New California smog checks.......

aaronjbeetle

TDI
2014 Beetle Manual
I'll update when I do!
Can't wait to hear back about it.

I just moved to California from rural Washington State, never had to do a SMOG before (the state has since done away with ALL smog checks) but passed stock with no issue in July. Wanting to do a tune myself (keeping DPF) but saw this same article on the tunes.

Thanks!

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Can't wait to hear back about it.

I just moved to California from rural Washington State, never had to do a SMOG before (the state has since done away with ALL smog checks) but passed stock with no issue in July. Wanting to do a tune myself (keeping DPF) but saw this same article on the tunes.

Thanks!
What year is your beetle?

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Passed today with a Malone stage 1. 01' NB
Now I can start thinking about installing my 0.205 injectors.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
**** yea! You see im gonna order full exhaust from profidiesel in europe and not worry because all they do for our mk4’s is check for no cel. Im running malone stage 4 passed twice with gutted cat.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
so an update

failed because of visual smoke test. went to different place because it was booked at the original spot. Then went to another place and flagged me for red silicone vacuum hoses.

no issues with ecu and tune! so that's good news!

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Flagged for replacement vac hoses?? What the actual F?

Do they fail you for brakes if you painted your calipers?

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
Flagged for replacement vac hoses?? What the actual F?

Do they fail you for brakes if you painted your calipers?
it's California haha. I asked the guy to show me where it states that. He couldn't find it and refused to continue.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
So you need to redo the vacuum hoses and schedule at Orcutt 76?
I'm going 76 on Monday as is and see what happens. Then if I fail again I'll fix it. Didn't you have the blue silicone hoses on yours when you did smog?

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
I wonder now if the data from my ecu is stored in an online database. If I upgrade to a different stage tune will that compare with my previous smog data?

malone stated that the cvn is altered but should be okay if refreshed to stock.

from malone
Some flash tools automatically modify the CVN and possibly emulate the checksum in order to try to make tunes more or less invisible, but I don't think any of them would apply to a vehicle of this age. You might have to flash it back to stock for it to pass.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I wonder now if the data from my ecu is stored in an online database. If I upgrade to a different stage tune will that compare with my previous smog data?

malone stated that the cvn is altered but should be okay if refreshed to stock.

from malone
I was wondering that too. Or maybe they're creating their own database from all the ones they're reading.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
You can run a tune but will need to flash back to stock for the test every 2 years.
Not true.
2 under my belt. Legit and no issue. Sailed right thru. (Kerma non delete). Don't fear the reaper

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
The CA smog systems for OBD-II just check for readiness codes and check engine codes. physically they check that the stock intake and vacuum systems are in place along with emissions equipment.
I don’t believe the smog computers can detect an aftermarket tune on the older cars.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Depends on the station some do check the software the older non updated ones do not YET