New B5.5 wagon with a problem

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
The shudder is not violent, though I can feel it. It is not fast enough to be a buzz. It feels like the engine has hiccups.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
by the time you complete your random swop of parts all of which have no bearing on your problem you could buy a new car

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Yes, I am into it for 23 dollars worth of parts so far, is it time to crush.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
So I removed the valve cover. I would say it has been removed before as there was sealant all the way around it.

The cam looks to have wear. I don't see any chamfer on the lobes and the edges on some are sharp. Without removing it it is hard to say how bad it is. There were none of the usual signs of a really bad cam, ie. the burping sound and a lot of black smoke.

Could a somewhat worn cam cause the shuddering?

I just looked at the cam I had replaced before from my wifes BHW. One of the intake lobes was 0,16 inches low.

I have another cam from my car which is not to bad. Might it be worth switching in to see if that is a cure. The bolts would be a problem.

I would really like to get this shudder figured out before spending a bunch on it. Delete. Timing belt. Tranny service. And likely the cam. Around eleven hundred.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
So I removed the valve cover. I would say it has been removed before as there was sealant all the way around it.

The cam looks to have wear. I don't see any chamfer on the lobes and the edges on some are sharp. Without removing it it is hard to say how bad it is. There were none of the usual signs of a really bad cam, ie. the burping sound and a lot of black smoke.

Could a somewhat worn cam cause the shuddering?

I just looked at the cam I had replaced before from my wifes BHW. One of the intake lobes was 0,16 inches low.

I have another cam from my car which is not to bad. Might it be worth switching in to see if that is a cure. The bolts would be a problem.

I would really like to get this shudder figured out before spending a bunch on it. Delete. Timing belt. Tranny service. And likely the cam. Around eleven hundred.
Do you have any photos of the wear? That definitely could cause a shudder if it were worn enough.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried to post pictures. i can't seem to. I should be able to attach them.

Anyway five of the lobes have the appearance of copper streaking. Is that normal, or an indication of what?

The followers as far as I can see them appear to be black topped. Is that different from original, seems to me I heard that original were not. Would some body change followers and not the cam? I wouldn't think so but after someone welded the flex plate to the torque convertor I guess anything is possible.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
So an update as I did some engine work.

Changed the cam and followers. There was definite wear but not enough to cause a problem.

While there I resealed the injectors. Went well. Also changed the cam sensor.

I did the balance shaft delete. As well as the timing belt and accessories The antifreeze had a green tinge to it.

I also serviced the transmission. The fluid had a red tinge to it.

The car still has the usual shudder under acceleration.

Now, 1900 miles later a new problem. Diesel in the oil and large leak I believe from the front crank seal
Driving it in to the shop there was no power brakes. I guess the next step is the no fun tandem pump servicing

Another interesting thing, when I dropped the engine oil, it came out glug glug glug, rather than the usual stream indicating a crankcase vacuum. The breather hose looks ok.

Is there any likelihood the tandem pump could cause the shudder problem?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Yes a faulty tandem pump can put air into your fuel system, leak diesel into the engine and/or cause low fuel pressure which will cause running issues. I'm over 2 years into a cheap eBay tandem pump as I was going to flip my passat. She's 5 speed and over 50k since.

I'm not sure if the vcds can read tandem pump fuel pressure.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I got it, the tandem pump off. Lucky. Two of the bolts nearly stripped. The last person to do it had them super tight.

The question is is the engine ok. My wife delivered it to me after her 3 hour drive home with a liter and a half of very thin fluid. The engine still sounded normal.

Vaico or Pierburg pump??????? Luk came out.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
What is the crankcase ventilation system? Is there some sort of valve in the valve cover? Then there is an electrical connector where the vent pipe meets the engine air intake pipe. What could that be? My concern is the likely overpressure that caused the front crank seal to leak. Also when I drained the oil it did not flow but glugged, suggesting a vacuum.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The crankcase pressure regulator valve is integral with the valve cover. The electrical connector on the vent line is a heater to prevent freezing in cold weather.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
So, just to finish up this thread. I got the tandem pump changed. That seems to have cured the shuddering. Then I ran into a low boost problem, then a temperature sensor. However it seems straitened out now and I have had a couple of good drives with it.

Of course it has another problem. The cruise on the column is being flaky. I think it is whatever the connection is at the end of the turn signal arm. Is it just wires that go to a connection some where?

It acts like a broken wire that at certain positions make a connection and lo there is cruise. Touch the signal arm and it goes off.

I want to thank all those who have helped me with this car. It is really nice having it on the road.

mozark

TDI
'05 Passat Wagon, Silver, 5sp '05 Passat Wagon, Indigo, auto
Good that you got the shudder fixed.

The turn signal stalks have a tendency to fail at some point. Not too difficult to replace. IIRC on our silver wagon it wasn't the cruise, but the turn signals went berserk.

oilhammer

TDI
The ribbon wire in the stalk cracks as it makes the bend. Somewhat common, replacements often just have small wires there instead.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
So Oilhammer, I take it that I need to replace the wiring harness and it is separate from the switch mechanism?

mozark

TDI
'05 Passat Wagon, Silver, 5sp '05 Passat Wagon, Indigo, auto
If you have multi-function steering wheel 8L0953513S01C is the part number.

Plain steering wheel 1J095351301C (I think.)

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
So, any tips on removal without breaking plastic. I think the steering wheel does not need removal.

It looks like screws on the bottom and then the plastic may separate at the switch.

I

oilhammer

TDI
Remove airbag, remove steering wheel, remove column covers, remove BOTH stalk assemblies, unclip them from each other, install the new one, put it back together.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Oilhammer,

I was hoping it wouldn't be that complicated, oh well.