New 2015 Golf TDI S 6-spd MT

T_D_I_geek

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed
Greetings...pics below of my new 2015 Golf TDI S, 6-speed manual trans. It's a base version with monster mats as the only option. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum; it was instrumental in guiding my decision to purchase a Golf TDI over a Prius or Honda Fit.

Traded-in a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT that got abysmal mpg. I've only had the Golf for a few days, but so far I'm extremely impressed with the engineering, quality, and execution.

I have a 120 mile per day commute, so looking forward to the great mpg with the TDI. I'll report back on FE numbers once I have a couple of tanks through it.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Congratulations on the new car! with your commute, the TDI should serve you well. :)

flyingtoaster

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
You have a beautiful house. Congratulations on the car. The S model hits the sweet spot when it comes to cost-to-benefit ratio. I have the TDI floor mats too and they are the icing on the cake.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
Same car here, S Manual blue western MA throw your numbers up on Fuelly I need some long commute company.

mtnhouse

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Congratulations! I was on the same scenario few months ago, I cant decide if I should get a prius or TDI. I picked the TDI because I'm on the fwy a lot and I heard TDI is more fun to drive. TDI is really fun to drive and love the torque :) I also have the same 120miles commute. I bought a white S model and I'm averaging 55mpg. I already put 1000 miles ;)

T_D_I_geek

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed
How's lag? It was bad in the DSG.
Based on a couple of reviews - in particular the Car and Driver review of the 6-speed manual Golf TDI - I assumed the turbo lag might be objectionable. However in both normal driving and when I'm pushing it a bit, it's a non-issue. I'm very pleased with the driveability/performance of the car. The turbo boost seems to build more gradually in the TDI versus other (gas) turbo's I've driven, therefore it doesn't have that annoying power on/power off feeling.

T_D_I_geek

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed
Same car here, S Manual blue western MA throw your numbers up on Fuelly I need some long commute company.
First tank, 20% city/80% highwayish...measured directly, 45.9 mpg. My MFD indicated 50.6 mpg for this first tank; so at least for this first tank it's biased high by 10%. This first tank included quite a bit of spirited driving, definitely not mpg focused.

After fueling up, this afternoon on my 60 mile commute home, I set cruise at 65 mph, and managed 59.3 mpg for my commute; which is about 40 miles of interstate and 20 miles on a two-lane hilly state route.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
Love it... Color good, ride good, space good , crazy quiet! And MPGs to spare

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
congrats. enjoy. look forward to ongoing reports. I am waiting till 2016...will order next summer.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
?... The turbo boost seems to build more gradually in the TDI versus other (gas) turbo's I've driven, therefore it doesn't have that annoying power on/power off feeling.
Right! Therein lies the attraction to a TDI. On boost, it just pulls like a locomotive... With mpg's to boot.

I'm so glad you got a TDI. PrIus's drive like a 20 year old golf cart in comparison. They are a simple econobox with an expensive (over rated) drivetrain.

An Audi guy would never agree, but these VDubs have a similar heritage, and have road manners to match.

Good choice! You'll enjoy your car more and more as you add miles.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
Still waiting for 2-door model.
Same. I see mentioned quite a bit there will be no 2dr TDI with the 7's, but I am holding out hope that may change at some point. It can be done easy enough since there are 2dr GTI and TSI golfs, so it's not like it would take much to get a 2dr TDI going. I'm hoping that the no 2dr TDI simply stems from the previous plans of a north American GTD covering that base, and since there will be no GTD now, that they might produce some 2drs at some point during this model run. Might be wishful thinking and I am not expecting much, but it seems like a logical thing to me, so we shall see.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
NO 2 doors in the order guide....Like is this complicated to figure out? Wish all you want. Aint coming....