New bumper

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Well, I got my NB back from the body shop last week and am extremely happy with the work. I asked them not to drill the front bumper for the license plate :cool:. I also got the rockers fixed from the PO's inability to watch what he is doing, LOL. Another added bonus was I got new plastic engine covers underneath, they were totally missing when I bought it. and I got to say it has quieted the diesel motor noise quite a bit.
I added a set of clear euro-style signals and lowered it a skosh more by removing the rear coilover spring perches and dropping the front about 1/4" more to finish it off. I was also thinking about new 18" wheels, but now, I like the way it looks and sits :)

2 pics from yesterday:

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
With your car that low, you might want to consider some better engine protection than those plastic shields provide. Many folks have had to replace oil pans or engines due to damage from rocks, road debris and ice chunks. We have Dieselgeek's Panzer Plates on both of our cars, but there are other manufacturers out there.

...Another added bonus was I got new plastic engine covers underneath, they were totally missing when I bought it. and I got to say it has quieted the diesel motor noise quite a bit...

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
With your car that low, you might want to consider some better engine protection than those plastic shields provide. Many folks have had to replace oil pans or engines due to damage from rocks, road debris and ice chunks. We have Dieselgeek's Panzer Plates on both of our cars, but there are other manufacturers out there.
Thanks

After some thought, I installed a steel-bottomed hybrid oil pan about a month ago and feel secure with that as I didn't want to lose anymore ground clearance, but I am considering a metal skid plate as added protection

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Looks cool, my 2005 NB is my beater car so it will never look cool but it is damn cheap to drive!!:)
Mine's my daily driver too! Driven year round through snow, sleet, you name it. I'll have to readjust the coilovers as winter approaches & my snow tires go on.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
Nice! When and where did you get the yellow/fog lenses in the lower valance? I must've missed that thread.

Also, when you are ready to sell that Beetle, may I have 1st dibs? :)

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Nice! When and where did you get the yellow/fog lenses in the lower valance? I must've missed that thread.

Also, when you are ready to sell that Beetle, may I have 1st dibs? :)
I got them through Amazon. They were listed as Lamin-X amber (or yellow) fog light covers. They are a pretty substantial film that sticks to the lenses. They're not an exact fit but with proper placement they look great!

LOL I'll keep you in mind if I ever do decide to sell it - It may be quite a while yet though ;)

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
Oh, ok.....so it is just a pre-cut film that you apply to the actual OEM lens?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Looks sharp. You may rethink the lowering once the snow starts to accumulate. New beetles don't have a lot of ground clearance to start. Like your plates!

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Thanks, kjclow.
I'm running coilovers and plan on getting it back up to "near normal" height when I swap over to my winter wheel-snow tire setup when the snow starts flying.

Before I lowered it, I knew I would need something adjustable, but couldn't afford to bag it just yet . These coilovers will have to do for now ;)

Last edited: