"New" 2015 and 2016 Audi Mileage?

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
"New" 2015 and 2016 Audi MPG?

I picked up a "new" 2016 Q5 TDI in early February. The first MPG calculation was off because the dealer had filled the tank, and it was not clear if the odometer had been reset.

My 2014 Q5 TDI consistently got above 30 mpg, and close to or over 600 miles on a tank of fuel. Don't recall ever getting below 27 mpg on a tank of fuel.

My first full tank of fuel got me 484 miles and 26.1 mpg. Disappointed. Hopefully, it is winter diesel or needs to be broken in.

Last edited:

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
Hard to say on A7 right now. Couple hundred miles in.
in stop and go traffic heavy looks like 27-28 mpg.

I took it out on the freeway and had good movement it was 36-37 mpg.

Still early, but those numbers are satisfactory for me so far.

Paid twice the price of our 2013 passat at the time, and it is twice the car...l ride, noise and comfort all tops so far.

bhuizer

TDI
2014 Toureg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, Past: 2012 Touareg TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
Winter blend fuel has a big impact on fuel mileage. If you live in a northern state, you should see a change in fuel towards the end of March.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
Winter blend fuel has a big impact on fuel mileage. If you live in a northern state, you should see a change in fuel towards the end of March.
On my 3rd tank of fuel. Still have not cracked 30 mpg. I used to regularly get 30-32 mpg in my 2014 Q5 TDI pre fix.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Highway is and always will be where the TDI engine shines, i think the fix will adversely affect around town mileage more than highway miles where the emissions system can stay at optimal temps.

Whats your highway/around town/city driving? We notice mid 30's in our passat around town and then mid 40's on the highway, pretty darn identical to our non fixed '12 Passat.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
But we went 200 miles round trip yesterday, all highway. Before we left, the indicator said we had 280 miles left before an empty tank. We barely made it 220 miles. The average mpg for the trip was about 32 mpg. In the 2014 Q5 TDI (pre-fix), we would typically average in the mid 30's on such trips.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
But we went 200 miles round trip yesterday, all highway. Before we left, the indicator said we had 280 miles left before an empty tank. We barely made it 220 miles. The average mpg for the trip was about 32 mpg. In the 2014 Q5 TDI (pre-fix), we would typically average in the mid 30's on such trips.

The range to empty indicator on my 2015 Q5 lies like a dog. My calculated mileage pre and post fix is no different, taking into account seasons and trips. Just had a couple tanks averaging over 35mpg.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
I picked up a "new" 2016 Q5 TDI in early February. The first MPG calculation was off because the dealer had filled the tank, and it was not clear if the odometer had been reset.

My 2014 Q5 TDI consistently got above 30 mpg, and close to or over 600 miles on a tank of fuel. Don't recall ever getting below 27 mpg on a tank of fuel.

My first full tank of fuel got me 484 miles and 26.1 mpg. Disappointed. Hopefully, it is winter diesel or needs to be broken in.

Read up on how to properly break your diesel in. Once the procedure has been followed amd your rings are well set you will notice an improvement in milage. But thsts for low milage vehicles

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
Read up on how to properly break your diesel in. Once the procedure has been followed amd your rings are well set you will notice an improvement in milage. But thsts for low milage vehicles
Thanks. I believe I am past the break in period, which is about 150 hours. I drove it easy and followed the recommendations here:

http://www.woltergroupllc.com/breaking-in-a-diesel-engine/

Hopefully, the transition from winter fuel and the break in will get me to 600 miles per tank and over 30 mpg in the next tank or so.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
I had driven mine following the procedure for three months. It wasnt till after its first oil change and a non stop 700 mile drive through the rockies that it finally got broken in. Just sayin

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Using the dash mpg numbers only leads to confusion & wasted time (yours and others', if you post based on the dashboard numbers). Don't do it. Use the odometer and the pump reading to compute your fuel mileage.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
Using the dash mpg numbers only leads to confusion & wasted time (yours and others', if you post based on the dashboard numbers). Don't do it. Use the odometer and the pump reading to compute your fuel mileage.
The numbers I posted are hand calculated. Miles/gallons for each tank of fuel added. Reset the meter to 0 on every fill up.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
"Winter blend fuel has a big impact on fuel mileage. If you live in a northern state, you should see a change in fuel towards the end of March."
I work in a Hydrocracker unit where we make jet fuel and diesel. Yes winter diesel is lighter and has less btu's so you get worse mileage. What we have to do in the tower when we make diesel for winter, we have to target a freeze as cold as -25 or more so it does not gel up, which means the diesel is lighter, and the lighter fuel has less BTU's so less mileage. But for summer diesel the freeze target can be +25 or more, so the fuel is heavier, and heavier is hotter, which equals more BTU's, so you get better mileage. But it doesn't matter if you live in a northern state or not, all diesel is winter diesel with the colder freeze target for all states in the winter because a long haul trucker can fill up in a southern state and easily make it to a colder northern state, and we don't want their diesel to gel up once they reach a colder state. So if you live in a southern state, you have pretty much the same diesel as the northern states.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Mark J!!! Can you turn the dial up a tiny bit and raise the summer blend’s cetane level by about ten? Be a pal and give these german oil-burners the blend they were designed for. Hehe. Jk

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Highway is and always will be where the TDI engine shines, i think the fix will adversely affect around town mileage more than highway miles where the emissions system can stay at optimal temps.

Whats your highway/around town/city driving? We notice mid 30's in our passat around town and then mid 40's on the highway, pretty darn identical to our non fixed '12 Passat.
Actually in town driving they shine as well. Excluding the ridiculous stop / start technology the diesel does considerably better with in-town traffic than gasoline powered cars.

Steve

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
Update on this. Original "new" 2016 Q5 TDI picked up in February 2018. Have over 11,000 on the vehicle. I used to regularly drive over 600 miles between fill ups. I actually drive more freeway now then with my 2014 Q5 TDI. I know we are in the winter fuel season in NJ, but I have yet to go over 550 miles on a tank, typically averaging around 27-28 mpg, whereas the 2014 Q5 TDI averaged over 30 mpg.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
My mileage has gone down between 5 and 10 percent. It could easily be more if I didn’t override the shifting behavior whenever possible using my paddle shifters. Even at higher speeds, the programming loves to down shift into 7th when I prefer to let the turbo spool up and use 8th.