NEW! Cat Filter Install Instructions PDF and Video

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
Cat Filter Installation Instructions

The fix is here thanks to a member that emailed me after doing this him self.

The dirty side of the filter has and air pocket in it all the time. If you want to know why you can go here to see why.

Well when you shut down the motor the air leaks into the clean side via the threads around the nipple. Remember nature hates a vacuum so if their is a leak a vacuum will find it. As the air bleeds into the clean side it allows the fuel to siphon back to the tank and you then end up with a dry fuel supply line.

So the fix is to add and o-ring to the nipple and that goes between the filter and filter head. Now when the filter is tightened up to the one turn or more after contact with the head it will also press on the o-ring thats around the nipple. The o-ring takes up the gap between the filter head and the filter plate itself and seals that area so air cannot bleed through the threads.

I have done this to two of my TDI's today and the line has been all day. I will check again in the morning but I am confident it will be fine.

I have ordered plenty of these o-rings and if people will email me there name and address I will send them a couple and I pay the postage.

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Lightman

Veteran Member

best of luck greg.

Paramedic, no I dont forget that there are some running around with no probs. You're asserting that the air bubble problem is only with a small few and thats silly...

Lightman

Veteran Member

[ QUOTE ]
sassyrel said:
because all the ones with problems have emailed and told him so---

[/ QUOTE ]

Greg, just from the posts on this thread. I've not been harping on the setup, just saying there a number of ppl with this problem. If there weren't you wouldn't be addressing it quite so attentively.

(inappropriate text deleted) /images/graemlins/mad.gif

sassyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
passat,96,black-metalic

i have gregs setup--ask him if i bought one--and ive accused him of nothing---if you bought one-------

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Dave
You still have not learned much about me I guess. I address every problem no matter how big or small. Know matter if it is for one customer or a 100. Doing that is what gets you business and more important repeat business. I will sometimes even loss money on a sale just to satisfy the customer when I could say the he!! with it. The Espar heater is a good example, I have sent the customer a new heater when they have had a problem with the one they bought just so they don't have to deal with it. I would not have to do that but its better for all when I do. I will then fix it and sell it as a used heater. Customer service is what it all about. I answer countless emails every day and spend time answering question when I know good and well they are not going to buy a thing. So don't tell me I have a big problem just because I am addressing this in the matter it should be. Of course I am sure that you wouldn't be trying to yank my chain would you Dave? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Greg

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White

Great catch Greg. Is there enough clearance between the o-ring and the top of the filter when tightened down? The o-ring won't get crushed or pinched?

Greg I appreciate your effort on this, these are the growing pains of perfecting a good product. I'm going to keep my setup modified without the tee. The plug works good and you need a way to fill the filter anyway.

Denis

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Denis
The o-ring cross section is .095 and works great. If you use the next one up a .125 is way to thick. The next one down the .063 might be OK but not sure.

Greg

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT

Greg-this makes sense to me-hopefully this IS the answer. It is one of those things that is "why didn't I think of that" that seems pretty obvious-AFTER someone brings it up. After all MOST filters have one or more o-rings-look at the OEM oil filter and the Oilguard bypass filter etc.

What about a small bead of "JB-weld" where the o-ring would be (or more red Loctite in that area) to seal it up more permanently??? I don't know if the JB-Weld is resistant to degradation by diesel fuel-but if it isn't I would think that SOMETHING would be. Since MOST people aren't having this problem-I would just suspect that the red-Loctite that Greg used "sealed-up" competely in those cases (enough to be airtight). Couldn't the few of us with this problem just add a little more of it where the o-ring would be??? I am NOT at all saying that the o-ring isn't an excellent idea-just looking for a more permanent one perhaps.......

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Its not where the Loctite is that its leak. Its the threads between the nipple and the filter threads itself. If you put Loctite there you won't get the filter off.

Greg

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Just got back in from checking both cars. Neither has any air at all, not even a tiny bubble. The lines are FULL.

Greg

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver

Sounds good so far. I've been sitting on the sidelines, mainly because it is another 10000 until I need to change the fuel filter. I would like to thank Greg for all of his work, if indeed he's solved it. I'm looking forward to installing this...

Jason

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(

I just did this fix. I'll see in the am if it works.

Greg, what's the size of the oem o-rings on the Tee? Also, what size o-ring are you selling for the Tee? I have an assortment of them in my garage (they are all marked with the size of each) and I just want to have the Tee fit more snug even if it's not the problem.

Thanks! And I can't wait until the am even if it means another day at work /images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI

Great news--it works. Great job on keeping on top of this prob, Greg

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver

For those who don't want to wait for the mail, I checked in my Harbor Freight O-Ring set (about $7 for the next couple weeks), and the R-14 (don't quote me on that) is 15/16" O.D., 7/8" I.D., and 3/32 (.094)" section width.

[Note: use the R-18 size. See below]

I was going to try it out on mine last night, but the adapter plate was too tight to unscrew with strap wrenches. I'll probably need to get a big-ass ChannelLock.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI

dqa is correct--that's the right one.

dqz, Use a 19mm socket on one of the banjo nuts w/ a ratchet, remove the 2 lines closest to the tank and then use the strap wrench. This way, you can remove the head w/o taking the entire unit apart. BUT, it's a pain in the arse because the filter can only be rotated about 1/4 turn at a time and takes forever.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Glad to hear that it worked for you too. Day number 3 I think it is and still full. I prefer the 15/16's ID. by .090 myself but if the 7/8 works then use it. Should have the new o-rings on the brown truck today.

Greg

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI

Dang, I was wrong. The o-ring I used is the R-18. This is the one Greg is talking about.

biobill

TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 93 Cabriolet

I just wanted to let people know that mine is working fine /images/graemlins/smile.gif without the o-ring once I got the in and out lines straightened out /images/graemlins/eek.gif. Waiting to see how long it takes for the gunk the biodiesel is sure to clean out of my tank to clog the filter. Cheers!

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

O-rings are in today so they will be going out tomorrow to those how sent me and email with their address.

Greg

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Another good morning without air. The o-rings will go out today to all those that emailed me their address. Included are 2 large so you will have one spare and 2 small for the tee. I sent the ones along for the tee since I have a bag full.

Greg

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Well I have to say the air leak problem is offically solved. 6 days without any air at all. I have a few more o-rings to send out on Monday so if you bought the system and need the o-rings please email me your address. If I could figure out how to use my book keeping program I would know everyone that bought one. May be a need to spend less time with other things and more time on the program /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greg

TDI Nut

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 99 Beetle

Unless I am blind or something, I cant see anywhere in this tread that lists the price for this kit. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

How much is it and what does it include?