NEW! Cat Filter Install Instructions PDF and Video

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta
Cat Filter Installation Instructions

Well I tightened up the filter to the head and also the banjo fittings. I'm not quite sure that was the issue, I guess I will know in the morning. If the line is dry then I would bet money that its the tee. I really dont want to go through the hassle of pulling that SOB back out let alone taping the tee hole to install a plug.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel

The nipple has #262 Red Loctite on it. I will not come out plus it helps seal the threads.

Greg

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta

Well I checked it this morning and guess what.... /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Greg am I fighting a lost cause here?

JOE OLEARY

Veteran Member

Whats all this smack you guys are saying about adding fuel lines to make a FM100 work. Mine is mounted in the stock bracket.Factory fuel lines and all.
I have seen a Cat set-up,it's nice but i am not going to switch.
Joe

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver

Joe, thanks for the clarification.

If someone wants to argue Joe's statement, or further discuss the FM 100, can you please put it in a thread that has to do with that filter, and keep this thread to the subject at hand? Sheesh. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Dierre's TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2k1 Jetta (RIP), 2k3 Jetta, 2010 JSW

Okay my car sat (31jul-19aug) with the CAT filter and dry "clear" fuel line. Started right up the first time (20aug). Also drove fm San Diego to Everett, Wa with no problems. My questions is by having this dry fuel line is this going to cause damage to our cars? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta

Dierre the only thing I can see the dry fuel line affecting is the pump, which if you ask me isnt a good thing. There are a number of us having the same issue and are trying to sort it out /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

IMHO as lomg as the car starts without any delay then a dry line does not matter. As soon as the motor starts you have fuel running through it. I am back from my holiday on Tues. and will be working on it again to get it figured out.

Greg

golfdiesel

TDI
Golf, 2000, Green

I am at the same end as lumberjackbob. Yesterday I installed a new thermo tee, tightened the filter as much as humanly possible with two strap wrenches, and the banjo bolts as well but this morning I still have the dry line. Most of the time I start up OK with a dry line but there have been a few times where it takes some cranking before it starts and some where it starts but is rough running. I still firmly believe in Greg's product and I know he will find the solution.

Dierre's TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2k1 Jetta (RIP), 2k3 Jetta, 2010 JSW

Old Navy,

My only consern is the dry fuel line. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT

"I think this picture illustrates the problem with the thermo valve. As you can see the valve being mounted in the bracket, doesn't give much insertion into the hole. At least not as much as it had in the OEM setup."

I am wondering if Denis hit the nail on the head. I have ordered a new TEE-but haven't installed it yet. I think I'll try a new TEE in the bracket-(along with tightening down the banjo bolts AND the filter-although they are already pretty tight). If that doesn't solve it perhaps the bracket should be modified. My line is ALWAYS dry after it sits for 4-5 hrs or more-but most of the time it still cranks right up. However about once a week or so-after sitting overnight-you have to crank for a LONG time-and THAT is a problem. I am not as concerned about the dry lines (although I would prefer that they NOT be that way-because OEM isn't that way) as I am the LONG cranking.....still a nice setup-but we need to get this fixed IMHO...................

However about once a week or so-after sitting overnight-you have to crank for a LONG time-and THAT is a problem.

Lightman

Veteran Member

[ QUOTE ]
Old Navy said:
Age and treachery will always over come youth and vigor.

[/ QUOTE ] LMAO. Old people rock old navy! /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif surprised you haven't moved down here, we have plenty...

Hope you guys figure this one out. Air in the fuel lines is no good.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(

I installed one of mine a month and a half ago and everything seemed fine. After I installed it, I drove for ~100 miles and then the car sat for about 4 weeks. It started right up after that. But I was curious to see if I had the same problem you guys mention. So I had my wife start it while I checked the line. I assumed fuel was flowing after she started it but it actually took about 4 seconds before the fuel flowed /images/graemlins/shocked.gif! The line was completely dry.

I'll install my other one when there is a fix.

Maybe the fix will be easy. Maybe as simple as adding bigger o-rings to the T? Perhaps it's the design of the nipples on the banjo fittings where the fuel lines attach?

Lightman

Veteran Member

Are you guys sure the problem lies in the T? Has anyone bypassed the T? When I ran my fm100 standalone like Joe does, I ran without the T with no probs...

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

The o-rings are not the problem it is the tee itself. But I will be bypassing the Tee tomorrow and see what happens. Don't need the damm tee anyway. At first I was not going to make it with the tee but some were so insistant that it had to be there I did it anyway.

Greg

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

Lightman as a general rule I don't hang with the fuddy duddys, I like the 30-40 age group mostly. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif As for as FL goes, I don't like the lay of the land, and your bugs and 'gators are too much. /images/graemlins/eek.gif

I am planning on moving to NM in a couple of years. The weather is great, no relatives live near, so what more could a man want? I know, I know, all the Euro TDI engines and better fuel. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Lightman

Veteran Member

There was some talk a while back, and boundless posted a few diagrams of the fuel system. He believes the T valve also serves as a pressure relieving check valve to the system. Some argue it's necessary, but I ran for a long time with just the fm100 and no T. I can't really speculate on how much the T helps in cold weather, but I doubt much..

Well dont want to get too far off topic, but sounds good Oldnavy. The humidity isn't great. The bugs aren't a problem at all though....well maybe for the ladies /images/graemlins/wink.gif Gators dont bother anyone, unless you're referring to those dastardly UF gators! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Well I have had a few email with a fellow member that has been working on the problem. Seems what he has done is working and I will be giving it a try tomorrow. What he has done is simple cost about 20 cents and I should have thought about it before. Will keep you all posted as to the results. It is not tee related nor banjo fitting related. Thats all for now.

Dave
The only thing you might need the tee for is heat in the winter. But bkmetz ran all last winter without it and never had a problem. As for FL you can have. I was St Pete 3 or 4 years ago with the kids for spring break. I didn't lose anything there so I have no reason to go back /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greg

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta

[ QUOTE ]
Well I have had a few email with a fellow member that has been working on the problem. Seems what he has done is working and I will be giving it a try tomorrow. What he has done is simple cost about 20 cents and I should have thought about it before. Will keep you all posted as to the results. It is not tee related nor banjo fitting related. Thats all for now.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Lightman

Veteran Member

[ QUOTE ]
LanduytG said:
Dave
The only thing you might need the tee for is heat in the winter. But bkmetz ran all last winter without it and never had a problem. As for FL you can have. I was St Pete 3 or 4 years ago with the kids for spring break. I didn't lose anything there so I have no reason to go back /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol greg, come on now lets not exaggerate. Greenfield vs St. Pete? Granted st pete is a bunch of older folks and not that exciting, how many white sand beaches does greenfield have? I prefer sarasota over st pete personally. Florida is an interesting character. The west coast is so different from east.. Oh well sorry you didn't like it...and we have no winter here, only HOT, and HOT as crap! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT

Well-I put in a brand new TEE yesterday-AND I replaced the OEM hoseclamps with REAL hoseclamps (going to both sides of the TEE) and the line is DRY just like before. This leads me to believe that its NOT the TEE UNLESS it has to do with the bracket that holds the TEE (which slides partially UNDER the TEE pushing it UP slightly). Perhaps we need to MODIFY that bracket???

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White

Since removal of the tee I haven't had any problems. The plug seems to work fine.

Denis

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White

For those that are familiar with lockwire, you could take the backet off and lockwire the tee to the filter head assembly using the two screws that are there for the bracket. That way the tee would have full insertion into its hole. That's something I should have tried before I installed the plug.

Denis

Longreach

Just installed the CAT on my 03 golf about a week and a
half ago.....dry line from the start. Tossed the supplied bracket... substituted steel plate across T and screwed directly into supplied filter head...its tight and inserted fully. ...still a dry line.
New T coming from VW to eliminate possibly of defective T
(improbable because my OEM filter doesnt have this prob. and the car is an 03)
I am going to do a final and complete re-install when the new T gets here from VW. Including the heftier o rings from Greg.
I'm chewing on the prospect that the supplied filter head is thicker than the OEM and that this thickness may somehow separate the T bottom from fuel and may allow a siphon or space for outgassing of the fuel thereby "drying" out the line. Just a thought.
If this theory is correct then there is no "leak".Comments Greg or anyone?
If my re-install fails then I am going to tap the head and plug or see if a CAT filter head will clear the hood.
Any and all responses appreciated.

Lightman

Veteran Member

No offense, but it doesn't sound like this was well tested(you buttheads) /images/graemlins/wink.gif. I remember prototypes being tested, but what about the machined final products? Something may have been screwed up or different in the machining, etc.

Are the folks who plugged the T and bypassed it still having dry lines?

Lightman

Veteran Member

Lets not forget jeff king's tdi has 220K+ miles now? With what? Oh, the factory filter. I think this was a good idea, but gosh what a hassle so far. Hopefully you guys have the patience to try to get this thing working, I know I would have scrapped the POS by now.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Lightman, what you forget is that there are a number of these units being used right now, with absolutely no problem whatsoever! I have one of them on an A3.

I think that the final answer will probably be something simple, and Greg will promptly let us know the answer.

As soon as I am sure of this, a CAT filter will be ordered for the new 03 Golf.