexk valve built in them. My old 1990 vw diesel you could not blow into the line only draw fuel from it. NO CHEXK VALVE SOMEWHERE IN THE FUEL SUPPLY THEN WILL ACT LIKE IT RAN OUT OF FUEL, REAL PAIN. If chexk not holding then fuel run back to tank slowly. ALSO if fuel return line to tank is blocked then diesel will not run, will kept stalling like its running out of fuel but tank is full.

dieseltwo

Veteran Member

INSTALLED CAT FILTER. 2001 JETTA USED A BALWIN FILTER MOUNT,DRILLED AND TAPED TWO NUMBER 10 ORB PLUG FITTINS TO TAKE 1/8 NPT.INSTALLED TWO 1/8 NPT TO 5/16 HOSE BARBS. INSTALLED POST SEAL O RING,REMOVED STOCK FILTER AND INSTALLED CAT.REMOVED FUEL RETURN TEE, AND INSTALLED 5/16 HOSE BARB TO JOIN RETURN LINE BACK TOGETHER.LATER WILL INSTALL FUEL RETURN TEE SO FUEL RETURNS TO THE FUEL SUPPLY LINE BY CUTTING INTO THE FUEL LINE JUST BEFORE THE FILTER. WILL CUT THE THE LINE AND SHORTEN IT SOME TO INSTALL A BRASS TEE AND TAKE THE ALMOST KINK OUT OF THE FUEL LINE P LIKE TRAP THAT IS JUST BEFORE THE STOCK FILTER INLET. THE BRASS TEE WILL HAVE 3 FITTINGS, 2 FOR FUEL OF COURSE TO THE FILTER, THE 3RD ONE FOR WARM RETURN FUEL. SHOULD WORK, STOCK WAY RETURNED FUEL TO CLEAN SIDE OF THE FILTER. SO WILL MY WAY.WILL EVEN PUT IN SHUT OFF VALVE, DO NOT NEED HOT FUEL IN, AT HOTTER TIMES UP HERE IN THE GREAT WHITE NORTH.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

[ QUOTE ]
dieseltwo said:
SHOULD WORK, STOCK WAY RETURNED FUEL TO CLEAN SIDE OF THE FILTER.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it doesn't.

And there was no need to shout. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

dieseltwo

Veteran Member

CAT FILTER.2001 JETTA. IN MY POST I SAID BACK TO THE CLEAN SIDE OF THE FILTER. SHOULD HAVE SAID DIRTY SIDE. WHICH THE TEE RETURNS THE FUEL TO. SORRY. HAVE AGREAT WEEKEND ALL.

dieseltwo

Veteran Member

well I was sent a message that caps mean that you are yelling,really, you are kidding? no,ok. sorry,the wonders of the world eh. did not mean to hurt anyones feeling eh, so i guess i will not use any caps. i am new to the system. sent my 1st message oct 03-03. first time on the web to send or talk with any one,period. always reading only. have been ready the tdi club for a long time now and finely got into the sytem. i was using caps because i find easy to read. have a good day eh.

OffTheFence

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red

diesltwo:

Welcome to the world of Internet posting!

Yes, all caps has traditionally been considered "shouting." Long stretches of upper case writing, as well as lower case writing for that matter, are just more difficult to read in general. Our eyes and mind react to the visual peaks and valleys of capitalized and non-capitalized writing, in their proper places. The absence of any caps, the presence of all caps, or a random assortment of upper and lower case letters incorrectly placed can make for reading that just isn't the smoothest. Years ago in college I saw this illustrated in a variety of ways in a cleverly-named publication called UNLC (Upper 'n' Lower Case), which may have been a trade paper or something. But I remembered it.

At any rate, tips offered here on Fred's are almost always done in the best spirit. Enjoy.

Anthony

dieseltwo

Veteran Member

To Anthony: Thanks for the message about the caps. I should have read the rules when I first signed in the other day, which has it in. I just read it now before coming on line. I think it is a pain, caps on and off all the time, for I do not type very fast. Also was just being lazy too. Oh well, so be it. I guess their is a wright way and a wrong way to do it,so be it. Have a good day. Greg.S.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)

An update from me - after a whole weekend of sitting I had a smaller than OEM size air bubble in the fuel line - about 1 cm long - certainly within the right size range of what can be expected! Thanks Greg! Again!!!

dieseltwo

Veteran Member

To Greg[LanduytG] Not sure where to post this, so I posted it here because I know that [you] Greg got the Cat filter thread going and surely reads this often, I hope. Greg you sell Evans Coolant, do you use it in any of your cars [Your TDI] or trucks. I would like to use it in my 2001 Jetta TDI, will it work ok? Is there any do's or do not's I should be on the look out for. Reading their web and or your's on it, the coolant sounds great like Dino oil to Syn., oil for example. Coolant that is now used in our cars and others etc is so out dated that I want to use the best and Evans sounds[reads] to be the one. THANK-YOU [ Greg.S-Dieseltwo.Bradford.Ont.,Can.]

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel

Greg
Yes I use it in my 6.5TD and the TDI. Its a life time coolant so no messing around with it every couple of years. You need to flush all the old out of the motor. On the TDI unplug all hose and flush everything separate (oil coller, rad, heater core, egr cooler etc.) Once you have that done blow out as much of the water as possible. Fill with Evans, now it the hard part for the TDI. You leave the cap off the tank unplug the fans and drive it so you can get to 220-230*. This will boil out any water that is in the system. When you quit adding the Evans you know that the water is gone. I run a pressureless system which all I did was drill a 1/16" hole in the cap. I just sent two gallon to a guy in Texas for his TDI.

Greg

TDI Nut

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 99 Beetle

What advantages are there for a "pressureless system" Greg?

[ QUOTE ]
LanduytG said:
Greg
Yes I use it in my 6.5TD and the TDI. Its a life time coolant so no messing around with it every couple of years. You need to flush all the old out of the motor. On the TDI unplug all hose and flush everything separate (oil coller, rad, heater core, egr cooler etc.) Once you have that done blow out as much of the water as possible. Fill with Evans, now it the hard part for the TDI. You leave the cap off the tank unplug the fans and drive it so you can get to 220-230*. This will boil out any water that is in the system. When you quit adding the Evans you know that the water is gone. I run a pressureless system which all I did was drill a 1/16" hole in the cap. I just sent two gallon to a guy in Texas for his TDI.

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

dieseltwo

Veteran Member

To: Greg[LanduytG] Thank you for getting back so soon about the Evans, Have a good day [Dieseltwo.Bradford,Ont.,Greg.S]

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

TDI Nut

Pressureless system is better because you have less ware and tear on the hoses, water pump and head gasket.

Powerstroke
Big advantage to the Cat filter is its 2 micron so you will have better fuel quality going to the pump and injectors, and filter replacement cost is $11-$15.

Greg

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black

Hi greg just emailed you for the o rings thanks to you and who ever else for the work. I got the kit about 2 monthes ago but had life (well sub cat quality life anyway) left in my OEM filter so sheleved the kit....I'm nearly ready to get the cat in..Cheers
Rob M Concord, MA

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI

I have two pieces of good news to report: <ul type="square"> [*]My "clacking" noise has been diagnosed as not relating to the filter or fuel injector pump, but the AC compressor.

[*]The CAT filter adapter plate is dishwasher safe!

After I took it out to further diagnose the problem, I needed a good place to store it. Upright, so the fuel wouldn't spill out. What better place than a dishwasher rack? Unfortunately, forgot it was in there when I ran it. Nice and clean. Although the "Tee" hole was plugged with a plastic bag, it still stunk up all the dishes, and even running the load again without the CAT didn't get rid of the odor. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif [/list]

dieseltwo

Veteran Member

Just thought you might all want to know that when changing the stock fuel filter, that VW says that the 'T' should also be changed. This is old news to you all I would think. Like every 40,000 km. So might be a good idea even when using the Cat filter.[Dieseltwo_Ont.,Can.]

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Just a point of interest to y'all.

I have the O rings Greg sent me, but have not installed them yet.

I have started to run the block heater on the A3. NOW, I have the cranking problem and dry fuel line. Does not occur unless the block heater has been on.

If you have not installed your O rings on the center spindle yet, do it before running the heater for winter.

Off to the driveway I go......

golfdiesel

TDI
Golf, 2000, Green

I received and installed the o-rings from Greg about six weeks ago. When I reassembled everything I found much more bubbles in the clear line when it is running. There is now a steady stream of them, the engine seems louder especially when cold, and my mileage has been affected. In fact I can see black smoke out the back even in daylight which I could not before.

Could this increase in air affect the quantity adjuster in the third injector making the ECU think it needs more fuel and is this air damaging my pump.

Maybe due to machining tolerances in my particular setup, do I need a smaller/larger o-ring in the centre?

I did not have any of this before and only had the dry line in the morning.

Any suggestions would help. I want to solve this before winter arrives.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

The o-ring did not cause it. You don't have something tight. Did you remove the banjo fittings? If so make double sure those are tight. Also very important thing is to make sur eyou have the filter tight. Once it makes contact with the head go one more turn. That is on the instructions of the filter. If it is hand tight its not good enough.

Greg

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

Well I now have 7000 miles on the Cat filter system and have had no problems. Love the idea of changing a fuel filter every 30K or 40K. /images/graemlins/grin.gif But will probably do on a time format like once a year.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!

Greg, thanks for the quick turn around. Nice unit and I hope to get it swapped out this weekend. It has been nice reading through the evolution of this mod and now with one in hand and the totally awesome feedback this should be a real engine life extender. You should consider having some of these on hand for the future! Highly recommended, both your service and the products! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

golfdiesel

TDI
Golf, 2000, Green

I have followed all the instructions from the beginning and did not have any trouble except the dry line in the morning. I did not have this steady stream of bubbles before until I installed the o-ring. I have taken it apart twice now and re-tightened everything as much as I can and I still have this steady stream of bubbles. If the air leak it is the filter to the adapter should I put some teflon tape on the inner thread and vasoline on the rubber seal of the filter to get a better seal when tightened. I'm afraid that if this continues into the winter I am causing more and more damage to the pump and I will have to remove the whole thing and put back the old filter which I do not want to do.

I have tried everything I can think of to fix this but I still can not get rid of these bubbles.

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI

I was very attentive to this problem when I installed mine. The bubbles made me paranoid that something was wrong.

Then, I had to take it in to the dealer for a possible problem under warranty, so I replaced the original filter. Exactly the same amount of bubbles. So a certain quantity of bubbles is normal.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

I have next to nothing for bubbles. As long as its running fine and you don't have a dry line in the morning things are good.
Greg

Taquin

Just installed my CAT filter and I have to say that this thing looks awesome. Anyone think they can go an extra 25 miles from a tank of fuel with the size of this thing?? (joking)
I wanted to leave a suggestion on the material used on protecting the ac line. I found some Dynamat laying around and used it on the ac line and the fender wall. Worked great since it has a sticky back and is really durable.
Thanks to everyone who started and saw this project through.
Chris