New armrest lid hinges...yes, I said HINGES!

Would you have any interest in reuphostering your armrest lid? $25.00 w/shipping

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
With a bit of luck, I will have new armrest lid hinges ready to ship in about 4 weeks. I will have an install video posted in a day or two, but the installation is super easy, and the hinges are probably going to last longer than you will own your car.

The "Cutoff Hinge"

The way this works is you will literally cut the old hinges off of your armrest lid, set Hinge A on top of the stub of the old hinge, and using the self-drilling screw supplied with the hinge, you will fasten Hinge A to the lid. After Hinge A has been installed you will set Hinge B on top of Hinge A, they interlock to ensure proper alignment during installation, and then you will secure both hinges to the lid with four more self-drilling screw that will be supplied with hinges.

The hinges were designed so that you can cut off most of the original hinges, but leave a stub, which will be a lot easier than flush cutting, and the stubs will serve as notches that align the new hinges.

All hinges are going to be made in black unless I get a lot of feedback that you want your hinges to match the color of the lid (beige or grey)

We will be offering reupholstering of the lids in leather, pleather, suede, or whatever... pricing is likely to be....

$25.00 for new hinges with a 2 year, free-replacement warranty.
$20-25 for reupholstering in your choice of material.

These prices are NOT set in stone, but I'd really like to get some feedback from everyone, good, bad, in between, questions...

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Good stuff! You'll have my money.
Buy/spend as local as possible. Globalism has made the USA essentially local. So many people have no idea they are handing their cash over to someone who'd just as soon kill them.

mrctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf and 2013 Passat
I am will take both the hinge and the latch. I will need a grey latch though and dont care what color the hinges are. This will be great to finally get this fixed and taken care of.

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
Was just thinking the other day that this would be a great project to figure out. Glad you already did!

I have several armrest lids that I would like to fix when the hinges are available. Black is fine. Also nice that you offer reupholstering.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Congradulations on your son, Andrew!!

And congradulations on a MUCH needed product at a reasonable price. I'll take 5 when they're ready!! :)

LarryLymb

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon 2003 Mojave Beige, 5 speed
Armrest repairs

I need both the latch and hinges for beige, if possible. Also, need it recovered in beige. Thanks.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I'd be down for 1 of them. in black, no latch needed. please let me know when to pre-order.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Definately a "Must Have" !! Nice work-I like the functional creativity.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Andrew, you're starting to have quite a nice collection of fixes for hinges/latches etc...

Have you considered designing one or two more and offering them all as kits for various years? There would be a bit more R&D but I think it would be a good sell... "everything you need to fix the plastic hinges/latches in your MK4". Something like that... I'd buy a couple sets... :)

kooz

TDI
2018 Chevy Cruze Hatchback, Diesel, 6 speed manual, Gray Metallic
I would like a hinge set when you are ready!

THANKS!

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
Andrew, you're starting to have quite a nice collection of fixes for hinges/latches etc...

Have you considered designing one or two more and offering them all as kits for various years? There would be a bit more R&D but I think it would be a good sell... "everything you need to fix the plastic hinges/latches in your MK4". Something like that... I'd buy a couple sets... :)

Yes, there will be one made for Jeep in the not so far future, and other VW models.

Status
Not open for further replies.