NEW! Cat Filter Install Instructions PDF and Video

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MK5(2010) and MK6(2015)
Cat Filter Installation Instructions

Hmm I did a Search on Impex for that part number it says not found. Im in Connecticut for the weekend. I guess I will just wait and see the results of your testing.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel

Happy
to report that after 18 hours of setting the fuel line was full and had the normal 1 inch size air bubble. So check you TEE to see if its leaking through the check valve.

Greg

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

If I recall George M has NEVER seen a good fuel sample from and FM100. So I'll take the air bubble. lmao

Greg

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

I have talked with George a lot about fuel filtration and I know what he has told me. On another sight guys were gun ho on the FM100 and most dumped them because of pour filtration and those are the samples that George and I have talked about. I don't think we have a lot of FM100 user here on Fred's. But I don't want to get into a pissing contest of my filter is better than ours. Its what ever floats your boat man.

Greg

Lightman

Veteran Member

I somehow don't remember bringing up the fm100

However, since you mentioned it, the tests that George did with fm100's that had bad results, were the result of a defective batch of filters. I know this because I was one of the (un)lucky few to receive them. They allowed unfiltered fuel to flow past the filter, hence causing extremely bad reports... Stanadyne sent me 12 free filters as a 'sorry' and reliable industries also sent me a few. There are quite a few members running Fm100's with zero problems, including myself. Joe Oleary has a high performance tdi running the FM100 standalone and he's very happy as well.

All I was saying is that my fuel line doesn't have water bubbles. Hopefully you guys can figure out a way to seal your Cats....

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White

It's all growing pains, we're taking an OEM system and modifying it. A weak link shows up, the thermostatic valve. We've got it identified, we can either replace it or do away with completely.

The biggest problem is is that there ain't much room in the engine compartments of these cars to put stuff!

I don't have anymore start issues, I lowered the filter some more, no more contact with the hood liner when closing the hood. Eventually I'll tap the hole for a permanent plug and get rid of the thermo valve.

Denis

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Well the NB sat for 36 hours and the fuel line was still full. Anyone else test their TEE to see if its leaking air?

Greg

Rob_from_Elkmont

Veteran Member

I will check mine this evening. Over about 8 hours, all of the fuel appears to be leaving the clear fuel line to the injection pump. I have made sure the banjo fittings are tight, all the clamps are tight, and the filter is tight. All that is left is the tee.

Interesting to note is the fact that the vehicle will still start OK most of the time. Sometimes it is hard to crank, or will start then shutdown.

Best Regards,
Rob

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Rob
I bet the tee is leaking by. Out of 80 filters I have only had maybe 6 or 8 reports about this problem.

Greg

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

I had a minor problem with big bubble on the NB, but it was due to improper torque on banjo fitting as per Greg's discussion with me. On the Jetta I had no bubble after install, or starting problems as on the NB.

I'm not into checking the fuel mileage on regular basis, but one thing I have noticed is the increased distanced that we drive now before the gage comes off full mark. I'm not talking about a couple of miles, I'm talking about going from 75-90 to 130-150 miles.

At only 16,000 miles some of it is maybe due to engine break in, but that doesn't account for that big a jump. We have started using a different fuel source (from PowerBlend to BP Supreme) a couple of tanks prior to installing the filter.

Another thing I have noticed is that color of fuel changed from light amber color to clear in the fuel line after installing Cat filter. And that makes me think that the filter is really cleaning the fuel.

Better fuel milage from a fuel filter install? Makes sense to me I guess. I know the injection pump is quiter.

I tried the FM 100 first, but could not fit it without a lot of plumbing all over the engine compartment.

Lightman

Veteran Member

ROFL, oldnavy, the filter is not taking the color out of the fuel. BP supreme, if you're actually getting it, is clear.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Dave
You are going to have to email me what all these mean
(ROFL)etc.

Greg

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta

I noticed today when i went out to start the car that I hd not diesel in the clear fuel line. Im am pretty confident that I securely tightend all connections and hookd everything up correctly. I have had no issues starting my car but my main concern is if starting the car without any fuel in the line is going to cause damage to the fuel pump. I dont want to get 20K miles down the road and have my fuel pump go T.U. Does anybody have some insight on this issue?

