NEW! Cat Filter Install Instructions PDF and Video

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Cat Filter Installation Instructions

My CAT Filter input, it's a little different since mine is installed in a Jetta vs Golf:
First, Nice piece of gear, I usually have a few critical points for everything... None here. This thing is well done!

Everyone seems to have hit the critical point thus far.

1) Ensure filter is snug on head.

2) Ensure Banjo's are tight.

3) I put the banjos on fuel hoses before tightening them to the head. This is MUCH easier than trying to get them on after tightening the banjos down. IF you do this, ensure you have a strap wrench to hold the head while you SNUG DOWN the banjos. Otherwise you won't have any way to hold the head while you really torque those bahstids down.

3) Get a piece of 5/8 radiator hose and put over the AC line to prevent the filter from rubbing it. Mine doesn't make contact, but it's tough to tell (especially with a 5.5L tank), better safe than sorry.

4) And my nitpick issue. Instead of making contact with the AC line, my filter hits the fenderwell next to the black grommet. If you push it in too far, it'll rub metal to metal, not good.
I solved the problem by heading up to ACE hardware... Get a big (1.5 inch) ribbed rubber gasket in the plumbing aisle. Glue it to the fenderwell with some clear RTV where the fiter makes contact. Insert filter and push it into the bracket until it's snug against the rubber grommet, no rub and extra security.

5) Getting the stainless bracket on sucks even more if you have the bigger 5.5L tank. Wiggle, curse, wiggle, and tighten.

Those who don't have one of these, better hurry before Greg sells out and doesn't make anymore.

Kennedy

golfdiesel

TDI
Golf, 2000, Green

I just installed my CAT filter yesterday on my '00 Golf and found the quality of the parts excellent. I just have a few comments for the interested:

1. I was able to use the OEM clamps just by loosening the banjo bolt a bit before filling and sliding the clamp on then tightening down the bolt.

2. My filter bracket was bent maybe from factory and therefore the new filter was bottoming out on the A/C line on the side but I could not close the hood. After some grunting and bending I managed to bend it enough to clear the hood.

3. I had some problems with the new filter clamp - the screw just didn't seem long enough. I made the mistake of taking it apart and trying the mate them together with the clamps installed top and bottom. As I turned the screw it became cross threaded. Solved this by taking a trip to Home Depot and buying a 4 inch stove bolt 1/4 x 20 with nut and split washer and then no problem.

All in all no a bad install. After driving around with I do notice a slight increase in get-up-and-go.

Another good design and quality product from Greg.

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver

A couple questions about the install, from the following thread:

Cat Fuel Filter Available Soon

and from Denis’s PDF instructions

1. What size O-ring is used, if it turns out replacement is needed?

2. I’m also curious what size foam pipe insulation Denis or others have used to help protect the AC line?

I like the foam idea better than the radiator line, because you can get it for 99c at the hardware store, and it seems like it would provide a more cushioned, though slightly less durable, protection. Not sure the pricing on the radiator line, but I'm sure someone will tell me if that's a better option than the pipe foam.

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White

The o-rings (2) come in a set from VW, the p/n is 1J0-198-247. I ordered them as I was having problems with air leakage causing the filter element to siphon back to the tank.

I'd really like to get rid of the thermostatic valve altogther. I've been looking for an expandable plug, but prices are prohibitive. Ultimately I'll probably just tap the hole to 9/16-18 and use a threaded plug
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/7938Plug.jpg Keeping the hole is important, especially when replacing the filter. It's the best way to fill the filter after the element is replaced.

The foam tape was 1/4 inch thick. It wasn't insulation, just foam tape.

Denis

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MK5(2010) and MK6(2015)

I don't have any hose laying around. Im going to try High density foam. I have lots of that around from unpacking computers all day.

Im doing my install Saturday... If the rain holds off.

I was wondering how much Powerservice the filter holds?

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel

For those that need O-rings I should have plenty sometime next week. What I got are 1.8mm thick instead of the 1.6mm that come with the OEM. I hope the fit or I will be setting on several hundred useless o-rings.

I am going to be include about 6" of split loom conduit. I have this for some other items I sell and it works great. I have used it on a couple that I have installed this week.

Greg

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta

Recieved and installed my CAT filter today
. Thanks again Greg. Hopefully I got everything on tight enough, i.e. banjo fittings, mounting bracket, filter head. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Thing will hold damn near a whole bottle of PS
. Just go buy yourself a new bottle, whatever you dont use just dump 'er in the tank
. Couldnt find any radiator hose, so I just used some foam instead.

Lightman

Veteran Member

Sheesh, and I thought my fm100 install was tricky - hooking up two hoses, LOL. Glad to see people are finally getting the CAT's on and running though!! Better fuel filtration for all.

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI

Well, I got everything together to put my new filter in and I looked outside, all I can say is CATS and DOGS!!! Well I hope it stops soon.

EDIT: Well it stopped, Man do I Smell like Diesel.
The air bubble in my clear fuel line is a little bigger when the engine is off. I see no fuel leaking out and no air bubbles when its running. I'm keeping my old filterin the car for an EMERGENCY for a while.

Are people having problems with the O-ring? I was wondering if it would be better to have 2 long screws with a topplate that hold the T valve down?

What is the thread size of the screw? I think I'm going to replace it with a Allen head one.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

The screws are 8-32. I will have o-rings sometime next week that will be just a bit larger. If they work I will post it here.

Greg

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI

Installed mine today. Didn't put any cushioning under the filter yet, so I need to decide on which to use in the next few days.

I replaced the O-ring, not because it looked like it was necessary, but because I hadn't replaced it in the 4 years I've owned the car. I had picked up an O-ring collection from Harbor Freight the other day for $9 or 10. In this collection, the ones marked R07 are the ones that fit. Landuyt had mentioned bigger O-rings, so I tried R08, which are just a bit fatter, but it just wouldn't fit in the hole. The box says the R07 are ID 3/8, OD 1/2, 1/16 section.

I picked today because they had voluntary auto emissions testing here. I wanted to see if there was a difference VW vs CAT filter.

Answer: not really.
The three numbers will be 1) avg of three previous tests since 1999, 2) today's numbers using stock filter with 8,000 miles on it, 3) numbers using new CAT filter.

````````AVG```````VW``````CAT
HC```````7`````````8````````6
CO``````.09```````.00``````.01
C02`````3.7```````3.0``````3.1
02```````````````16.6`````16.3
NOx````170```````261``````256

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

dqa

The o-rings you are using are standard, what I have are metric so their will be some difference. I got the ones I have been waiting on today. They work but is tight. The others I have I think will be a little easier to use. As soon as I can get my digital camera back from the kid this weekend I will shoot some pics of the OEM and the 2 over size ones I have and post them.

Greg

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI

Hmmm... that could be why I was getting air, and sometimes rough running, as soon as I posted that message and walked out the door.

How might I obtain these O-rings?

Follow-up: the rough running later turned out to be a dying AC compressor.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Send me and SASE and I will give you 2 sizes to try and all I ask is that you report back on how they work.

Greg

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI

Well this morning when I got in to my car and start it it did not start
Since I just installed the CAT filter I wanted to check for air in the clear line.

It was bone dry. The car did start after cranking it 2 more times for about 10 seconds each crank. (10 SCEONDS is a long time
). When I left work I popped the hood and checked the line 1st, it was dry.

Well off to PEP-BOYS to get a some sort of wrench to hold the top of the filter so I can try and tighten the bolts some more. Well those 2 bolts are as tight as they ever will get. I even put on a worm screw clamp on the fuel lines.

I started the car to make shre the lines were full of fuel. In the morning I will report back on my progress.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Well I have had 3 reports in the last couple of days about the dry lines. My sons was dry Sunday morning and I replaced the o-rings this morning. Will see what happens next. Another thing you need to remember is make sure the filter is on the head tight. At least one FULL turn after making contact. If your line was dry after just 8 hours it has to be a pretty good leak somewhere.

Greg

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI

I just went to check on the fuel line <font color="blue"> (time from last check 1 hour 45 min) </font> . It is almost empty except for about an inch up from where the clear fuel line bends to go under the plastic cover.

I oiled the gasket on the filter. I must be a wimp but to be sure I marked the Filter and Cap with a Marker at the point where the 1st touched. Then it took me several twists with the filter between my legs and twisting the top with every ounce or strength I had in me. It is on tight, ONE full turn after contact, not looking forward to replacing it

Eric_O

TDI
2002 Jetta Blue

I have had problems with the a "leak" somewhere. My fuel lines will be empty after a while. I know that the filter is on tight. It is either the banjo fittings, since I didn't have a vice but I got them as tight as I could. Personally, I think that the o-ring in the T is not tight enough. I'll have to try some newer/tighter o-rings.

-Eric

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

If anyone wonders if the filter or any of the fittings on it are leaking, just clap off the supply and return lines and pull a vacuum with a might vac. I had problems with the proto type leaking and I found the filter not to be tight enough. The tee never did leak and I don't think it ever will unless the o-rings get cut or damaged in some way. I do have 2 over size o-rings that anyone can try if they want to send me and sase. I will send you both sizes and all you need to do is report back on how they work. I like the larger size but you have to be careful when installing them. You have to lube up the o-rings and then push straight down, do not cock it or you will damage the o-ring. Once it is in they are tight and I mean tight.

Greg

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White

My setup worked perfectly, until I opened/closed the hood. I'd let the car sit for a day and it would start fine. On an incline or flat, no problems, if I didn't open the hood.

Open and close the hood and the first start was a long crank. I think the hood liner is hitting the thermostatic valve. That's why I changed th o-rings. It's still a problem. I pushed the filter assy lower in its holder, still a problem. I tie wrapped the fuel lines to the air duct from the intercooler, hoping to lower both lines so they don't get hit by the hood liner when it's closed.

I cranked the filter element one full turn when I assembled it. The Banjo fittings were cranked down hard, so I don't believe it's that.

Denis

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Denis
If you have a mighty vac just clamp off the supply and return lines and pull a vacuum on the banjo going to the pump and see if it holds a vacuum. I replaced the o-rings in my sons Jetta the other morning and so fa so good.

Greg

Darren_J

Veteran Member
TDI
MK 4 TDI

Getting the same problem with dry lines too. Only on occasion, I think when the tank is below 3/4. Changed the whole thermostat assy., worm clamped the fuel lines and reefed on the banjo bolts but no difference, clear line is empty right now at work with a 1/2 tank. Greg, I'll send a SASE to ya if that's ok, I would like to try the oversized o-rings just to eliminate that area of doubt. I think there's a vacuum pump around here somewhere. Still a great filter though, worth the peace of mind.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

I still do not think this is a leak problem. I think what is happening is the tank has a vacuum on it and its pulling the fuel out. Loosen the fill cap after you get out and see what happens. It could be sihoning back as well. My NB does not seem to haver this problem but some with Jettas are.

Greg

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI

I think what is happening is the tank has a vacuum on it and its pulling the fuel out.
But I have worked onmy Jetta under the hood and always had fuelin my lines along with a small bubble. But never dry fuel lines

I'll send ya a SASE for the larger O rings also... Im going to connecticut and will have sometime on my hands. Im going to dab OIL around each bolt one at a time and check but Ill do the Filter gasket 1st.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

It has to be draining back to the tank. I just got done clamping the lines on the NB and it holds a vacuum. I now have the supply line clamped and a full line. I am going to mower the yard and see where it is when I get done in about and hour and half.

Greg

Denis

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 5sp, 2002, White

Greg, I was playing around with the filter today and I noticed that if I pushed on the fuel lines or tapped the thermo valve with the engine running, there would be a brief stream of air bubbles that would pass towards the fuel pump.

I think when I close the hood of the car the hood's liner contacts the fuel lines or thermo valve, momentarily breaking the seal causing air to be admitted into the filter/or fuel to drain back to the tank. I've done the vent mod awhile ago, so I believe a vacuum in the tank isn't likely.

Something you might want to try is this: on the bracket that holds the valve in-place, cut back the lower portion on both sides to allow the valve to clear the bracket on the bottom, letting the valve seat farther into its hole in the filter assy.

Might work, currently the thermo valve sits on top of the bracket where the valve penetrates the filter assy.

Denis

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Denis
I have been do some playing around as well and this is what I found. After I stopped the motor the line was full so I clamped the supply line. About and hour later the line was not empty but it did have a big air bubble in it. Now this time after stopping the engine I clamped the tank side of the tee on the return and the line stayed full. I now have the engine side of the tee clamped and I will see what it looks like in the morning. I have never had a no start problem so I am not worried about air in the line. When I pull a vacuum on the whole filter it holds it fine and you can move the tee around all you want with know leak. I am still scratching my head on this.

Greg

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI

Denis said: Something you might want to try is this: on the bracket that holds the valve in-place, cut back the lower portion on both sides to allow the valve to clear the bracket on the bottom, letting the valve seat farther into its hole in the filter assy.
Denis,
I was thinking that same thing.

I was also thinking about drilling and 1/4 hole in the side to place a hardened steel rod into just at the place where the Bracket that holds the filter comes up in the back. This will allow me to tighten the top bolts without holding the top. I will have to study the design 1st to ensure I do not bone it up.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Well guys I think I found the leak!! It was the TEE but not the O-rings. The TEE also acts like a check valve so full will not go back to the tank from the filter. I pulled mine out and checked it and it leaks quite well. Before replacing it with the new one I check the new one and it was tight with no leak. So far the line is still full but morning will tell more. Check yours out and see if its leaking.
For anyone that wants the part number its 1J0 1270247 A. You can get them from the dealer or Impex. I get them from Impex but I am currently out. I put the last one I had on the NB.
Greg