New 5th Gear Choice

VW Ron

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Hey Guys
I am thinking about doing a new 5th gear in my 2003 Jetta TDI What would be my best choice

Thanks
Ron

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If you're doing a max of 60, I'd suggest leaving it stock. Taller 5th is for higher speeds.

VW Ron

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
If you're doing a max of 60, I'd suggest leaving it stock. Taller 5th is for higher speeds.
I will be using the car for trips on the interstate going 75 to 80 but I still need to drive 55 to 60 on country roads to get to work. Would a .717 be any help to me?

Thanks
Ron

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Oh yes absolutely, you made it sound like 60 is the most you'll ever do. If you will be doing higher speeds you'll definitely benifit from at least a 0.717

VW Ron

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Basically I would like to know how low I can go and still be able to use 5th starting around 50 to 55

VW Ron

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Also is it worth the money to get a VW gear? Darkside has the aftermarket for half the price.

Thanks
Ron

racerxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd GLS
You may have to modify a conical washer that holds the gear on. I went with .658 and had to chuck the washer and grind down the outside edge of the washer down. Think making a 30 mm circle to a 27mm circle. I don't know they make aftermarket gears. But find the part # and search (google and ebay, ebay international)

I have been saving about 10%-20% on buying VAG parts from Eastern Europe.

Or buy from RYAN HE IS AWESOME!!!! Darkside is great but the USD from the GBP so you will pay a premium.

racerxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5spd GLS
With the .658 gear I would say you need some power improvements nozzles (PP520 .216) and tune (Malone STG3) on it will lug. I down shift more often and never say any noticeable MPG gain. (Got the gears for a crazy good price).

Or go with .700 or .717

VW Ron

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
You may have to modify a conical washer that holds the gear on. I went with .658 and had to chuck the washer and grind down the outside edge of the washer down. Think making a 30 mm circle to a 27mm circle. I don't know they make aftermarket gears. But find the part # and search (google and ebay, ebay international)

I have been saving about 10%-20% on buying VAG parts from Eastern Europe.

Or buy from RYAN HE IS AWESOME!!!! Darkside is great but the USD from the GBP so you will pay a premium.

Thanks. Do you have a link to VAG Parts? Also at what speed can you go into 5th using the .658 gear. Based on the lower RPM I would think you would not want to be in 5th until you hit 52 or 53 MPH at the lowest.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I got a Masiero .717 gear off EbayUK. After a .658 I'm MUCH happier.
At 75mph I'm doing 2400 rpm, wanna' pass? The turbo is ready to go.
At 60 I'm thinking about 4th.
The .717 is a great match to the rev bands, trust me, you won't regret it.

The .658 was too much of a jump for 4th>5th, especially because I do some
towing.

You'll be able to sell your 5th (stock) .756 to the gassers, who want a taller
ratio. Or people who strip them on the TDI's by lugging them in top gear.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I got a Masiero .717 gear off EbayUK. After a .658 I'm MUCH happier.
At 75mph I'm doing 2400 rpm, wanna' pass? The turbo is ready to go.
At 60 I'm thinking about 4th.
The .717 is a great match to the rev bands, trust me, you won't regret it.

The .658 was too much of a jump for 4th>5th, especially because I do some
towing.

You'll be able to sell your 5th (stock) .756 to the gassers, who want a taller
ratio. Or people who strip them on the TDI's by lugging them in top gear.

At the same 75mph, what were your rpm’s using the .658 gear ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
At the same 75mph, what were your rpm’s using the .658 gear ?

IIRC, 2-300 rpm. Doesn't sound like much, but it made all the difference in
highway driving. I can drop back to 65 and cruise comfortably in 5th.
With the taller gear it was really annoying to be downshifting to stop lugging the motor.

I believe IBW had one for a while, and like me, swears by it. The rpm range from one gear to another stays consistent. As pointed out by others,
there's no real FE gain with the .658 ratio. Driving hard to merge in to high speed traffic I'll run 4th to 80. Everybody seems to want to run their motors at low rpms. Sure, you got torque low down, but now you're
stressing our small motors. Run them harder, they like it!

My $.02

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
IIRC, 2-300 rpm. Doesn't sound like much, but it made all the difference in
highway driving. I can drop back to 65 and cruise comfortably in 5th.
With the taller gear it was really annoying to be downshifting to stop lugging the motor.

I believe IBW had one for a while, and like me, swears by it. The rpm range from one gear to another stays consistent. As pointed out by others,
there's no real FE gain with the .658 ratio. Driving hard to merge in to high speed traffic I'll run 4th to 80. Everybody seems to want to run their motors at low rpms. Sure, you got torque low down, but now you're
stressing our small motors. Run them harder, they like it!

My $.02

I believe you about lugging and babying these motors, it’s not the best for them. I drive it like I stole it and I still can get 650-700 mpg tanks, Unless the wife is with me of course.
I’ve learned from my dad and other family members in the islands that all have diesels. Drive them like gas vehicles and it will equal smiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
hey Rruse11, do ALH's lose their cruise when swapping 5th gear ratio from stock? I do believe the lore that the BEW's do...confound them. Been looking at the A-M .717's and do believe I shall take the plunge. 126 GBP is not so bad, and I suspect the VAT deduction will take care of shipping...:) or nearly so.
Thanks!
Douglas

VW Ron

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
So it seems we have heard some good things about the .717.

Anyone have any real world experience with the .658 or .700?

Thanks Ron

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
hey Rruse11, do ALH's lose their cruise when swapping 5th gear ratio from stock? I do believe the lore that the BEW's do...confound them. Been looking at the A-M .717's and do believe I shall take the plunge. 126 GBP is not so bad, and I suspect the VAT deduction will take care of shipping...:) or nearly so.
Thanks!
Douglas
My cruise works in 5th.

VW Ron

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Don't see any currently. There are however several .717 on eBay right now for less than half that price if that's an option for you.

Still deciding and regardless I think I will go with an aftermarket from Darkside as they are a bit lower than e-bay even after the exchange rate.

From all the comments it seems the .717 is better for the driving experience and I am leaning that way.

I myself am a want to be hyper miler as I see very few cars on my way to work but the max I hit is 65 when heading to the plant. I am drawn to the idea of riding out 4th and them keeping it low in 5th or neutral for fuel economy when driving country roads.

When on the interstate I think the 658 would be what I want . I have a tune and will get nozzles but I am fearful that the 658 will dog the engine to much when not doing highway driving.

Speed when passing and power is not what out of the Jetta but I do not want to lug the engine at the same time.

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
My cruise works in 5th.

No problem with my cruiese control.

And the link PakProtector listed is where I got mine.
Good quality, I had it installed by the same guy who did my Peloquin LSD.
He did it while I waited.

Last edited:

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Still deciding and regardless I think I will go with an aftermarket from Darkside as they are a bit lower than e-bay even after the exchange rate.

From all the comments it seems the .717 is better for the driving experience and I am leaning that way.

I myself am a want to be hyper miler as I see very few cars on my way to work but the max I hit is 65 when heading to the plant. I am drawn to the idea of riding out 4th and them keeping it low in 5th or neutral for fuel economy when driving country roads.

When on the interstate I think the 658 would be what I want . I have a tune and will get nozzles but I am fearful that the 658 will dog the engine to much when not doing highway driving.

Speed when passing and power is not what out of the Jetta but I do not want to lug the engine at the same time.
The guys with lower gears must really run 4th out. I don't think I'd like any less gearing, even with more power. The rpm drop would be too much. I think you will like the .717 very much, but you have to decide if it's worth the cost.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
No problem with my cruiese control.

And the link PakProtector listed is where I got mine.
Good quality, I had it installed by the same guy who did my Peloquin LSD.
He did it while I waited.

They'll take off 16% for the VAT if you ask. They just sent me an offer...:) With shipping, 131.58GBP. I took it. Can always get the cruise restored with the inevitable tune( a light one that will also do away with IMO, and EGR ). Now if I could get Malone to respond to a 'where is a local chap to do the tune for me?' we'd be in business. Then install BHW injectors...set up Barney the astronaut-to-be toasting with non-alcoholic champagne, 'It begins...'

cheers,
Douglas

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Cruise will work on an ALH.

Where did you find the .700? I ran a .717 for years and liked it, had a .681 before. .681 wasn't suitable for me. .700 would be sweet.

VW Ron

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI

Where did you find the .700? I ran a .717 for years and liked it, had a .681 before. .681 wasn't suitable for me. .700 would be sweet.
Darkside has the .700 full kit with gsket for 300 GBP but its a VW gear and not aftermarket. They have aftermarket kits in .622, .658, and .717 for 150 GBP

If they had a .700 aftermarket I would get it

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you generally drive at 65 max, you should stick with stock. If you feel you need to fool with it just go up 1 size. Folks who use lower gear are driving 85 regularly.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216

I got mine from Kerma 2 years ago. I assume it is genuine VW - came in their boxes. I think .717 may be better, but I am not dissatisfied with mine. I don't know how anyone does .681. That's too much of a gap from 4th.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)

What are you running now?

I often want a taller 5th gear for 80mph cruising, but there are some large grades on the 101 where I wouldn't want anything different than the stock 5th gear ratio.

One of the things I miss most about my mk6 is that 6-speed transmission.