NEW! Cat Filter Install Instructions PDF and Video

DLV

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI ALH 5M silver, 2011 Audi A3 TDI Monza Silver
Cat Filter Installation Instructions

It's safe. How long it takes for a filter to get loaded to 8.8 "hg at 4000 rpm remains to be seen by me. Remember you're delivering 2 microns! This is far bettor thaan oem.

KennyFlys

TDI
XX

A lift pump is in he works and has a built in pressure regulator.
Greg
Greg, Should I continue and order the kit as it is now or wait for this improvement you are looking into? I've already put 7,900 miles on my `04 and it will be four weeks old on 6/9.
I am using the Castrol oil from the dealer who is charging me a decent price. I just want to make any improvements I can to make this puppy last longer than the loan given what I'm doing to it. I'm open to ideas from veteran on here.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI
99 NB 82 Westfalia Diesel

The lift pump is and entirely different thing and is really not need. I will have it available for those that want one. If you want a Cat filter you should order it now. I am surprise at the number of orders that are coming in. I hope to be shipping them with in the next couple of weeks.

Greg

TomTDI

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, Indigo Blue, Grey Leather

FYI, torque the banjo bolts to about 40 or 50 lb. ft., according to Greg. Don't ask me how I had to find out...

Tom

(edited because I don't know the difference between PSI and ft. lbs.)

DLV

Veteran Member
TDI

Do you mean ft lbs not PSI?

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)

Yes I just did this test. The 8.8"hg max inlet vacuum to the injector pump is at 4000 engine rpm. I finally had the b_lls to rev it that high (after finally being reassured that it is ok). With a new (1 week) CAT 2 filter, at 4000 engine rpm the inlet reading was just under 7"hg. So if my math is correct, this filter can be loaded by ~2"hg of crap before it will affect the fuel injection pump. I'll have to check it periodically and determine how many miles this is (depends on quality of fuel of course).
Well something got me to do the test today... part of it was giving myself something to do while my Father-in-law struggled putting together a big wheel that they bought for my daughter - i couldn't stand to watch him struggle and get frustrated...

sooo i grabbed my vacuum gauge that i used to monitor the N75 vacuum... attached it to a 'T' fitting and put two barbs on the end - cut a 1.5" section of spare fuel line (NAPA brand 9.5mm stuff) and put it together...

Granted the gauge isn't calibrated - could be off one way or another but here is what i found:
idle (861 rpm) 5.5-6 inches of mercury
2000 6
2500 6
3000 6.5-7
4000 7-8

so at 4,000 rpms i was hitting close to the 8.8" Hg spec...

how long has this filter been on the car you might be wondering:
It was installed at 158,500 miles on the 17th of June. give or take a day...
I'm at 197,500 roughly right now... so we are sitting at 39,000 miles of high quality clean fuel (check the fuel analysis that lrpavlo and I did on our fuel source - very clean stuff).

I'll probably change it before next weekend and cut it open and get some images to share. I will also beable to get a comparison in vacuum readings...

just a bit of info for the record

DLV

Veteran Member
TDI

That's good info to know. I will be curious to see your pics. Also, I've checked the gauge after the car is hot and I'm in the 5"hg range at 4000 rpm.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)

Good point - these reading were done with cold fuel and a cold pump... cold meaning 60-70 degrees ambient (ºF)

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather

Have several Cat filters on PD's now and they drop right in.
If the PD filter is the same internally as the pre PD filter you will not being doing your fuel system any good. Higher pressure with dirt is a bad thing.

Greg
The stock fuel filter for the '04 PD (BEW) motor is indeed the same as for the '03 and erlier TDIs (I called the VW dealer). This makes me very nervous, along with a Heavy Duty Trucking (magazine) article I read about particles less than 10 microns ruining unit injectors.

Greg, I just placed my order for your CAT filter set up.

--Nate.

AF_Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Reflex Silver

Is there an updated set of installation instructions? Didn't get any instructions with my unit.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Insrtuctions are really not needed. But if you follow whats here you will be fine.

Greg

AF_Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI

Greg,

After reading this thread for about an hour let me ask a few simple questions:

1. Where do the o-rings go? Specifically, the two small ones and the one large one.
2. After all the talk about copper washers, I don't have them, instead some other sort of black material washer. Are these direct replacements for the copper ones? Do they leak less?
3. Do I need to bend the banjo "nozzles" up a bit so the hoses and clamps don't interfere with seating/sealing?
4. What torque with these new washers...still 50 FT-LBS?
5. The rubber heater hose trick on the A/C line the best work around for the size difference?
6. Is there a difinitive recomendation on when to change the filter.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

AF_Jetta

Small o-rings go on the tee and the large one goes on the nipple that the filter screws onto. You have the updated version of the seals which do not need as much torque. I do not use a torque wrench, I tighten them do till the don't leak which is not much. Do not bend the banjo up they will work fine the way they are. Use heater hose to protect about a 6" section of the AC line that is below the filter. Some are changing at 20 others are going 40K or more.

Greg

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)

(snip) Do not bend the banjo up they will work fine the way they are. (snip)
Greg
__. I don't mean to sound like I'm taking a contrary position here, but there's something going on. I've done two installation, my '02 Jetta sedan and MzLauraLee's '03 waggin.

__. Doing mine, I had some problems getting the banjo bolts tight enough so I put the baseplate in a vise, lubed the copper washers and central O-ring with mineral oil, and installed the banjos and filter while the baseplate was in the vise. Then I put the whole assembly in the car and slide the fuel lines onto the banjos (more mineral oil), installed the clips, filled the filter with diesel and put the T-valve in, and was good to go. Total time, about 25 minutes, no sweat.

__. OK, I know what I'm doing, no problem with MzLL's waggin, right? Well, no. Everything went well until I got to the fuel lines. They wouldn't go on -- the barbs on the banjos were touching the baseplate. So, I loosened the banjo bolts and slid the fuel lines on. Tightening the banjo bolts with the unit in the car was a pure b!tch and when I'd finished, I cound that the fuel lines were being pinched and there was no way to get the clips on. So, off again, the banjos in the vise with copper plates to protect the banjo faces, and a slight bend on the banjos; but I didn't want to bend the banjos too much because I was afraid of breaking the tubes or warping the faces. So, with bent banjos, reassembled the whole thing. This time, the lines slid on but there was still no room for the clips, so I loosened the banjo bolts again, installed the clips (which were now pinched between the fuel line, banjo, and base plate), said f*ck it it'll just have to work like this if it will, filled the filter and tried to start. Started fine, but quit after about 7 seconds. Refilled the filter and fuel line to the pump (banjo bolt off again, since I couldn't pull the line off the banjo to fill the line), and tried again. This time it ran for about 15 seconds. OK, let's fill the filter and fuel line again -- finally, the cars runs without stalling but it's coughing and rattling and obviously not running right and the clear fuel line is full of bubbles, large and small. After a couple of minutes of idling, I switched it off and refilled the filter through the T-valve hole, slowly dropping fuel in to ensure that all the filter medium is really saturated and all the air is out, and tried to tighten the banjo bolts again. OK, let's start again; this time, it sounds a little better but I can't send MzLL down the road in a car that I don't trust. But since it's sounding better, I tried driving around the block a few times and it did fine. I've now got about four hours into this second install and errands that I thought that I could get to easily that afternoon were becoming urgent, so I took her old filter in two plastic bags, tools and a can of diesel and did some running around. OK, the car seems to be running fine now, so I finally scrub the diesel off her key and steering wheel and my hands and go pick her up from work. Since then, it's been fine and she's done a few Interstate trips, etc. although -- no matter what I did -- I couldn't get much torque on the banjo bolts with the filter/baseplate assembly installed in the car.

__. Why did one install go easy as pie in 25 minutes and the other one take 4 hours (and scraped knuckles, blood, sweat, and desperation) of struggle? Dunno, except that the countersink at the banjo bold locations in the baseplate seemed deeper on the second one -- on my car, the tops of the copper washers are above the level of the baseplate - on the waggin, they's almost level with it.

__. So, except for that one difference, I'm not sure exactly what went on or what mechanical differences there were between the two installs -- all I know is that my experience between the two is night and day.

__. But, AF, if it appears that you really need to bend the banjos, it might be a good idea to give it a try. But be warned, they're really stiff and it's hard to get a bend on them and if you warp the sealing faces or crack the tube part, you're in deep water.

__. That's what I found. I really hope that everyone else's experience is like my first install.
'

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

Can't tell you what happened without looking at it, but the next batch will not be counter sunck arounfd the banjo fitting. Also with the new seals you do not have to have them so tight.

Greg

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)

Can't tell you what happened without looking at it, but the next batch will not be counter sunck arounfd the banjo fitting. Also with the new seals you do not have to have them so tight.

Greg
__. Yeah, I hesitated to make that last post because I was afraid that people might think that I was sorry that I went to the CAT filter -- nothing could be farther from the truth! Both cars seem to run better now and we're SURE that we're feeding cleaner, better fuel to the engines. Plus, the cost of replacement filters will be much less when we get to that point.

__. All in all, I'm extremely happy with the filters -- I just wish that I knew what made the second install so different from the first.
'

AF_Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI

MGW,

Thanks for the insight. I just didn't want to get into the job w/o a full understanding of what I needed to be successful. I hate when "simple" jobs become complex.

Best I can tell the banjo fittings being so close to the head has caused havoc for a lot of people. Nevertheless the everyone seems to enjoy the new set up once they have it working.

BrentB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 99 1/2, Black

Well I have had the last run in with that filter today as my car died at a light for no reason. Once in awhile I found it took conciderable cranking to get it to turn over, this happened once in awhile to I tryed to take note of the weather etc and nothing seemed to add up, well after haing it die for the first time today in traffic I can no longer risk my time and the pump life on a filter. I am going to uninstall it today and see if I can find the problem. I think I might try tapping out the T and see if I can find some copper pieces that I can work in there so I can figure out if that is the problem. When running before there was the odd small little air bubble and I am sure the bangos are more then tight. If I feel lucky I may order the new O rings and try them out but for now this thing is shelfed.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

What seals do you have on the banjo's now? Did you use the o-rings supplied? Large on goes on the thread nipple and the 2 small go on the Tee. Also you MUST tighten the filter at least one full turn after it makes contact with the head.

Greg

gearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf

...in addition to what Greg said...

Before shelving the unit, get the new washers & single barb banjo fittings. I torqued them to 17-20 ft lbs & was able to retain the stock fuel line clamps, no leaks, & clearance between filter head & fuel line clamp. Since upgrading to the new washers & single barb banjo fitting, there has been no problems.

Part of the problem (my opinion) is that the the multi barb fitting with the rubber hose & metal clamp is has a total o/d larger than stock (the clamp pushes down on the black filter head). This puts uneven pressure/torque on the copper washers and makes sealing tough, though not impossible.

* to protect the A/C line, I slit a 4" pc of thin wall 5/8 HDPE hose/pipe (Lowes) & slipped it over the AC line.

BrentB

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 99 1/2, Black

I have the old school 3 barb and copper washers. I did use every O ring that was supplied with the kit. I have followed the progess this kit since the beginning so I have installed everything correctly. Although it is hard to tell where the leak seams to be comming from as it must be small. Toady was the first time it actually died while running but there was the odd time where the fuel line went dry or had a large air bubble. Unfortuatly for the next while I need something that I know for sure will start on que and not die as that is something I can not afford. If you want to send me a price for the upgrade kit I may revisit putting it back in.
Edit: Ok I do have the single barb units and I think the problem may have been do to the clamps. Should I bend these upwards a bit? Greg if you can send me a PM for the price of the new O rings, new T with O rings and one main ring it would be very helpful

soc993

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI; 2012 Golf TDI

I am having problems with a leaky "T." The car starts and runs fine after the installation but there is fuel leaking out from the hole where the T slides into. Any tips? Might it be the O-rings?

soc993

TDI

Made that mistake the first time, so I replaced them. Still leaking. Should I try bending the top of the bracket you supplied so it puts pressure on the top of the T in an attempt to keep it secured in the hole? Thank you for your help.

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

You can try that but as long as their is pressure on it, it should be OK. The tee has had very little trouble sealing. You might want to take it out and inspect the bore to make sure its not nicked up.

Greg

soc993

TDI

I bent the overhead tab down a bit and that seems to have done the trick. Will keep the fingers crossed. Thanks again for your insight.

AlanTDI

Veteran Member
Long Island NY, relocating to Louisiana next week
TDI
1996 Passat wagonTDI, 02 jetta sedan, on the dark side 2017 Rav4

Hi:
Finally got around to installing the CAT filter.
Everything went smoothly.
Tight fit in the OEM filter housing even with the supplied extender connector. Kinda stratched up yellow filter forcing it into housing.

While I didnt have the strap wrench to hold back the filter while tightening the banjo fittings, I dont think I have any leaks.

The first time after the install she fired right up. The next two times after a few hours I took a few cranks to start. Now all appears fine. Starts on first crank.

I didnt see the rubber gasket that goes between filter and cap.
-----

LanduytG

Vendor
TDI

O-rings are taped to the top of the box. 1 large that go over the threaded nipple and 2 small that go on the tee.

Greg

AlanTDI

Veteran Member
Long Island NY, relocating to Louisiana next week
TDI
1996 Passat wagonTDI, 02 jetta sedan, on the dark side 2017 Rav4

Hi Greg:
Since I didnt put the larger o-ring on the nipple that connects to filter, do you think it will be ok without it?
And I guess the old small o-rings on the Tee were still in good condition.
I'll have to look for those o-rings.

Thanks, Alan
-----------