NEW! Cat Filter Install Instructions PDF and Video

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel
Well guys and gals I have finally gotten the chance to sit and write this out. I am not very good at this sort of thing so please, if you see something that needs changed or what ever please let me know. After turning wrench’s for a living for the past 25 years I just take for granted that anyone that is doing their own maintenance can do this.

1) Take the Cat filter and apply a small amount of oil on the rubber gasket, then turn it onto the head. Once the rubber gasket has touched the head give the filter one complete turn. This step is very important and if you do not turn it at least one full turn you could have and air leak.

2) Now remove the old OEM filter.

3) Remove the old clamp off the filter holder and spread the holder just enough so the Cat filter will slip in.

4) Now put the new clamp onto the filter holder and tighten. For those with A4 Jetta/Golf before you have the clamp tight make sure you pull the filter up just a bit so it is not resting on the a/c line that runs underneath the filter. This clamp is not as strong as the OEM and its purpose is to keep the filter from shifting in the holder, so please do not get carried away when tightening it.

5) Now put the banjo fittings on the fuel lines. You my have to use a larger clamp to hold the hose. I am at this time trying to find a spring clamp that will work.

6) Place a copper seal onto the banjo bolt, then slide it through the banjo fitting and put the second copper seal on the banjo bolt and screw the bolt into the head. The outside fitting is from the tank and the inside fitting goes to the injection pump.

7) Now use a strap wrench to hold the head and use a ¾” or 19mm socket to tighten the banjo bolts down. Use some force here, you will not hurt anything and they have to be tight or they will leak air.

8) Before installing the tee fill the filter with your favorite poison. Install the thermostatic tee in the head. Now lift the tee just enough so you can slide the tee hold bracket under it. You will have to use a small screw drive to pry the holder up over the top of the tee. Once you have the tee in the holder slide it all the way in and tighten down the 2 screws.

9) Start the engine and check for leaks.

Greg

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
Cat Filter Installation Instructions

Greg--good job!

Here's a hint to Jetta owners:

When you remove the old filter, use a 2" piece of heater hose, split it length wise and wrap it around the ac line. When you put the Cat filter in, push it down until it just contacts the heater hose.

By doing this, you won't have to wonder if it's down far enough so that it won't hit the hood liner. Trust me, I'm very anal about my car and wanted it to be perfect. I must have checked with my flashlight about 15 times w/ & w/o the heater hose. What concerned me about 'pulling it up a little' is that this is not enough. The problem is that the ac line comes down in an angle therefore, the Cat filter would have to be brought up WAY to much in order to clear the line and by doing this, you won't have the clearance on top.

If you don't believe this, put your Cat filter in where you think it should be and then clamp it. Now, wiggle it around with your hand on the head--that noise you hear is the filter hitting the ac line.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI

Here's a question:

Since this filter is longer & has a larger diameter than the oem, why can't I go atleast 20-25K miles between changes?

Also, does Baldwin make a replacement filter for this setup? And does it filter as good as the Cat?

Thanks

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

It should go 20K no problem, I know of at least one that has that many miles on it. As for a Baldwin I am sure they have one but I am not sure of the size.

Greg

eisenkrote

Veteran Member

Thank you, Greg. Which is the inlet & which the outlet on the filter? I'm assuming center is the outlet?

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT

Here's a question:

Since this filter is longer & has a larger diameter than the oem, why can't I go atleast 20-25K miles between changes?

Also, does Baldwin make a replacement filter for this setup? And does it filter as good as the Cat?

Thanks
I've cut my old Cat filter open and the amount of filter media in there is at least double to the stock VW/Bosch unit. One should easily go 30,000 miles on these filters as they are designed to go that long on large class 8 truck applications. The amount of fuel our little fuel pumps recirculate is a trickle compared to what the Cat filters are designed for.

I also used the Baldwin 2-micron fuel filter. It is NOT made as well as the Cat unit. The Baldwin unit will filter as well as the Cat unit but it is an oil filter design with fuel filter media in it. There is not much difference in the amount of filter media between the two fuel filters. It is slightly larger in every demention to the Cat and usually a bit more expensive so with the clearence issues we have I would stick with the Cat fuel filter. Only A3/B4 owners who have a lot more room in the fuel filter area could consider the Baldwin unit as a substitute.

Here is what the inside of the Cat filter looks like. The Baldwin unit is put together the same as an oil filter.

Brian, 97 Passat TDI

Edited to fix picture link.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI

Thanks Greg & Brian.

I only have to change it once a year

BTW Greg, nice unit!

Rob_from_Elkmont

Veteran Member

Speaking of the CAT filter on a B4, anyone have a suggestion as to clamping options? I am looking around for a solution. I am using zip-ties temporarily. The fuel filter holder for my B4 is different than for my A4.

Thanks,
Rob

VWannabe

Veteran Member

I am in the same situation with my A3. The new clamp won't work with my old one and I have the filter just stuck down in the old clamp. I have shoved it down farther than it normally would be and it sits a little crooked, but it does not move and seems to work just as well. I was hoping the Baldwin filter would work as well because there is one with a water drain that seems about the same size (can't remember the part #).

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Rob
I am suppose to get pictures from a guy that solved that problem. I will post it here when I get them. This is suppose to work on the A3 as well.

Greg

solstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 NB red cabrilet

Your correct- but the original has a drain valve for water, will the future Cat fuel filter have this drainvalve to eleminate water collection? and again what is the total price ?

DallasTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta then 2011 A3 & 2013 Beetle

I second the drain valve question and the price and ordering info.....

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Sorry for the delay.....pictures just sent to Greg.

Simple fix. Just takes some ingenuity and a small piece of bent metal and new screws/nuts.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

To me a drain is not important. I have never drained any water out of the OEM, and I ask how many of you really drain the filter? Cat does not seem to think its needed or they would have put on on. The Baldwin will not come close to fitting in the OEM spot. You can go here for price information

Bruce
Thanks for the pics to show how the A3 and B4 oem filter holder can be used with the Cat.

Greg

super

perma-cool 81000 works perfect for me $30 for head ,$13 for each filter element, 2 inlet 2 outlet with water drain plug,
return hose goes back into filter ,than to tank

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI

Super,

The whole idea of this setup isn't price of the filter & head. It's the 2micron filtration!!

You better check your cheap setup & I'll bet it isn't filtering anywhere close to this.

If you want to save money do this quick check: think about how long your fuel pump can withstand the poor quality of fuel from an el cheapo filter compared to that of this unit. FYI--new fuel pump is around $2000. Once you bought the head for the Cat filter, you can get the same cat filter for ~$9. And you only have to change the filter at the most once/year. My money is on this unit
!

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black

Looks good, I got the filter a week or so ago..Now all I need to do is get my wife to come back with the car! a question? Why would I want to fill the filter with bud light????

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Go for it, their are a lot of other choices. But will it fit in the OEM spot?

Greg

VWannabe

Veteran Member

Greg:

Do you mind posting the pics for the A3/B4 filter clamp installation? I cannot figure out how to do it and would like to see the ingenuity of others.

Thanks

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Bruce
Sorry about that I just forgot to do it. I think this picture shows the best.

Greg

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Reference the above picture, parts list as follows:

Long bolt is 6mm x 75 mm, 1.0 thread, with appropriate locknut with nylon insert.
Short bolt holding metal piece is 6 mm x 1/2 inch (mm?). Just don't get one so long that it will ride against the filter. Screws into threaded portion of bracket.
Need 3 flat washers, 2 star or lock washers.

Cost for all above under $3.

Piece of metal was something lying around the firehouse. Was originally a 90 degree piece, hammered flat, and then bent by hammering into required shape. Would have been much nicer if I had a vise at the time.

If you can find the long bolt in an allen or phillips head, would be much easier to use. I couldn't find one in the local small town hardware store. Ditto with Stainless steel.

Filter does not move at all with this solution.

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MK5(2010) and MK6(2015)

Please be nice, I'm learning. I'm mechanically inclined but working with fuel I want to be 100% correct the 1st time around. Had a GAS fire as a youngster with my 68 Chevelle SS after installing a CARB I rebuilt. The fire was small and had no engine damage but I got to see gas boil on the intake. I still have this car also
SS 396

8) Before installing the tee fill the filter with your favorite poison.
Are you saying I can add 100% Power Service?

I’m just checking.

I understand how to find fuel leaks.. but if I'm sucking air? How do I tell?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)

Luv My 02 TDI said: (snip)
8) Before installing the tee fill the filter with your favorite poison.
Are you saying I can add 100% Power Service?
__. Yup, and in fact, it's a good idea.

I understand how to find fuel leaks.. but if I'm sucking air? How do I tell?
__. Look for air bubbles in the clear line. In fact, you can drop a little oil (like engine oil) on a suspect connection and see if that helps -- it the bubbles drop down, you've (temporarily) sealed a leak. Get a good screw clamp and seal it permanently. But you probably won't have a leak.
__. I'm about a block from Ft. Ward for the next couple of days. If you want me to have a look at it, drop me a message.
MrG

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver

Greg, To clear up my confusion, there's a pic of my A3 OEM thermostatic tee in this thread. It's different from an A4, it does not "thread in", it pushes into the filter and the o-ring comes already mounted inside the filter.

What would I need for the Cat setup? Thanks.

John B.

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI

A4 tees also just push is. It looks basically the same as that one.

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MK5(2010) and MK6(2015)

Hehehehe

Guess what was waiting for me when I came home today

It was my new CAT FILTER

So guess what I'm doing this weekend..... yup you got it
The smell of Diesel on my hands .... I can't wait!!!!