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

I had the same problem at first, after tighting banjo fittings another 1/2 turn no more bubble in fuel line and easy starts ever since.

Darren_J

Veteran Member
TDI
MK 4 TDI

So far so good for me as well. I removed the filter assy. again and reefed some more on the banjo bolts until I was sure they would snap if one more N.m, greased the t-stat with some valve-stem lube and re-installed. Fingers crossed this time.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

To those who have air leaks and can't find them. Make SURE the filter is on tight. Make SURE you went one full turn after it made contact with the head. Fuel filters have to be TIGHT. They are not like installing and oil filter that will not leak if its only finger tight.

Greg

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver

I used two strap wrenches to crank the filter and the adapter plate opposite directions. Found that the mounting clamp, even without the screw tightened, kept the filter from spinning like I needed, so I applied a little oil on the side of the filter to help it slide. Now that baby is cranked tight.

Unfortunately, still have the air leak. However, I only notice it if I actually look at the line. It's not enough to make the engine run rough anymore. I'm waiting on a new Tee from Impex, and I have the O-rings from Greg, so I'll play around with it this wkend.

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta

I checked my connections today and found that one of the O-rings on the tee was cracked. I put 2 brand new O-rings on it and will check it tomorrow.

morty

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf Silver

I am experiencing no fuel in the line as well.

I'm with Denis in thinking that modification to the t-holddown-bracket is in order. I'm going to take another look at it with my Roto-Zip/cut-off wheel. There's no reason why that bracket has to go UNDER the T-valve. I have a new T valve on order, but the amount of air bubbles scare me. I didn't think I had them at first, as I couldn't see them. I decided to hold the fuel line steady while the car was running and I could see quite a few small airbubbles! Isn't this bad for fuel mileage/power/the pump?

Thanks again Greg for making this possible. I'm confident we'll have the issues worked out shortly.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Morty
If you are getting air bubbles while it is running then the banjo fittings are not tight enough. If you get a dry line after the car has been off awhile then the tee or something is leaking. I am lucky that I have only few with problems but of those few I am getting some great help in trying to figure it out. I feel it is all in the tee but not the o-rings. I think I am going to take my tee out and plug the hole and see what happens. The filter does not need that damm tee anyway.

Greg

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver

[ QUOTE ]
Kennedy said:
4) And my nitpick issue. Instead of making contact with the AC line, my filter hits the fenderwell next to the black grommet. If you push it in too far, it'll rub metal to metal, not good.
I solved the problem by heading up to ACE hardware... Get a big (1.5 inch) ribbed rubber gasket in the plumbing aisle. Glue it to the fenderwell with some clear RTV where the fiter makes contact. Insert filter and push it into the bracket until it's snug against the rubber grommet, no rub and extra security.

[/ QUOTE ]I didn't find any gaskets that I would call ribbed. Can you give a little more detail on this? What direction do the ribs run - radially, or circular? What is the ribs' purpose - to better stick to the silicone? And is this a big wide gasket with a tiny hole in the center?

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta

[ QUOTE ]
If you are getting air bubbles while it is running then the banjo fittings are not tight enough.

[/ QUOTE ] Wouldnt you be able to see visible signs of leakage from the banjo fittings while the car is running?

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

No its under a slit vacuum. I have not seen any bubbles in these when running unless you have a loose fitting.

Greg

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White

Greg, I'm going to bite the bullet and tap mine out for an o-ring boss plug. AN-6 plug should do just fine, according to the tap drill size for 9/16-18 straight thread, I shouldn't even have to drill it. A 33/64 drill is just about the exact size of the hole if the dimensions you gave me are right.

I just have to find a plug locally, I know Jegs has them but I'm hoping to do this at work. Pep Boys was a joke trying to see if they had one over the phone.

For the fuel return I'll just use a double barb fitting or a piece of 1/4 stainless tubing. The end is near! No more air!

Denis

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

2000 miles and no leaks, works perfect. Used a 1/2" drive socket for banjo fittings. Only change I made was to bend the stainlees holder for T fitting up some so it wasn't over tight. On the old NB it sat for 5 days and no bubble, Jetta 3 days and no bubble. /images/graemlins/cool.gif Also I have it snugged up high and when hood closes the fittings are in the insulation of the hood. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif