New battery

pinguinno83

TDI
2001 Jetta
2001 Jetta TDI, essentially falling apart lately. Wouldn't start last week in freezing temps, tried to jump it and still wouldn't turn over. Replaced the battery last night, started fine. Drove to work this morning, battery light started blinking at me. Interestingly enough, at >60mph, a "click" occurred and the light stopped blinking, but once back down to 40mph, blinking resumed. Coincidentally, the freaking driver's side window fell into the door on the way to work as well.

The dealer told me this is the OEM battery, but I have my doubts considering the battery cover won't fit over it, and I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly. After I drive home from work today, I'll have some time to tinker...any ideas about the battery light?

Pharmboy

TDI
01 Golf
Window problem

The clamps that hold the window in place are plastic. Cold makes them snap under stress when the window is frozen in place. A new cable/metal clamp assembly is about $45 U.S.. Takes an hour or so to install- this happened to me a while ago . Did you have to re-code the radio? I am about to replace my battery too-can't find the radio card in the manual.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Pharmboy:

I do not have the radio code for Liath's Monsoon radio. I am not the original owner of the car and, like you, the code was never transferred to the owner's manual. I was concerned abot this because I recently had too pull the radio out to get at some of the wiring back there. However, since this is the radio that originally came in this car when I plugged everything back together the radio was recognized and didn't go into "safe" mode. I believe I've read that if you swap in a radio from a different VW you need the radio code but if you put the radio that came with the car back in then you won't need the code. Hope that helps.

Dan

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If the battery fits inside the little 'box' that goes around the battery, then the top should fit.

If the battery icon in the dash blinks, then check the voltage with the engine running. It you can't get 13.75 volts at the battery while the engine is running, it will never get a full charge. Usually a blinking icon is because one of the following is true:

1) alternator dead
2) battery dead
3) cables/connection is corroded and electrons can't get to where they are needed.
4) the alternator pulley has taken early vacation and won't spin the alternator any more.