New Beetle won't crank/start till the dash lights come on

Smash591

TDI
VW 1.9L New Beetle “BEW”
I know, weird title but that's what I'm experiencing. Turning the key to on turns on the headlights and the radio but not the dash lights... right away. After a delay of anywhere from 2 - 90 seconds the dash lights come on and then the car will start and run normally - until it's shut off then repeat. I read somewhere relay 109 can cause issues with starting, does this scenario fit that relay? Where does relay 109 hide?

Thanks for the assist.

SmashOgre
'04 VW New Beetle 1.9L TDI (BEW)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
109 is typically just the glow plug light that doesn’t come on, everything else lights up normally. The car will crank and crank all day it just won’t start. However the 109’s are cheap, $15 or so and easy to change. You could rule that out but I doubt that the problem on an 04. I think it’s more likely your ignition, will the lights come on if you wiggle the keys?

I’m sure tdiclub has a diy write up but I couldn’t find it so try this beetle specific one.

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
Not really sure on anything, but I would start with checking all of your engine compartment grounds and cleaning them up, including the one under the wiper tray. I just did the same to my 2002 Jetta and a few things seem to be working better.

I did find this forum: https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/2001-jetta-2-0-ecm-electrical-issue-holy-crap-help.5490811/
Post 32 states his fix, a lot of troubleshooting information in the thread but his problem was only similar to yours, not exact.