New Break-in Procedure or Same?

peace_of_soul

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2012 Passat
We just acquired our 2012 Passat (TDI SE, 6M) on Saturday, with a whopping 7.6 miles on the odometer, and are looking for confirmation on break-in procedure. Summarily, are the existing suggestions still what we're going with or should we be doing something different?

The reason I ask is because of the new six-speed. The change in gears seems to have moved the redline up about 400 RPMs from 4600 (in our 2000 Jetta) to 5000 and I wonder what this means in the real world. Clearly, the idiot light is wrong - they have a light/guide which comes up on the MFI; if it had it's way, the car would literally never go over 2000 RPMs. (This worries me for those with the DSG, if that's really when it thinks one should shift.)

Anyway, thanks in advance. We're happy to continue using Drivebiwire's break-in procedure but figured we should check.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
No breakin required. Did you see anything in the manual? No special oil is used. No scientific testing showing break-in procedures make any difference.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Drive it however you'd like and enjoy. :cool:

Personally, I'd shift between 2500 and 4000 rpms depending on conditions and your motivations.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
We just acquired our 2012 Passat (TDI SE, 6M) on Saturday, with a whopping 7.6 miles on the odometer, and are looking for confirmation on break-in procedure. Summarily, are the existing suggestions still what we're going with or should we be doing something different?

The reason I ask is because of the new six-speed. The change in gears seems to have moved the redline up about 400 RPMs from 4600 (in our 2000 Jetta) to 5000 and I wonder what this means in the real world. Clearly, the idiot light is wrong - they have a light/guide which comes up on the MFI; if it had it's way, the car would literally never go over 2000 RPMs. (This worries me for those with the DSG, if that's really when it thinks one should shift.)

Anyway, thanks in advance. We're happy to continue using Drivebiwire's break-in procedure but figured we should check.
I would. I followed it on my 03 and now my 11. cars ran and run MINT.