New 2014 TDI Passat SEL Clarification needed on extended emissions warranty

seb1899

TDI
I drank the 'kool ade' and purchased a 2014 Passat TDI SEL with 60621mi
I am fortunate to have a good VW repair shop that has been in business for eons (they did the timing belt on my 91 Jetta in '95. This TDI Passat is to replace my Eos as I do not want to deal with potential roof issues and I hope I have not traded potential roof problems for the issues I read here.

The car I purchased was sold at retail to the original owner 11/07/13 and was bought back by VW 06/23/2017 odometer reading 46,251 mi. The vehicle was offered for retail sale by a Volkswagen dealer 02/26/20 odometer 46,281and the “fix”was done 3/12/20 odometer reading 46,282 and the VW dealer put it up for auction 05/18/20 46,282 mi and it was purchased by a used car dealer 07/06/20 and the odometer reading was 46,287. This used car dealer sold it at auction 02/13/21 after putting on13,885 mi in the 7 or so months they owned it. The odometer read 60,621 when I bought it from the dealer who purchased it auction

Can some one here tell me the dates and mileage that govern the extended warranty that Volkswagen offered in the settlement – is it mileage and date of the first owner or is it mileage and date of the ‘fix’ and subsequent date offered for sale by a Volkswagen dealer.

What will this extended warranty cover? Almost anything can be emissions related eg diesel particulate filter to the turbo charger who adjudicates what is emissions related or do you have to go to the “mat” for any dealer participation. I guess what I am asking is there much or any value to me under the extended emissions warranty.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Quick search turns it up fast.

2 parts to this and each has a time and mileage component and which ever of the two provides the longest duration.

1. Has to do with the date the car was first sold (in service date 11/07/13 and 0 miles).
2. Has to do with after the fix (3/12/20 odometer reading 46,282).

Current mileage: 60,621

Those are the three relevant data point here. Should be easy from there. Read and know the whole document if your intent is to use it. Read here and get to know about your car. It helps you greatly if you can discuss things with at least some general knowledge of its systems.

Last edited:

seb1899

TDI
After reading the extended emissions warranty points I understand that it is the GREATER of Original Service Date 10Years plus 3 months or 123,000 miles which would be Feb 7, 2024 or 123,000 mi

Or

4 years plus 3 months and 51,000 miles added to the odometer reading on the “fix” date which would be 3-12-20 + 4yrs and 3 months which is June 12, 2024 and an odometer reading 46,282 plus 51,000 mi or 97, 282 to the first person who purchases the vehicle in good faith, not for resale. I Interpret this to be me as the previous owners were both used car dealers the one I bought the car from and the interim owner after the “fix”

So, the emission warranty expiration dates are Feb 7, 2024 and 123,000 mi or June 12, 2024 and 97, 282 mi so the greater of the 2 could be interpreted either way June 12, 2024 is the greater date with lesser mileage 97,282 and February 7, 2024 is a shorter duration with a greater mileage factor.

Do I have this right? So I guess if a failure or problem is adjudicated to be emission related it is covered under warranty??

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It isn't one or the other, it is which ever one works out best in your favor.

"The Extended Emissions Warranty period with this additional warranty extension will be the greater of:"

The Extended Emissions Warranty follows the car, not the owner.

"This extended emissions warranty is fully transferable to subsequent
owners."

Anything that sets a check engine light except for transmission related faults, is considered covered.

"
Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty
 The entire exhaust after treatment system, including the Selective
Catalytic Reduction converter (SCR), Reducing Agent (AdBlue®)
Injector, other Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) system components, Diesel
Particulate Filter (DPF) including Oxidation Catalytic Converter, the
exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators;
 The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail,
fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve, and all sensors and actuators;
 The EGR system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter, EGR
temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and
actuators;
 The charge air temperature sensor and air-mass sensor;
 The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper;
 The glow plug;
 The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, any malfunctions detected
by the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system other than those related
to the transmission".

All quoted right from the document I linked for you. I fear you are going to have a difficult time if you don't understand this document now.

seb1899

TDI
Thanks for the "education". I would think it will be difficult getting dealer participation as mfg "flat rate" reimbursement is usually low as the rate is work being done under optimum conditions but maybe I am too pessimistic.
I am looking forward to puting some miles on and enjoying the "whistles & bells" that are on this car :)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They are required to participate by court order. You may have no issues at all or you may have to assert your court ordered warranty or forget it and do your own thing. Up to you. Can't see paying if you can get it covered. But you have to know what is required of them and you and be able to discuss it in a civil yet knowledgeable manner. If the dealer balks then go to VWoA. Then as a last resort if needed try and get the Class action lawyers to help you. I am not necessarily against deleting all that stuff but it wouldn't be my first choice. That isn't cheap either. If warranty resolution fails then out it goes.

Last edited: