NEW! Cat Filter Install Instructions PDF and Video

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
Cat Filter Installation Instructions

Walt
This is not a banjo issue now, it is something with the tee itself. Stupid tee does not need to be in there at all and mine like Denis is soon to be gone. Funny because only a handful have this problem. Mine stayed full every since I put he proto type on in early April, but now its a problem.

Greg

Greg

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

I think you may be having some variation in T port dimensions on the heads. All it would take is a couple thou to big and you have a leak. You might have it checked by someone (if proper measurement tools not available in your garage) against your prototype.

Now we know why the R&D boys get the big bucks, and why something new is so expensive.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Its not the head or the o-rings, its the tee itself that is the problem.

Greg

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta

If possible some pictures would be nice of the resolved issue /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lightman

Veteran Member

[ QUOTE ]
lumberjackbob said:
If possible some pictures would be nice of the resolved issue /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lumberjack, here you go.

Ha, couldn't resist. 30k miles now with no probs.

morty

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf Silver

I got this issue resolved.

I seem to always change several variables at once, so I never quite know which one solved the problem, but here it goes:

1) Greg is absolutely right in that air bubbles while running has nothing to do with the tee. It can either be the banjo fittings or the filter itself. (Right?)

2) I received and installed a new tee last night; noticed the old one worked fine, no leakage.

3) This leads me to believe that I had a loose filter (I thought it came pre-tightened) and possible loose banjos.

4) I discovered an easy method for tightening the filter: I tried the hard way first, but when I came to the banjo bolts it dawned on me! While leaving the filter in place, I wrapped a Craftsman rubber band wrench around the bottom part of the filter and used a 3/8" drive, long handle with a 19mm to tighten the banjos. At first I didn't mark the filter, but it definitely moved about 1". (at least) I marked the top and filter and proceeded to tighten the filter about 1 more inch. Both banjo are very tight. This method should work for loosening as well, or Metalnerd could come up with a tool for just this purpose, holding both banjos at one time, with a long handle for leverage.

That fixed it. Would you believe that I had NO AIR at all in the line this am and it fired right up!!

\

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

Glad to see you fixed the problem Morty. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

As for the tool you spoke of I had just asked my machinist buddy yesterday about making one for us Cat filter users. I guess great minds run on same track. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta

[ QUOTE ]
Ha, couldn't resist. 30k miles now with no probs.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

30K no problems except the fuel is not being filtered very well at all. /images/graemlins/grin.gif i couldn't resist that.

Greg

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White

I'll have some pictures of the themostatic valve removal mod by Friday, I'll be doing it tomorrow. I've got all I need except the o-ring boss plug.

Denis

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

I went to my local John Deere dealer and got the plug. All I need now is the 9/16-18 tap. That could be hard to find in this town.

Greg

Kennedy

Veteran Member

[ QUOTE ]
dqa said:
[ QUOTE ]
Kennedy said:
4) And my nitpick issue. Instead of making contact with the AC line, my filter hits the fenderwell next to the black grommet. If you push it in too far, it'll rub metal to metal, not good.
I solved the problem by heading up to ACE hardware... Get a big (1.5 inch) ribbed rubber gasket in the plumbing aisle. Glue it to the fenderwell with some clear RTV where the fiter makes contact. Insert filter and push it into the bracket until it's snug against the rubber grommet, no rub and extra security.

[/ QUOTE ]I didn't find any gaskets that I would call ribbed. Can you give a little more detail on this? What direction do the ribs run - radially, or circular? What is the ribs' purpose - to better stick to the silicone? And is this a big wide gasket with a tiny hole in the center?

[/ QUOTE ]

DQA,
Ribbed is probably a bad descrition. It's a sealing washer that goes in some piece of plumbing... Picked it up at ACE hardware. It's about 3.5 inches outer diameter with a 2 inch hole in the middle. The washer is about 1/4 think that is tapered, hence it's ribbed.
Not saying this is the best solution, just use your best judgement to find something to absorb the vibration and prevent metal to metal contact...

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

Well Lightman this is an excellent mod and does not require additional fuel lines strung over the engine compartment and shoved juryrigged in some odd-ball place. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Having installed two of these Cat filters in cars (Jetta & NB) It appears that only a few have had trouble, including me with my first install on the NB, and none on the Jetta. My problem was not enough torque on the banjo fittings. I did one thing different, I bent the holder for the T fitting up some so as to be able to be able to slide the T under thefitting without having to pry on the T.

I had noticed that the T fitting in the fuel filters on the OEM filters were loose enough that you could turn them a little. That's the way I did my T's on the Cat's. I looked at them and decided I didn't want to be prying on light duty plastic valve.

I still say this is on of the MOST IMPORTANT MODS you can do for these cars. The others being CCV filter and EGR calibration.

Edited for short statement: Thanks Greg for your time and work on this project

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White

Pulled the filter assembly today and tapped the thermo valve hole and fitted it with a plug. here are some pictures of it.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/7938Final_Filter2-med.jpg

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/7938Tools-med.jpg

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/7938Filter_Head-med.jpg

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/7938Fianl_Filter3-med.jpg

The tapping of the valve's hole was real easy, almost too easy. Using the Uni-bit to chamfer the hole can be a PIA when done by hand, better to be done with a drill press to get it exact. Didn't have a double barb fitting so I used 3/8 stainless tubing. I'll have to look for a barbed fitting later.

The foam backed tape I put on the A/C line was already worn through, need something more substantial.

Denis

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta

Maybe if the 2 inner pieces of the tee holder were to be cut off so the tee wouldnt be resting directly on the filter head?

Great job on the pics Denis, what are the specs/sizes of the tools you used? Did you use any sort of gasket on the hole plug? I might resort ot this if trying to get the tee farther into the hole doesnt work.

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White

The tap size is 9/16-18 UNF. The AN-6 o-ring boss plug has an o-ring for a seal. The Uni-bit is for a 1/2" drill chuck. The 3/8" tubing is only temporary, I need to find a double-end barb fitting.

With the AN-6 fitting you don't need to drill the hole prior to tapping, the hole is the proper size for that tap, at least on mine it was. This plug is a straight thread plug, not tapered.

The reason for the Uni_bit was to chamfer the hole to accept the o-ring. Without the chamfer, tightening the plug would probably crush or break the o-ring.

Denis

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta

Wonderful, thanks for the info Denis.
Have you let the car sit long enough to see if this corrected the issue?
Has anyone who has had the dry fuel line issue try to set the tee farther in the hole by modifying the tee holder, i.e. cutting the inner parts of the holder off so as the tee isnt resting on it? I dont want to do anything as drastic as dicking with the head and threading it if I can find a resolution otherwise.

Lightman

Veteran Member

LOL, Oldnavy, if you think you mean jerry rigged. Anyway, I dont have an ego about my engine compartment. My fuel hoses may not be 'pretty' but they don't leak, don't rub anything they shouldn't, and serve their purpose as far as I'm concerned. I drive with my hood down /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Greg, the only tests George has done were on the defective filters, so no data exists for fm100 filtration testing, however I'd bet my stock vw filter and fm100 in line do as good or a better job than the cat. Oh did I mention it doesn't allow air in, and it starts every time? Did I mention it's a water separating filter as well? Save the "nobody has gotten water out of their filter' argument, because water in the fuel that the filter may have separated may not be visible. You guys wanted this cat filter so bad you went to ridiculous lengths. Greg you would have probably could have been better off just making a custom mount that would hold a bypass filter and fuel filter, but thats pretty irrelevant now.

Regardless, good luck to the guys attempting to run this cat filter, hopefully you get the probs worked out.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Now Dave if I remember right you wanted one of these filters too. You even ordered it before they were ready to go. Now why would you do that if the FM-100 were so good? George has samples of the FM-100 that were not from the supposedly bad filters. But if it is so good and if what you have is better then please sample it so we can all see. If its better /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I will switch.

Greg

Lightman

Veteran Member

I emailed George, and he has no sample of FM100 data, other than the defective filters.

Yes you remember correctly, I originally signed up to order one of these CAT's. When I found out that they didn't separate water, and the 'jury rigging' (thanks oldnavy) involved, I cancelled my order. I had a problem because I broke my primer pump addon to my fm100, so I didn't run it for a while. Once I realized what I screwed up, it's been smooth sailing for the last 20k.

LOL, with all the money and pride invested, even if my fm100/stock combo is better, you won't switch Greg /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I'm not claiming my combo is better, I haven't tested, but I am saying it's likely just as good or better. Your assertion that the fm100 is a POS is a joke. YOU'VE NEVER TESTED ONE, and George has no info. All of your assertions are based on heresay. I have successfully run my fm100 for 45k miles. Can you say that about your air leaking CAT? /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Well Dave I guess you don't know me at all. Pride does not play into this. If the FM-100 was truely better I would switch in a heart beat. But we both know its not that good because if it was everyone would be using it. As far as being jerry rigged its not any worse than having fuel hoses run all over the engine compartment. Though you attacked my system first an I could keep going on I am now done with this. Happy filtering /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Greg

Lightman

Veteran Member

Lol. A kit hasn't been made available to easily bolt on a fm100, or 'everyone' would be using it. Plenty of people ARE using it. If 2-3 extra feet of hose is a big problem, I can't see why. It doesn't leak air, and again, who cares what it looks like under the hood?

I think the cat system will be a decent system, once you guys figure out how to get them running right. Still no water separation. To each their own.

Greg, I think you're a nice guy and enjoy doing business with you etc. I think we can agree to disagree on this one. Finito. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

And yes I said juryrigged, I know, I bought FM-100 and it look like crap with all that hose and the filter stuck in a impossiable place to get at for replacement. But at least as crippled up as my back and hands are I was able to do it mysely.

I'm not sure, but I believe that cat filter is also water seperator, but then I never had any water in any of my OEM filters.

So as it is said, each to their own. I bid you good day youngester. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Eric_O

TDI
2002 Jetta Blue

Greg-

I may send you a SASE for some o-rings. However, I think that I was the problem. I don't seem to have any more air bubles. I don't know why. My guess is that I tried to tighten my banjo fitting, but just twisted the filter (too lazy to remove from the assembly). So, I think I just needed to tighten the filter more. My bad.

As for the other FM-100 here are the reasons I decided not to purchased one:

1. No evidence what so ever that there is increased filtering
2. CAT has documentation of decreasing particulates in the fuel
3. Extra fuel lines you have to add on the FM-100
4. I can buy the CAT filters down the road from me.
5. CAT filters have been tested, and proven in several other vehicles....only slight problems for the VW mount (in my case...me).

If there was another filter system that could filter fuel like the CAT system that did not require extra hoses....I would consider it. However to argue a system with no evidence of working...and a history of failure is better than a system with a low problem (not failure) rate is unfounded.

No offense (to Greg of Lightman), I don't really care who make the better fuel filter, I just go with what has evidnece of working better than stock. If something better comes out in the future that meets my needs, I'll change.

Sorry for fanning the flames and you can kill this post. Can we please return to the CAT filter air leak problems. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Eric

-Eric

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Sorry guys I have not been on this problem the last couple of days because I have other business to attend to. But I did plug a head and will be putting it on as soon as I can get to it. While doing this I ran accross something that some might want to check out. When I first had the proto type I had it set up on the bunch with the might vac attached and had a leak problem. The problem was the filtewr was not tight enough on the head. Well when I plugged the head yesterday I had a filter on the head one full turn past the contact point just as the instructions say to do. Well I had a very small leak and I could not find it. I didn't think the filter was leaking because I had it one full turn past contact. As a last resort I tighten the filter some more and the leak went away. I will be test the filter assembly thats in the car before I take it out and see if the filter might be leaking. I do not know why these have to be so tight. But you might want to look at that first just in case it is the problem. I have to be out on a call all day tomorrow so if I het to do anything it won't be till evening.

Greg

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White

Rob, it's a AN-6 o-ring boss plug. They are on Jeg's web catalog as well as other sites. You don't need a part number, it's a standard size. I used the Yellow Pages here under Hose and Fittings and found several places. It cost me $2.00 a plug.

Denis

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Rob
If you have a local John Deere dealer just tell them you want a #6 hydraulic o-ring plug. Cost here was 90 cents.

Greg

Grady

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta

Greg,
A couple of questions about the threaded nipple that the filter threads onto.

1. How is it secured to the head? Do the threads have an interference fit like 3 - 5 dual threaded studs, or is it just bottomed out in the hole to put a little stretch on the threads to keep it from loosening?

2. If the threads are a class 3 fit on both ends, is there any Loc-Tite or some sort of thread sealer / locker on them?

Thanks.